Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Group riding CB Radio question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1267156-group-riding-cb-radio-question.html)

Circa58 01-11-2019 09:37 AM

Group riding CB Radio question

OK, I will be going on a Group trip this year to the Rolling Thunder with some buddies (8) and they all use the Wired CB Radio communication.
Since I have wireless WHIM, I dont need the CB, but then, none of them in the group have a Wireless headset.

Is there anyway I can hear their CB talk without buying the CB radio module? The CB module and Push To Talk controls new, are expensive and my wireless is fine for me.

If I could find a used CB module I would probably install it anyway, but I wont spend $400 for it.

Brewmany 01-11-2019 11:28 AM

You won't be able to hear CB radio traffic unless you have a CB radio. Your whim system (or more correctly, your bluetooth enabled wireless headset) would let you possibly daisy chain to other blue tooth enabled headsets, but it won't pair with the wired headset on another bike.
You will be effectively isolated from the other bikes.

Yeah, the HD CB module, switches and antenna cost a pretty penny.

Same dilemma I'm having with one of my riding buddies. I have the CB, he doesn't. He just popped for the WHIM and the HD Branded Senna headset.

I think I'll end up with the WHIM system myself this coming summer. If everyone is using a compatible blue tooth headset, that would let you all possibly talk to each other thru the headsets.

Circa58 01-11-2019 11:39 AM

I wonder if I could wear an earpiece and use a portable handheld CB Radio, I dont know this stuff well, but I assume I would have to have the crystal in a hand held matched to the HD crystal.

My14Ultra 01-11-2019 12:13 PM

Circa58,
The CB radio channels are standard across all CB radios. I loaned my brother my handheld CB this summer on our trip to Sturgis and he was driving his car and I was talking to him on my CB on the Motorcycle fine. Just a standard handheld CB, set to the same channels and you should have no problem talking--range was not that far but line of site worked good. On the trip.
Ride safe!

Circa58 01-11-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by My14Ultra (Post 17952586)
Circa58,
The CB radio channels are standard across all CB radios. I loaned my brother my handheld CB this summer on our trip to Sturgis and he was driving his car and I was talking to him on my CB on the Motorcycle fine. Just a standard handheld CB, set to the same channels and you should have no problem talking--range was not that far but line of site worked good. On the trip.
Ride safe!

That would be fine for me, I would just like to hear them, not to concerned about talking with them

30glock 01-11-2019 01:28 PM

Miss understanding on my part

Circa58 01-11-2019 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 30glock (Post 17952781)
Lots of misinformation here, you can absolutely use your WHIM to communicate with riders on their CB, I ride with a buddy who has the WHIM system
( 18 CVO Ultra ) and we communicate just fine over CB.

Is there anyway I can hear their CB talk without buying the CB radio module?

I dont have a CB module in my SGS, and the module with Push to Talk and antennae is $450 :-(

penmaker 01-11-2019 01:41 PM

Without having a CB, whether the HD module, handheld or other type of CB radio or scanner that picks up CB frequencies, you cannot hear others on the CB.

penmaker 01-11-2019 01:44 PM

Your buddy's bike has a CB and he uses his WHIM system to talk through the CB. The WHIM is on a totally different frequency and modulation type than CB radio.

sailmotion 01-11-2019 01:51 PM

No idea about WHIM compatibility. A handheld CB with an earbud will certainly work for listening. You might also get an earbud with a voice-activated mic built in in order to have 2-way communication; however, I believe the ambient noise on the bike would render the mic useless unless you can tuck it up under a FF helmet. BTW, my wife uses a handheld to communicate with me on my bike for those rare occasions she is following me in a cage.