Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD adaptive LED

Old 03-11-2019, 09:40 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtumolo
I am looking at getting a JWSpeaker adaptive headlight. Wanted to know how people like them? Do they provide a huge increase in visable light compared to the stock 2016 street glide light?
I have the JW Speaker 8790A on my '15 Ultra, and I would say the "down the road" light is about the same as the stock "Daymaker". I will say that the adaptive function DOES work well, although the original version (which I have) doesn't allow the adaptive lighting WITH the High Beam. The Gen 2 version of this light uses the adaptive lighting with both low and high beam.

Filling into the corners when you lean is apparent- I would say they could be a little bit brighter, but they work as advertised and the sharp "horizon" you get with most LED headlights is filled by the adaptive lighting. I like it; but I have to re-set my headlamp mounting ring's adjustments: I need to find "battlesight zero" and re-adjust the lamp so I have a better punch down the road when upright.

I still want to see how the HD Adaptive works: the fill LEDs on the HD version are on the top and bottom of the bulb, where the JW Speaker 8790A has them on the sides (there's a good comparison pic a few posts back to show that HD didn't just slap a bar and shield and $100 bucks onto a JW Speaker headlight). The HD Adaptive also allows the adaptive functionality with high beams- that's something I wish JW Speaker had included with the 8790A Gen 1.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:06 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Try flipping the bulbs upside down in the auxiliary lights and try the difference. Works wonders for me at night. Does what the adaptive headlight does but does it all the time, not just when you turn. If you don't like it you can flip them back.

ETA: And it's FREE.
I did the bulb flip and it made a lot of light above the road up into the trees and none on the road surface. I think it would be OK in the city but not in the country. But by flipping the bulbs I’ve seen how the pattern is almost straight down to just below the main beam in normal position. I’m waiting on the socket to adjust the spots higher so I have light on the road and upward.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:02 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Try adding LED fog lamps. You won’t want for brighter lights again.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by K Melancon
I did the bulb flip and it made a lot of light above the road up into the trees and none on the road surface. I think it would be OK in the city but not in the country. But by flipping the bulbs I’ve seen how the pattern is almost straight down to just below the main beam in normal position. I’m waiting on the socket to adjust the spots higher so I have light on the road and upward.
On my motor I had to move the auxiliary light beam cutoff pattern DOWN so they put more light on the road surface in front of me and still have lots of light in the trees. I put a horizontal tape line on the wall of the garage (IIRC at 42" above the floor) and used that to set the flipped auxiliaries. I did get the Snap-On flare socket and it made the job easier (but cost $50). Good luck.

ETA : If you're in South Louisiana, have you been to Arnaudville and eaten at Mayran's Maison de Manger? The Egg-O-Mayran is the best breakfast on the planet.
https://www.myranscajun.com/

Last edited by Sierra977; 03-13-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 AM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nuljas23
No experience with any of the adaptive headlights but for my 18 I went with the vision x headlight, Im a light snob and do a lot of research before buying. In my opinion it’s the best out there right now
Where do I get the Vision X?
I have totally had it with the HD Daymaker POS .
The Daymaker is appropriately named as I'm makes you ride in the Daytime.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:56 AM
shrubs2000
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woodmnctry
I bought all three front ones from Ciro3d last year. Plus I bought the plug to allow high and low beams on the headlamp when the high beam is on. Makes night driving much easier as they are bight!

The following users liked this post:
Ciro3d (03-18-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:21 PM
nuljas23
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by woodmnctry
tons of places, all over ebay. I bought mine from a site sponsor on an offroad forum since they’ll give forum members a good discount.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:24 PM
nuljas23
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shrubs2000
I bought all three front ones from Ciro3d last year. Plus I bought the plug to allow high and low beams on the headlamp when the high beam is on. Makes night driving much easier as they are bight!
i don’t know what year things changed but that harness is no longer needed on the new bikes, I asked for it for my 18 and they said it’d illuminate all lights when switched to high beam. I was skeptical but it does

Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 PM
EvoGlide95
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey everyone. Just wondering about these LED headlights. I ride a 95 with the original Bosch headlight. Thinking about upgrading to an LED. not much into technology on bikes, hence the evo, but i wanna know - are these LED lights much better?

Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Did you try J.W.speaker?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD adaptive LED