Sponsored by:

CoolFlow Fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 AM
TBagger
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkDragon
I think there is an option to do that through the bike wiring AUX plug and set it to Auto mode on the Boom display, the only reason I went with my setup is due to not having another AUX plug on the left side to patch in through the bike as I am using it for my PowerVision so the shop wired it that way for me with some sort of splitter.

I have tried CoolFlow fan couple of times so far and I really can't tell if it's doing what it's supposed to do. I am still getting heat coming at my calf but I think that's because of the Love Jugs doing what's supposed to do. I really can't tell from my setup for sure, wife has not been on the bike with me since it was installed. We are going to Vegas Bike Fest in 2 weeks so we'll see then.
Umh, that would be great. If that's an option seems as though they would include that in the instructions for the twin cam models. For the newer M8's, I thought they do operate already with some sort of auto on/off. Hoping others may pipe in on this one.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:16 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by TBagger
...For the newer M8's, I thought they do operate already with some sort of auto on/off. Hoping others may pipe in on this one.
On my 2018 it’s “On”, “Auto” or “Off” via the switch. The mode is reflected on the speedo.

It is one of the best add-ons - does exactly what it’s supposed to do. Pulls the heat down and away from the rider / passenger.

The following users liked this post:
Michael Haz (09-22-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 11:12 PM
HDSledge
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TBagger
My 110" Stage III gets pretty hot to the point the wifey complains. I've been strongly considering the Cool Flow set up from HD. It would be great if somehow to hook it up with a heat sensing on/off set up, rather than just on/off by auxiliary switch. Anyone figured that out yet ?
Models prior to 2017 not sure except for switched operation. You would need the speed sensor and ambient temp sensor inputs as in the second kit. No idea how to do that. For switched don't see a reason to turn it off other than fan life expectancy. If I find out different I'll splice a toggle switch into the wiring under the seat and mount it near the fan.

After reading the below I realized the controlled install only activates the fan at temps above 395 and if <40mph @ 419!! What the heck good is that if your frickin leg is cooking at a stop and the temp is just under the trigger number? Sounds to me like the temp controlled setting is useless. If I am sitting at a light I want to be able to switch it on and blow the heat away. Screw it I'm keeping mine on all the time.

2009-2016 models
2017-2020 models: (there is a manual setting for it also)
AUTO setting: The fan operates based on a combination of vehicle speed, engine temperature and ambient air temperature.
  1. Vehicles with Ambient Air Sensors
    1. The fan runs at speeds below 64 km/h (40 mph) when the engine temperature is above 95 °C (203 °F) and ambient air temperature is above 15 °C (59 °F).
    2. The fan runs at speeds below 64 km/h (40 mph) when the engine temperature is above 215 °C (419 °F) and ambient air temperature is below 15 °C (59 °F).
    3. Fan turns off if vehicle speed exceeds 72 km/h (45 mph) or if engine temperature goes below this temperature 202 °C (395 °F).
  1. Vehicles without Ambient Air Sensors
    1. The fan runs at speeds below 64 km/h (40 mph) when the engine temperature is above 95 °C (203 °F).
    2. Fan turns off if vehicle speed exceeds 72 km/h (45 mph) of if engine temperature goes below this temperature 82 °C (179 °F).
      AUTO setting: The fan operates based on a combination of vehicle speed, engine temperature and ambient air temperature.
    3. Vehicles with Ambient Air Sensors
      1. The fan runs at speeds below 64 km/h (40 mph) when the engine temperature is above 95 °C (203 °F) and ambient air temperature is above 15 °C (59 °F).
      2. The fan runs at speeds below 64 km/h (40 mph) when the engine temperature is above 215 °C (419 °F) and ambient air temperature is below 15 °C (59 °F).
      3. Fan turns off if vehicle speed exceeds 72 km/h (45 mph) or if engine temperature goes below this temperature 202 °C (395 °F).
    4. Vehicles without Ambient Air Sensors
      1. The fan runs at speeds below 64 km/h (40 mph) when the engine temperature is above 95 °C (203 °F).
      2. Fan turns off if vehicle speed exceeds 72 km/h (45 mph) of if engine temperature goes below this temperature 82 °C (179 °F).

Last edited by HDSledge; 09-21-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:35 AM
TBagger
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for that input "HDSledge", probably makes more sense just to leave it on all the time. I just didn't want to mess with it going down the road or fiddling with it at a stop light. Def. on the to-do list for the off season.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:21 AM
BlkDragon
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I left mine on after couple of lights so pretty much after motor is completely warmed up...…...I like manual switch where I can control it and not actually a pain to deal with as it's in clear view and easy to switch it on/off.

I am thrilled to know this fan really does work as someone mentioned so I don't feel spending $410 and not get what I paid for

Old 09-22-2019, 01:10 PM
HDSledge
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkDragon
I left mine on after couple of lights so pretty much after motor is completely warmed up...…...I like manual switch where I can control it and not actually a pain to deal with as it's in clear view and easy to switch it on/off.

I am thrilled to know this fan really does work as someone mentioned so I don't feel spending $410 and not get what I paid for
Buy the fan alone and a acc harness splitter for $120 total. If you are going switched you don't need all the other parts that come in the kit.

Btw I was mistaken on the temp req. to activate it. Activates 203 at speeds less than 40 with ambient temp at over 59, but if ambient is less than 59 fan will not activate until engine temp is over 400. Too hot.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:51 PM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the fan on my 2015 Limited. It doesn't interface with the ECU so it's on or off by using the switch on the dash....

If it's 80 degrees or warmer I just turn it on and forget about it...