touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

NO NO and no

Old 03-08-2019, 10:46 PM
kosanow1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running a decated head pipe and V&H 4 inch slip ons for 22,000 miles without a turner. I've experimented several times with different combination. Sometimes with the stock slip on. Sometimes with the headpipe with the cat still in it. It usually takes about a tank of fuel and the bike starts running like new. For power it seems like the decated head pipe with the V&H 4 inch slip ons. For mileage the decated head pipe and the stock slip ons. This is on a 2015 FLHTK with 31000 on it now. Going over 10,000 foot passes and several feet above sea level. Ghoulardo you will be ok with your set-up

Old 03-09-2019, 06:27 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

The catless pipe is fine but I'd get rid of the FP3 and get the bike tuned with a Power Vision from a component tuner in my area. All you need to do is buy a License from them for the Power Vision for say around $150 then pay for the dyno tune. I guarantee it will run better than the FP3.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:36 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
The catless pipe is fine but I'd get rid of the FP3 and get the bike tuned with a Power Vision from a component tuner in my area. All you need to do is buy a License from them for the Power Vision for say around $150 then pay for the dyno tune. I guarantee it will run better than the FP3.
Just an FYI, but the FP3 can be used to dyno tune. It's the best selling fuel management device out there, so the tuners would benefit from getting the software from V&H and learning how to tune with it. I don't believe there are many FP3 owners who are going to ditch their FP3s in favor of another tuning device. I know I wouldn't.

https://fuelpak.vanceandhines.com/pro/

The following 2 users liked this post by GalvTexGuy:
hbsoldier3 (03-09-2019), talkingrock (04-21-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

If you're going to spend all of that money on a PV and dyno tune, why cheap out with a decatted head pipe? Why not do it right and get a new catless head pipe?

The following 2 users liked this post by BigMike:
hbsoldier3 (03-10-2019), ringer1969 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:50 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Just an FYI, but the FP3 can be used to dyno tune. It's the best selling fuel management device out there, so the tuners would benefit from getting the software from V&H and learning how to tune with it. I don't believe there are many FP3 owners who are going to ditch their FP3s in favor of another tuning device. I know I wouldn't.

https://fuelpak.vanceandhines.com/pro/
I am a firm believer in Vance & Hines and their FP3. Have had nothing but the greatest customer support from Cheyne at FP3 support. He has tweaked my maps on a Sunday, and one time when he was on vacation. Have started more than one thread about they can be dyno tuned. It is a great product; however, I did get a Power Vision from Fuel moto, and there canned map for my bike out performs the best map on my FP3. Getting the bike dynoed this week, we will see what happens.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:33 PM
SNDSLGR
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Dumbest post ive read on here in a while.

Ever even used fp3? What would even make you say that? I have no doubt PV is a great product and you can get great results but not everyone wants dyno bills.

He just gutted his headpipe at home and had a friend weld it up... sound like he is interested in dyno time?

Last edited by SNDSLGR; 03-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:02 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SNDSLGR
Dumbest post ive read on here in a while.

Ever even used fp3? What would even make you say that? I have no doubt PV is a great product and you can get great results but not everyone wants dyno bills.

He just gutted his headpipe at home and had a friend weld it up... sound like he is interested in dyno time?
..Listen man, this is not the dumbest i've read, yours is because your talking out of your azz and not using the brain that the Good Lord gave you, or maybe he didn't. I can show you dyno sheet after dyno sheet where you get more power from a Power Vision, TTS tuners than the cheaper FP3. If you want to see it for yourself go to FB page of J&B Performance and see where they have based lined the bikes with the V&H's tuners and then tuned with a PV or TTS.
Then after you see the proof ask a component tuner which he'd rather use. Will a FP3 tune a bike, sure it will but it just doesn't have the parameters inside the device to change some things as does the PV or the TTS tuner.
Also if you want to ride the bike sorta close to the tune it needs then by all means use the FP3, it's a cheaper way to tune.

GalvTexGuy say's : the dyno tuners would benefit from getting use to tuning them. Well there's a reason for that and again it goes back to the parameters inside the product. If I was dynoing bikes for a living and you brought me an FP3 and I said that I can't get the HP and TQ from this tuner and you said that's fine and I agreed to tune your bike, then say down the rd. you decided to have it tuned somewhere else and they used a PV and got 8 to 10 more ponies and Tq. and that person decided to tell his buddies that the tuner that tuned it the 1st time didn't know what he was doing, then he's just hurt his business.
So I knew your bike was tuned with one and again that's cool if that's what you want but there's a good reason why the tuners don't like the FP3.

SNDSLGR : I do not get on here and make suggestions to someone if I don't have proof. My tuners will not even use the FP3 for the reason I described.
I will agree with you on one thing though, ever one doesn't want to spend that money on a dyno tune, I understand that perfectly, I do. Money's tight and after we pay 30,000 for a bike it's hard to pony up more cash, it's very rough on myself as well but I'm one of those guys that wants the most my engine will give me with whatever combo I'm running at that particular time. I only made my suggestion for best possible outcome for that person.

So do your homework before you say that a post is dumb because in the end it only makes you look not so smart.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:24 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

..Listen man, this is not the dumbest i've read, yours is because your talking out of your azz and not using the brain that the Good Lord gave you, or maybe he didn't. I can show you dyno sheet after dyno sheet where you get more power from a Power Vision, TTS tuners than the cheaper FP3. If you want to see it for yourself go to FB page of J&B Performance and see where they have based lined the bikes with the V&H's tuners and then tuned with a PV or TTS.
Then after you see the proof ask a component tuner which he'd rather use. Will a FP3 tune a bike, sure it will but it just doesn't have the parameters inside the device to change some things as does the PV or the TTS tuner.
Also if you want to ride the bike sorta close to the tune it needs then by all means use the FP3, it's a cheaper way to tune.

GalvTexGuy say's : the dyno tuners would benefit from getting use to tuning them. Well there's a reason for that and again it goes back to the parameters inside the product. If I was dynoing bikes for a living and you brought me an FP3 and I said that I can't get the HP and TQ from this tuner and you said that's fine and I agreed to tune your bike, then say down the rd. you decided to have it tuned somewhere else and they used a PV and got 8 to 10 more ponies and Tq. and that person decided to tell his buddies that the tuner that tuned it the 1st time didn't know what he was doing, then he's just hurt his business.
So I knew your bike was tuned with one and again that's cool if that's what you want but there's a good reason why the tuners don't like the FP3.

SNDSLGR : I do not get on here and make suggestions to someone if I don't have proof. My tuners will not even use the FP3 for the reason I described.
I will agree with you on one thing though, ever one doesn't want to spend that money on a dyno tune, I understand that perfectly, I do. Money's tight and after we pay 30,000 for a bike it's hard to pony up more cash, it's very rough on myself as well but I'm one of those guys that wants the most my engine will give me with whatever combo I'm running at that particular time. I only made my suggestion for best possible outcome for that person.

So do your homework before you say that a post is dumb because in the end it only makes you look not so smart.
Interested to know how much engine building and tuning you’ve done. I’m sure you’ve read a lot about tuning and probably knowledgeable. You’re getting pretty bent out of shape about this and you’re way off base when it comes to a simple stage one. Moving from an FP3 to a Power Vision for a simple stage 1 isn’t going to yield more than 2% from a canned map to a full blown dyno tune. On the other hand, build the engine and you’re just stupid not to get it custom tuned. With that said, a custom dyno tune still only gets you close as a dyno room doesn’t simulate real world conditions. If I get my bike tuned perfectly in Atlanta and ride anywhere else in the country and they do a base run, it will show where improvements can be made.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:00 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

My 2014 Limited has decatted headpipe and FP3, couldn't be happier.

The following users liked this post:
u wish u could ride (03-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Decated headpipe and FP3