2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decated headpipe and FP3

Old 03-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Mike I have built engines on my bikes but chose not to on my last one I let J&B Performance do it. I also wouldn't have got so bent out of shape if Mr no it all hadn't called my post the dumbest post he e ER seen. As far as a stage 1 goes, I'll still spend the money to get it dynoed because apparently I like getting my bike tuned properly . So if anyone wants to run the FP3 then by all means do so but regardless of what your being told in the end it's your money, your bike so tune it the way you want. I just choose to use the PV and have J&B tune it.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

Jumping late, built engines, raced bikes, Don't do it any more getting old but I like my bikes to preform, so I do headers, A/C, power commander and of course a dyno tune. Only way to get it right. Not saying some of the self tuners don't work. So de-cated pipes, F3 tuner will get you in the neighborhood, but on the wrong block. Most of the time you can tell who is full of themselves and the ones who know. It reminds of a guy who comes over my place to get some work done cheep, then tells me how to do it. That's why I say drop the bike off and I will call when its done.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:15 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

In case some of you guys haven't looked at the link I posted, V&H has developed and supports tuning software for the FP3. This is a recent development and, as I stated, FP3 (according to V&H) is the most popular fuel management device on the market. If that is indeed the case, why would a tuner not want to take advantage of an opportunity to increase his or her business? I, for one, if I wanted to get my bike dyne-tuned, would not purchase another tuning device. I would live with what I have and be cluelessly happy!

Here are some of the highlights of Fuelpak PRO:

• PC based map editing for point and click access to all critical ECU tables
  • 18mm wideband O2 sensor kit for optimal tuning capability & precision
  • Make your custom maps available on our online marketplace to FP3 users worldwide
  • Dyno tuning for any combination of performance parts and engine upgrades
  • Cloud server network to create, upload, download and edit your own map library

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 06:50 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Mike I have built engines on my bikes but chose not to on my last one I let J&B Performance do it. I also wouldn't have got so bent out of shape if Mr no it all hadn't called my post the dumbest post he e ER seen. As far as a stage 1 goes, I'll still spend the money to get it dynoed because apparently I like getting my bike tuned properly . So if anyone wants to run the FP3 then by all means do so but regardless of what your being told in the end it's your money, your bike so tune it the way you want. I just choose to use the PV and have J&B tune it.
J&B puts out some great builds. I’ve been impressed with their tunes as well that they post on FB.

I’ve been building all kinds of engines since I was in my teens. The Stage 1 on my TC 103 with a VH ProPipe and FP3 is most likely so close to being right on the money, I’d spend the money on engine upgrades before a dyno tune. I remember jetting the multiple carbs setups on 4 cylinder Hondas and even the Stage 1 on my first Harley. You knew it was good, but never perfect. When building an MG 4 cylinder engine with dual carbs, I had a device called a ColorTune. It replaced a spark plug and had a glass band so you could actually see the color of the combustion (1990’s). You adjusted one carb for two cylinders and got the best balance between the two. Tuning has come a long way.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:57 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigMike
J&B puts out some great builds. I’ve been impressed with their tunes as well that they post on FB.

I’ve been building all kinds of engines since I was in my teens. The Stage 1 on my TC 103 with a VH ProPipe and FP3 is most likely so close to being right on the money, I’d spend the money on engine upgrades before a dyno tune. I remember jetting the multiple carbs setups on 4 cylinder Hondas and even the Stage 1 on my first Harley. You knew it was good, but never perfect. When building an MG 4 cylinder engine with dual carbs, I had a device called a ColorTune. It replaced a spark plug and had a glass band so you could actually see the color of the combustion (1990’s). You adjusted one carb for two cylinders and got the best balance between the two. Tuning has come a long way.
You got that right on the tuning but at a cost no doubt. J&B are top notch in my book and I'll be doing a stage 2 with them shortly. Go to there FB page and look at the 124 they just did with the S&S Cams, the Tq. was crazy on that bike. The exhaust hurt the hp. but he said they had to baby it on the dyno to keep from slipping the clutch.
Anyway, I really hate this crazy thread sorta got out of hand. I guess I look at things a bit different than most so I suggest things that are a bit more money but to me a better outcome.
You know what they say about opinions though .

Last edited by Tn.Heritage; 03-14-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:48 AM
SNDSLGR
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
..Listen man, this is not the dumbest i've read, yours is because your talking out of your azz and not using the brain that the Good Lord gave you, or maybe he didn't. I can show you dyno sheet after dyno sheet where you get more power from a Power Vision, TTS tuners than the cheaper FP3. If you want to see it for yourself go to FB page of J&B Performance and see where they have based lined the bikes with the V&H's tuners and then tuned with a PV or TTS.
Then after you see the proof ask a component tuner which he'd rather use. Will a FP3 tune a bike, sure it will but it just doesn't have the parameters inside the device to change some things as does the PV or the TTS tuner.
Also if you want to ride the bike sorta close to the tune it needs then by all means use the FP3, it's a cheaper way to tune.

GalvTexGuy say's : the dyno tuners would benefit from getting use to tuning them. Well there's a reason for that and again it goes back to the parameters inside the product. If I was dynoing bikes for a living and you brought me an FP3 and I said that I can't get the HP and TQ from this tuner and you said that's fine and I agreed to tune your bike, then say down the rd. you decided to have it tuned somewhere else and they used a PV and got 8 to 10 more ponies and Tq. and that person decided to tell his buddies that the tuner that tuned it the 1st time didn't know what he was doing, then he's just hurt his business.
So I knew your bike was tuned with one and again that's cool if that's what you want but there's a good reason why the tuners don't like the FP3.

SNDSLGR : I do not get on here and make suggestions to someone if I don't have proof. My tuners will not even use the FP3 for the reason I described.
I will agree with you on one thing though, ever one doesn't want to spend that money on a dyno tune, I understand that perfectly, I do. Money's tight and after we pay 30,000 for a bike it's hard to pony up more cash, it's very rough on myself as well but I'm one of those guys that wants the most my engine will give me with whatever combo I'm running at that particular time. I only made my suggestion for best possible outcome for that person.

So do your homework before you say that a post is dumb because in the end it only makes you look not so smart.
Not trying to argue the validity of your claim, thought i was clear.. No doubt a PV and a grand of dyno time would out run a fp3. Point was thats not for everyone, dont know the OP but just reading his post i can tell you he doesnt want to pay for that level of tune/build. Not for me either, fp3 is a great tool for people not looking to build like that. If i wanted a fast bike Id buy one, not why i bought a HD... if you did/do no hate here. you bike your money.... enjoy it your way.

The 'dumbest post' was referring to the ignored facts in the OPs post and this site is full of advice because someone bought product x, product x is the best/only way to fly. Ride safe.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SNDSLGR
Not trying to argue the validity of your claim, thought i was clear.. No doubt a PV and a grand of dyno time would out run a fp3. Point was thats not for everyone, dont know the OP but just reading his post i can tell you he doesnt want to pay for that level of tune/build. Not for me either, fp3 is a great tool for people not looking to build like that. If i wanted a fast bike Id buy one, not why i bought a HD... if you did/do no hate here. you bike your money.... enjoy it your way.

The 'dumbest post' was referring to the ignored facts in the OPs post and this site is full of advice because someone bought product x, product x is the best/only way to fly. Ride safe.
Did you read my #21 post, again I'm not pushing my believes I was just offering good info. If the FP3 is what he want's then great, I really hope he is happy, I really do but making a suggestion to someone really isn't dumb if your offering good advice in my book. Actually if you read these forums, there's lot's of advice giving that has veered a bit from the question, dumb because of that, I don't think so as long as it's good advice.

To me it's like going to a Hardware store and asking if you have a particular hacksaw blades, the guy say I do but for a $1.50 more I have these that will at last those 10 to 1.
Now is he dumb for doing that, I don't think so, he's actually offered a better product but at a higher cost I'll agree but he can let the customer make up there mind.

This will be my last on the subject but I hope the OP get's his bike the way he wants it regardless of how it's tuned and he his happy.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:44 PM
dfa
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have a 2014 Ultra Classic, and the extended warranty just expired. So now I am thinking of decating the exhaust. Is there anyone that knows where I can find a replacement catalytic converter to put in its place? I currently have the V&H Titan 450 OS Slip ons with the FP3. The bike runs great and has a really deep ton, but the heat from the catalytic converter is hot. Summertime is just around the corner here in South Florida and I would like to get this catalytic converter removed.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2019, 09:01 PM
u wish u could ride
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

American custom has what your looking for they are riders and have decatted stock pipes with a piece welded inside so no cross talk