Sponsored by:

Boom 6.5 "Error Importing Destination"

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Boom 6.5 "Error Importing Destination"

When I "Save" an location, that I have entered manually on the touch screen, using either a valid street address or known GPS coordinates I am getting an error message that says "Error Importing Destination!". Along with this message there is an "OK" button that is highlighted. However the "OK" button will not work ie: It doesn't dismiss the screen. The only way to dismiss the screen is to select one of the hard buttons, such as the "Home" button (Top Left of Boom Box).

Harley's FAQ Troubleshooting guide says; "Device may not contain correct file format." Great! But that doesn't help at all. The "file format" (whatever it is) is being generated internally by the Boom Box system. It is hard to see how a file generated by the Boom Box system itself could be the wrong file format for the Boom Box. Not to mention that the user has absolutely have no control over this what-so-ever.

Otherwise everything works including (as near as I can tell) all of the other Nav functions.

Has anyone else run into this? Any solutions/fixes?

The following users liked this post:
DAKatona2006 (01-09-2020)
Old 04-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

What name are you giving the destination you are trying to save? Punctuation & special characters will give errors.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:13 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hammz
What name are you giving the destination you are trying to save? Punctuation & special characters will give errors.
No punctuation or special characters. Text only. Also tried as only text without any spaces. No luck. Good thought though.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:19 PM
grmaximus
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just encountered the same problem Bluehighways...

Tried to save 2 different addresses with simple names (nothing special/fancy) to the address book and getting this error.

This is more than ridiculous HD,

For the amount of $$$ paid for these machines, a modest expectation is these systems should WORK...

Ell Cee (07-23-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 01:25 PM
HogEye68
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you checked for a firmware update for your Boom System?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...-download.html

Old 04-06-2019, 05:49 PM
grmaximus
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my case I have updated the Boom software to the latest issue released this January, the version ending in .2

Old 04-06-2019, 06:51 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Might I suggest this - at the next HOG meeting or bike trip (or friend visit), take one of their uploaded destinations and try to upload it to your bike. Since you will know the upload works well on his bike, it this uploads to yours, it may mean you are doing something wrong with the file on your flash drive.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the suggestions. With respect to a few of your recommendations:
  • The latest software update has been installed since late January. Ver. 1.22.0.2. Now, that said, I'm considering going back to Ver. 1.22.0.1 to see if that fixes things. I've saved every image since Ver. 1.18.3. So I have a few I can choose from when saving locations using the GUI was functional.
  • The problem isn't loading locations from a flash drive. This is a problem when trying to create a location using only the Boom Box's GUI. Although, out of curiosity if nothing else I suppose I might try loading some locations, by importing a route from a flash drive and then see if I can save a location from that route. Not sure that can actually be done, but if it can, it'd certainly be a work-around.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Not sure when you are trying the save that fails, but the manual says it needs to be saved AFTER the route is computed but BEFORE starting route navigation, so it seems there's a timing issue involved in addition to the naming constraints. I didn't mention this earlier because I assumed you were aware of that. Most times I've had a saving issue has been due to my forgetting the naming constraints.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Fixed! Like a cat!

Installed Image Update Ver. 1.22.0.1. Yeah, this is the one that preceded the current one (Ver. 1.22.0.2). It would appear that the current Image Update Ver. 1.22.0.2 has a corrupt GPS Engine.

Just to be sure, I went as far as to reload 1.22.0.2 . . . . I did this twice! I did it once from my existing files, thinking that maybe the installation of this image (back in January) was somehow corrupt. Then ('cause that didn't change a thing) I did it a second time after I downloaded a "fresh" Image Update from the Harley Web Site (see below for the link) just to be sure that my existing file wasn't somehow corrupt. No joy with either copy of the current Image Update. (Ver. 1.22.0.2)

Then I Installed Image Update Ver. 1.22.0.1 Insto-Presto! All now works perfectly. No more problems . . . . at least with this GPS function.

Maybe with Ver. 1.22.0.3 (assuming that Harley will eventually release a Ver. 1.22.0.3) this issue will be fixed. But in the mean time . . . . forewarned is forearmed I suppose!

Hopefully this thread will help someone/anyone else having this issue!
https://www.harley-davidson.com/gb/e...avigation.html

dwagar (05-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Boom 6.5 "Error Importing Destination"