Sponsored by:

iPhone voice over Infotainment Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Default iPhone voice over Infotainment Bluetooth

I have an iPhone 6 and often use Google Maps for directions. Is there a way to her the Google Maps voice on my Infotainment via the Bluetooth? If there is a way, seems I can't figure it out.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I have a 2015 ultra and use my IPhone 7plus Bluetooth and I listen to music and had maps programmed to an adress and the phone would automatically lower the music volume and she would give me the directions.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:08 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Check Google Maps settings (in order to do this, you must be actively using it for directions, so just start navigation for anywhere). Where it shows duration and ETA at bottom of screen, tap that and it will pop up a menu, tap on 'Settings'.

Within settings, make sure "Play voice over Bluetooth" is ON (blue, slid to the right).

NEXT: IMPORTANT: Google Maps is not recognized by the iPhone as an "audio source", so what I mean by that is, if you do not have music/video/etc. playing some sort of audio, Google Maps sounds will not be sent through Bluetooth. In order to resolve this, you must make sure that "Play as Bluetooth phone call" is ON (blue, slid to the right). This will allow Google Maps to send the audio through Bluetooth via "phone". It will show up as a phone call on your radio, but truly it is just audio being streamed through that particular Bluetooth channel.

Also, make sure you have Google Maps set to 'Unmuted' - on that same settings screen, or when looking at the map during navigation, the middle button on the right side of screen.

The "Play as Bluetooth phone call" does not always work. I've noticed sometimes what happens is once you start getting too many directions within a short time, the radio will stop "picking up" the call and you'll be back to square one. YMMV

The "issue" with Google Maps sounds not being sent through Bluetooth as described above is not a Boom! limitation - this is a limitation with the iPhone software and/or Google Maps.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 04-17-2019 at 12:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PopsHD (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lunchboxx
I have a 2015 ultra and use my IPhone 7plus Bluetooth and I listen to music and had maps programmed to an adress and the phone would automatically lower the music volume and she would give me the directions.
I can get music from my iPhone to play over the Infotainment. When you say "had maps programmed" do you mean getting directions from you Infotainment Nav? I want to use Google Maps on my iPhone and hear the voice directions over my Infotainment.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:19 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by PopsHD
I can get music from my iPhone to play over the Infotainment. When you say "had maps programmed" do you mean getting directions from you Infotainment Nav? I want to use Google Maps on my iPhone and hear the voice directions over my Infotainment.
We posted at about the same time. See my comment right above yours.

PopsHD (04-17-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Did you have a chance to test my suggestions above? I also forgot to mention that 'Play as Bluetooth phone call' allows to listen to other media (e.g. radio, or anything else not on your phone) and the navigation will come in as a phone call and mute the radio - which is awesome. Also, this option is only available on iPhone.

dcfatboy (04-18-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:45 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Did you have a chance to test my suggestions above? I also forgot to mention that 'Play as Bluetooth phone call' allows to listen to other media (e.g. radio, or anything else not on your phone) and the navigation will come in as a phone call and mute the radio - which is awesome. Also, this option is only available on iPhone.
Sorry for my delay in replying. Yes, I tried your suggestion and it works perfectly! Thanks so much for the info! This will work on the bike and in the cage.

BrandonSmith (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:57 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PopsHD
I put an address in maps on my phone and it works. Get directions over Bluetooth

Old 04-21-2019, 06:41 AM
dcfatboy
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Brandon, is there a setting that gets rid of the Infotainment Phone display after the Navigation audio finishes, or is the only option to use the Infotainment buttons, etc.?

BTW, great tip!

Last edited by dcfatboy; 04-21-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by dcfatboy
Brandon, is there a setting that gets rid of the Infotainment Phone display after the Navigation audio finishes, or is the only option to use the Infotainment buttons, etc.?

BTW, great tip!
If you’re saying the phone call remains on the screen, I’m not sure I’ve experienced what you’re saying. Mine works like this: listening to radio, radio station is displayed, Navi does its thing with the phone call, which shows up on the screen, then it goes back to the radio display.

Quick Reply: iPhone voice over Infotainment Bluetooth