Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve / Top End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:48 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Only place around here that has Spectro is the shops that sell metrics.

The following users liked this post:
rusty289 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:47 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,168 Posts

I find it interesting that one particular oil of a specific heavier weight would be the recommended solution for the OP's top end noise. So, heavier is better, regardless of where you live and in what temperatures you ride?

Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Player
Only place around here that has Spectro is the shops that sell metrics.
Most HD dealers carry Spectro, at least the ones in So Cal do. There are several online dealers. I buy it by the case, which saves a few bucks.

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I find it interesting that one particular oil of a specific heavier weight would be the recommended solution for the OP's top end noise. So, heavier is better, regardless of where you live and in what temperatures you ride?
I have no idea; however, I do know it seems to work fine from 37-115 degrees where I live.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I have no idea; however, I do know it seems to work fine from 37-115 degrees where I live.
As long as it "seems" to work fine, I guess that's good enough. FWIW, I'm running a stage 2 for 30K miles now and my top end doesn't make any unusual noises using either Syn3 or Mobil 1 V-Twin.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

As long as it "seems" to work fine, I guess that's good enough. FWIW, I'm running a stage 2 for 30K miles now and my top end doesn't make any unusual noises using either Syn3 or Mobil 1 V-Twin.
Give it try, you might like it. My motor didn't make any unusual noise with Mobil 1 either. However, the valve train noise is significantly reduced with the Spectro dino. Rockout Rocker introduced me to Spectro, and my claim is he knows quite a bit more about top end noise than me, YMMV.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I agree that Spectro does quiet things down quite a bit but I have been wondering about the roller rockers or after market rocker are support with better tolerances would have any effect on it as well.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Ask the people who made the cams if they have lead ramps before the lift. Factory cams have this. High performance may not. Cams have the base circle which the lifter runs on and in theory, is the center of the lifter total travel with the valve shut. Lifters bleed off at a calibrated bleed. So as the valve is opened, and runs up the ramp, there is some bleed since it is pushing against the valve spring. Just left the setting, valve spring will bleed a lifter. If it did not work that way, the lifter could hold valve off the seat.

What you may be hearing is that little bleed off and clearance when cam hits lifter to open. (stock has a very slight ramp before the mountain.)
Since you wanted high-performance cams, they come with a cost. Most just accept the cost.
Doubt its the oil. Open exhaust will also sound like valve peck. You can hear and real valve peck. A mechanic stethoscope will rule out the sound of the valves opening and closing in the pipes.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-24-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Give it try, you might like it. My motor didn't make any unusual noise with Mobil 1 either. However, the valve train noise is significantly reduced with the Spectro dino. Rockout Rocker introduced me to Spectro, and my claim is he knows quite a bit more about top end noise than me, YMMV.
I guess what I was trying to imply was that running a heavier oil is just masking the underlying mechanical issues. It seems todd-67 and RIPSAW have eloquently spoken to this in their recent posts. All due respect to Mr. ROCKOUT Rocker Products, but I found it surprising that he would think changing oil is going to solve the OP's top end noise issue, especially after installing his product. In my opinion, it ain't the oil.

The following 2 users liked this post by GalvTexGuy:
Bafflingbs (04-25-2019), rusty289 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 01:17 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I guess what I was trying to imply was that running a heavier oil is just masking the underlying mechanical issues. It seems todd-67 and RIPSAW have eloquently spoken to this in their recent posts. All due respect to Mr. ROCKOUT Rocker Products, but I found it surprising that he would think changing oil is going to solve the OP's top end noise issue, especially after installing his product. In my opinion, it ain't the oil.

Unless he misspoke, he's not using my product

Here's the thing with oil...

It's not just that it's thicker. As a rule, in practically every case dino oil will make an engine run quieter than syn. Dino oil seems to have a cushioning effect, I'll leave it up to the scientists to explain why. Of all the oils I've tested Spectro seems to be the best when it comes to noise. Others (including outside of this thread) repeat the same findings.

I don't sell Spectro or have anything to do with the company, I just recommend what I find works

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following 5 users liked this post by ROCKOUT Rocker Products:
1 2 many (05-02-2019), gigihurt (05-01-2019), Greezey Rider (05-09-2019), H-D_Doug (05-01-2019), rusty289 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 01:22 PM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Ask the people who made the cams if they have leed ramps before the lift. Factory cams have this. High performance may not. Cams have the base circle which the lifter runs on and in theory, is the center of the lifter total travel with the valve shut. Lifters bleed off at a calibrated bleed. So as the valve is opened, and runs up the ramp, there is some bleed since it is pushing against the valve spring. Just left the setting, valve spring will bleed a lifter. If it did not work that way, the lifter could hold valve off the seat.

What you may be hearing is that little bleed off and clearance when cam hits lifter to open. (stock has a very slight ramp before the mountain.)
Since you wanted high-performance cams, they come with a cost. Most just accept the cost.
Doubt its the oil. Open exhaust will also sound like valve peck. You can hear and real valve peck. A mechanic stethoscope will rule out the sound of the valves opening and closing in the pipes.
I truly think this is a bit more than that, I've been chasing this for a while now and it seems to me if I can get my brain to remember that I was starting to get the noise before I did the cam swap but after I switched to Amsoil.

I have been looking at oil spec today and the viscosity of the synthetics when compared to dino are unbelievably different! They give viscosities at 212 ºF or 100 ºC and for example Amsoil shows a viscosity of 18.5 at that temperature while the Spectro stuff being talked about has a viscosity of 93 at the same temperature! The synthetics are like water when hot! That has to have some bearing on noise wouldn't you think?

I get the argument that synthetics are engineered and designed and all that but these numbers prove my theory, and if the HD 360 dino oil is anywhere near what Spectro is I'm sure I'll see some similar numbers though I haven't been able to find any specs on it anywhere go figure with Harley.

Quick Reply: Valve / Top End Noise