Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 03:00 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Unless he misspoke, he's not using my product

Here's the thing with oil...

It's not just that it's thicker. As a rule, in practically every case dino oil will make an engine run quieter than syn. Dino oil seems to have a cushioning effect, I'll leave it up to the scientists to explain why. Of all the oils I've tested Spectro seems to be the best when it comes to noise. Others (including outside of this thread) repeat the same findings.

I don't sell Spectro or have anything to do with the company, I just recommend what I find works

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
Well, it had "rock" in the name. Sorry about that, but y'all were partners once, weren't you?

Old 04-24-2019, 03:41 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

The slight ramp before the lift in a cam shaft is called the clearance ramp. Some searches imply it is for solid lifters and it is the amount of the static clearance.
Know with my experience which is limited to my 150 Jeep motor I overhauled. I measured everything very carefully. Noticed it on the cam shaft.

However, valves where carboned up, I replaced them and they were a little short. With no adjustment, three of them on get 1/2 turn into lifter before rocker arm torques. Sounded OK till it warm up and then taps. Only got worst. Going to lower rocker arm pedalstel block when I get around to it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-24-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I found the same thing with AMSOIL. I hated the noice it caused enough to drain it after the first ride with it in. Just didn’t sound right, and I went back to the regular HD Dino oil, and it quieted down immediately.

I would guess a thicker oil would do even better.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:18 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool Timing ..???

Originally Posted by rusty289
Has anyone had any success in eliminating top end/valve noise?

I've done the rocker lockers and still have the issue, it's annoying as hell!

2015 Road Glide, added cams a couple years ago but I'm convinced the noise came or became very noticeable when I switched to Amsoil.

I don't want this to turn into an oil thread but I'm considering switching back to dino oil, HD or otherwise.

I know the motor was quieter with the HD oil in it.

Thoughts?
just suggesting....are you sure you are not hearing a little ignition knock from too much timing ??? what tuner is being used ?? possible to retard the timing a couple degree's and retest ...??!!!
maybe a combination of timing and a oil change may help ..???!!!
we agree ...with the oil being use ... we never run any synthetic's, as we only run dino straight 60 here in the deep south ...
good luck ..

Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

I'm not sure this is good practice, or bad practice, but, when I start hearing more engine noise, I know it's about time to change the oil. I've never really changed it by mileage, but by feel and sound. I did try Amsoil once, and found it noisy from the get-go. I've always used Mobil 1, and never had a consistent noise issue. I've always been taught that Dino oil is good, until it reaches temperatures above 250F. And then the sheer rating goes way down. I also wonder if the reduced noise, while using Dino oil, is from the baked on sludge. DAMN IT! Did we just turn this into another oil thread?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:35 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 409 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
DAMN IT! Did we just turn this into another oil thread?

The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (04-28-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 06:46 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by springers4ever
just suggesting....are you sure you are not hearing a little ignition knock from too much timing ??? what tuner is being used ?? possible to retard the timing a couple degree's and retest ...??!!!
maybe a combination of timing and a oil change may help ..???!!!
we agree ...with the oil being use ... we never run any synthetic's, as we only run dino straight 60 here in the deep south ...
good luck ..
I'm using an FP3 tuner but I'm pretty confident it's not a timing issue. It's not a super aggressive cam so I don't see it being the issue.

I'm also pretty sure I picked up the noise before I touched the motor and right after the switch to Amsoil.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:48 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=Bafflingbs;18211256 DAMN IT! Did we just turn this into another oil thread? [/QUOTE]

Noooooo!!!!!

Bafflingbs (04-28-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 11:38 PM
jeffjackman
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
amen 1000 times to that. Makes all the difference in the world on mine
I, too, have a lot of top end noise. Been using 20W50 synthetic for the past 45K miles. I change all three holes every 5K miles with synthetic. Should I adjust the interval when I try the Spectro 25w60? Or stay at the 5K mile mark?

Old 04-27-2019, 08:36 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjackman
I, too, have a lot of top end noise. Been using 20W50 synthetic for the past 45K miles. I change all three holes every 5K miles with synthetic. Should I adjust the interval when I try the Spectro 25w60? Or stay at the 5K mile mark?
For the last three changes, I did it at 3,000 miles. However, the oil looked very good as far as color, so I am going 5,000 this time. HD runs dino oil for 5,000 on their bikes, so WTH.

1 2 many (05-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Valve / Top End Noise