Sponsored by:

Valve / Top End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:35 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
But did you read the last comment and replies below the video?
Yeah, no, I didn't. I was just asking and relaying information posted in the video. No harm, no foul.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Well I finally have an update on this situation.

Did the oil change and put conventional oil back in, noise does seem a bit better but it's definitely still there.

Guess I have to get used to it. Ugh!

I also think the bike is running hotter than before, maybe it's just in my head but I was in Laconia last week and it seems as though the EITMS was kicking in more than it typically would. It was warm down there compared to home but it was cooler than previous years for sure.

Either way the bike still worked great so no issues otherwise.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by rusty289
Well I finally have an update on this situation.

Did the oil change and put conventional oil back in, noise does seem a bit better but it's definitely still there.

Guess I have to get used to it. Ugh!

I also think the bike is running hotter than before, maybe it's just in my head but I was in Laconia last week and it seems as though the EITMS was kicking in more than it typically would. It was warm down there compared to home but it was cooler than previous years for sure.

Either way the bike still worked great so no issues otherwise.
Are you sure it's not just an exhaust leak at the head? Not trying to be funny, but that would sound like tapping too. I've changed my cams, lifters, pushrods and bearings. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin, and my bike is less noisy than when it was stock. Of course dino-oil is going to be quieter, it burns easier, thus creating a sludge-like coating. No-one is going to prove that Dino-oil is better than a good synthetic. Especially during the summer months, where engine temps are close to, or more then 300 degrees. Dino-oil just can't hold up to that temperature. You're correct at observing higher running temps. now, with the dino-oil. There's more friction now, and sheer ratings are nowhere near a good class 4 or higher synthetic. Fossil oils break down, at 240 degrees. Once they break down, that oil is trash. That oil will cause oxidation, which in turn forms deposits, varnish and increases wear. Full synthetic oils don't start breaking down, until after 400 degrees. Just my 2 cents, and I'm sticking to it. It's your bike, but, I'd rather a little noise then a fried engine.

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 06-17-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:48 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
Are you sure it's not just an exhaust leak at the head? Not trying to be funny, but that would sound like tapping too. I've changed my cams, lifters, pushrods and bearings. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin, and my bike is less noisy than when it was stock. Of course dino-oil is going to be quieter, it burns easier, thus creating a sludge-like coating. No-one is going to prove that Dino-oil is better than a good synthetic. Especially during the summer months, where engine temps are close to, or more then 300 degrees. Dino-oil just can't hold up to that temperature. You're correct at observing higher running temps. now, with the dino-oil. There's more friction now, and sheer ratings are nowhere near a good class 4 or higher synthetic. Fossil oils break down, at 240 degrees. Once they break down, that oil is trash. That oil will cause oxidation, which in turn forms deposits, varnish and increases wear. Full synthetic oils don't start breaking down, until after 400 degrees. Just my 2 cents, and I'm sticking to it. It's your bike, but, I'd rather a little noise then a fried engine.

I have to agree, the dino oil had no affect. I knew better.... I am going back to syn oil because th above statement is true.....Remember the old Mobil 1 commercials....lol some truth in advertising.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
I have to agree, the dino oil had no affect. I knew better.... I am going back to syn oil because th above statement is true.....Remember the old Mobil 1 commercials....lol some truth in advertising.
Good commercial

Old 06-24-2019, 07:40 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
Agree with you 100%

I'll make the switch back again. Let's say it was an experiment! Lol

And yeah I'm quite sure it's not an exhaust leak, I will check again to be certain though.

Thanks