Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Valve / Top End Noise (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1280876-valve-top-end-noise.html)

rusty289 04-23-2019 01:43 PM

Valve / Top End Noise

Has anyone had any success in eliminating top end/valve noise?

I've done the rocker lockers and still have the issue, it's annoying as hell!

2015 Road Glide, added cams a couple years ago but I'm convinced the noise came or became very noticeable when I switched to Amsoil.

I don't want this to turn into an oil thread but I'm considering switching back to dino oil, HD or otherwise.

I know the motor was quieter with the HD oil in it.

Thoughts?

hbsoldier3 04-23-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by rusty289 (Post 18205061)

2015 Road Glide, added cams a couple years ago but I'm convinced the noise came or became very noticeable when I switched to Amsoil.

I don't want this to turn into an oil thread but I'm considering switching back to dino oil, HD or otherwise.

Thoughts?

I switched back to dino oil, Spectro 25W60 and it quieted down the noise considerably.

Bafflingbs 04-23-2019 01:59 PM

Have you tried to go to an adjustable push rod? That might help to clean up the slop. Next thing to try, might be new springs or roller rockers. I'm not a mechanic nor have I ever been inside my engine, but, I think I know how they work. If those ideas don't work, I wonder if you have an oil flow issue. What is your oil pressure? :icon_beerchug:

ROCKOUT Rocker Products 04-23-2019 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3 (Post 18205088)
I switched back to dino oil, Spectro 25W60 and it quieted down the noise considerably.

Best advice you will get here :icon_beerchug:

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

hbsoldier3 04-23-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products (Post 18205144)
Best advice you will get here :icon_beerchug:

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

I was gonna mention your user name as my source for my post, but could not remember it completely, thanx.

GalvTexGuy 04-23-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by rusty289 (Post 18205061)

Thoughts?

Too late.

Tired 04-23-2019 04:39 PM

Klotz 25W60 Syn works pretty well also.

tesnevo 04-23-2019 06:40 PM

amen 1000 times to that. Makes all the difference in the world on mine

pswomack 04-23-2019 07:16 PM

Exactly what I use in mine, 110SE bolt on kit, Woods TW777 Cams, Fuel Moto adjustable push rods, Rocker Lockers, Heads ported and polished by Big Boyz Porting, When I ran Amsoil it had really bad valve train noise, same with HD Syn3 and also Mobil 1 Full synthetic, but with the Spectro 25W60 there is very little noise now, That's what I would suggest!

rusty289 04-24-2019 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs (Post 18205091)
Have you tried to go to an adjustable push rod? That might help to clean up the slop. Next thing to try, might be new springs or roller rockers. I'm not a mechanic nor have I ever been inside my engine, but, I think I know how they work. If those ideas don't work, I wonder if you have an oil flow issue. What is your oil pressure? :icon_beerchug:

Adjustable push rods went in with the cams, along with new lifters. Even checked the push rod adjustment after install then again after the Rocker Locker install.

As for roller rockers and or new springs, bike only has 15k miles on it.

I think an oil switch is in the cards. Don't think I've ever heard of or seen Spectro Oil around my area.