Sponsored by:

2015 Road King Police FLHP Aux Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Road King Police FLHP Aux Light Help

Ok gang - I have tried to search for a solution to my problem to no avail. Lots of good information, just not pertaining to my situation.

Background - I have been working on a 2015 retired Road King police bike that had a tour with the Lakeland FL police department. It had some of the civilization done to it and I'm trying to complete it. Most of my electrical issues where resolved by replacing the police hand controls with new lighted civilian controls.

Issue - The Aux lights are not working. They did work in pursuit mode prior to changing the hand controls so I know some connections are there and the bulbs work. There is NO connection to the wiring at all from the right side nacelle toggle switch. It is just a switch with a white two pronged connection going to nothing. I can not decipher from wiring diagram, service manual or parts books what should be there and how it should connect into the wiring.

Ask - Is there anyone that can help provide some guidance on how a "normal" road Kings nacelle switch is wired into the nacelle or if anyone has done this with a Rushmore or higher police Road King? Here in Maine - the aux lights need to work to get a sticker and have to turn off when using high beam, so I really need to get them to civilian normal operation. The original complex wiring harness is still on the bike and I have no desire to replace that. There must be a way to get this right.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tin

Old 06-12-2019, 09:27 AM
davidwneill
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2015 Road King Police FLHP Aux Light Help

Originally Posted by tincup64
Ok gang - I have tried to search for a solution to my problem to no avail. Lots of good information, just not pertaining to my situation.

Background - I have been working on a 2015 retired Road King police bike that had a tour with the Lakeland FL police department. It had some of the civilization done to it and I'm trying to complete it. Most of my electrical issues where resolved by replacing the police hand controls with new lighted civilian controls.

Issue - The Aux lights are not working. They did work in pursuit mode prior to changing the hand controls so I know some connections are there and the bulbs work. There is NO connection to the wiring at all from the right side nacelle toggle switch. It is just a switch with a white two pronged connection going to nothing. I can not decipher from wiring diagram, service manual or parts books what should be there and how it should connect into the wiring.

Ask - Is there anyone that can help provide some guidance on how a "normal" road Kings nacelle switch is wired into the nacelle or if anyone has done this with a Rushmore or higher police Road King? Here in Maine - the aux lights need to work to get a sticker and have to turn off when using high beam, so I really need to get them to civilian normal operation. The original complex wiring harness is still on the bike and I have no desire to replace that. There must be a way to get this right.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tin
Not a lot of help, but the nacelle switch on my 2007 FLHPI is for "stealth" mode... disables every light except instruments
and brake light. That option is supposed to be disabled when the bike is "civilianized". Sounds like yours was, since
all the wires were disconnected. I would have thought that aux lights would be a CANBUS/ECM controlled function now,
as it seems to be that way on my 2015 FLHTP (bought it new, was never in service as a police bike). It still has the
police controls, but the AUX lights work fine (although they do NOT turn off when toggling the headlight hi-beam switch).

I have no experience with a rushmore road king. But it may be an ECM issue.. you might try conversing with a Harley
certified technician.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by davidwneill
Not a lot of help, but the nacelle switch on my 2007 FLHPI is for "stealth" mode... disables every light except instruments
and brake light. That option is supposed to be disabled when the bike is "civilianized". Sounds like yours was, since
all the wires were disconnected. I would have thought that aux lights would be a CANBUS/ECM controlled function now,
as it seems to be that way on my 2015 FLHTP (bought it new, was never in service as a police bike). It still has the
police controls, but the AUX lights work fine (although they do NOT turn off when toggling the headlight hi-beam switch).

I have no experience with a rushmore road king. But it may be an ECM issue.. you might try conversing with a Harley
certified technician.
I hope you are right. I have talked with local Harley tech and he is looking at it in 2 weeks. I am hoping I may be able to discover the fix before it goes there. You may be right about ECM or even BCM.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

A little bump to get this to the top in case second shift has any suggestions.

Thx - Tin

Old 06-13-2019, 12:02 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

I'm going to guess here, but the BCM supplies the power for the Aux Lights or Front Running / Fog Lights on BCM position L4. When you changed the Right Hand Control Module to the civilian lighted switch, the switch no longer sends the correct signals to the BCM, Possibly there is a change that the dealer can make with their HD computer that will enable the lights.

The following users liked this post:
Ryan David (07-12-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior

I sure hope so 14GuineaPig. Thanks for chiming in. I wish it was a little more obvious and I could do it myself.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:44 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

i have a 15 flhp....I just removed my light bar.....give me till tomorrow and I'll see if i can get a picture of how it was wired.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:38 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master

My spot lights were wired into one of the accessory switches behind the headlight nacelle. I want to say my older road king was wired to the right one but this bike has it wired to the left one.

From each spotlight, there is a gray and black wire. They are spliced together and wired to the accessory switch.

The other side of the switch is spliced into the High/Low beam harness. Find the Blue and Yellow wire (I think it's the low beam side) and Splice it over to the accessory switch.

This should give you spotlights when the accessory switch is on and the handlebar switch is in the low beam setting. At least it did on my set up.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:45 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master

If the above doesn't work, Remove the lights and put on a set of blinkers like this HD part number 69577-06A:

Old 06-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master

one more thing to add. On the 14' and above police bikes, stealth mode is set by pressing the Hi/Low beam switch down. It comes out of stealth mode by pressing it again. (it's passing mode for regular bikes). There is a way to disable this when putting the bike into civilian mode but I'm not sure how that's done. I'd have to dig out the manuals to figure it out.

Edit to say=I'm in southeastern Mass myself.....if you need to use my headlamp set up to trouble shoot, You can borrow it.

Last edited by Toe Knee; 06-15-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Road King Police FLHP Aux Light Help