Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   PTT switch delete (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1288337-ptt-switch-delete.html)

3dognate 06-14-2019 08:50 PM

PTT switch delete

I've got a bad switch pack on my '17 RGS left controls, I'm switching the switch packs out for lighted ones. I have zero interest in the Push to Talk (PTT) switch. Anyone know if I can can just remove the switch from the PCB and use my existing plug? or is it not worth it to ditch a useless control?

batman. 06-14-2019 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 3dognate (Post 18330593)
I've got a bad switch pack on my '17 RGS left controls, I'm switching the switch packs out for lighted ones. I have zero interest in the Push to Talk (PTT) switch. Anyone know if I can can just remove the switch from the PCB and use my existing plug? or is it not worth it to ditch a useless control?

my 14 has the ptt button removed dealer said it was why my FM sucked so they took it out. FM still sucked so I got cm. button is still gone.

Batman

Bluehighways 06-15-2019 01:26 AM

It's a CAN Bus System on your bike.

If the computers on the CAN System (and there are a few) expect to see a switch that isn't there, they will probably not like it and you will not like it that they don't like it.

Much simpler and easier to leave it as is and just not use the switch.

Hammz 06-16-2019 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by batman. (Post 18330643)
my 14 has the ptt button removed dealer said it was why my FM sucked so they took it out. FM still sucked so I got cm. button is still gone.

Batman

More likely the swapped for right side switchpack with someone that was adding a CB & they needed the PTT for that bike. PTT has absolutely nothing to do with FM reception.

Tjroadie 06-22-2019 06:27 PM

What's up with the left switch pac? Dealer wanted to replace mine, it wouldn't start in gear and would idle inconsistently. But the cruise worked! The neutral safety switch behind the clutch was sticking. Took it off and work some graphite in it's been fine for months now. Saved $250 for a little maintenance.

24v 06-23-2019 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 3dognate (Post 18330593)

I would think you could unplug the old switch pack and plug in the new one. As long as the issue is actually in the switches and not the pcb. The wiring is no different from there to the ecu. 2 wires for the can system and 2 wires for power/ground.

3dognate 06-23-2019 10:55 PM

I actually ended up not having a bad switch pack but instead had a buggy flash to my ECM. After flashing back to my original map and back to my custom tune, my stuff started working again and I was able to cancel my order for the lighted controls.