Sponsored by:

Shifter Shaft Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 10:21 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Default Shifter Shaft Leak

It looks like I have oil seeping out of the gear shifter shaft seal on my '14 Limited with 46K on the clock. I don't feel any slop when I try to wiggle the shifter lever, but I'm seeing signs of dirty oil in that area and under the bike. I've read that this is a more common problem than it should be, so it looks like I've got another maintenance project on my agenda. Have any of you guys with Rushmore bikes had to perform this repair? If so, any tips or advice you can offer? Any other things to check and/or replace while I've got the inner and outer primary exposed? Thanks.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 06-22-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 AM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
It looks like I have oil seeping out of the gear shifter shaft seal on my '14 Limited with 46K on the clock. I don't feel any slop when I try to wiggle the shifter lever, but I'm seeing signs of dirty oil in that area and under the bike. I've read that this is a more common problem than it should be, so it looks like I've got another maintenance project on my agenda. Have any of you guys with Rushmore bikes had to perform this repair? If so, any tips or advice you can offer? Any other things to check and/or replace while I've got the inner and outer primary exposed? Thanks.
Just did shifter seal on my 08 Ultra . Buy the cometics shifter seal which has double lip. While apart check inner primary bearing etc. i ended up with more work than I anticipated because i also found leak behind my belt drive gear sprocket and once i got it off it was the big seal behind it leaking. I took seal off to replace it just to find transmission main bearings were shot which caused that seal to leak due to too much shaft movement( i would check to see if yours has any up down side to side movement and if not bearings probably good). I had to take transmission completely apart to fix( ended up changing quad seal etc )Friday I finally put it all back together. All this started with me noticing a shifter seal leaking ( just my luck I guess) while you have inner primary off it would be perfect chance to look for any signs of leakage behind belt gear sprocket and if nothing then like i said check primary bearing and look at primary bearing race for any signs of wear. One more thing before you install shifter seal i would use a little bit of electrical tape to tape shifter shaft so not to damage seal as its being installed

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-23-2019 at 10:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SFinley70:
Dan89FLSTC (08-22-2019), GalvTexGuy (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks. Yours sounds like more work than I would want. How many miles on your bike?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:56 AM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks. Yours sounds like more work than I would want. How many miles on your bike?
I have 70k on mine now. I do around 15k a year riding. Yeah it was more work than I wanted also

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-23-2019 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 02:40 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I just had mine done on my 14 FLHTK. Noticed a drop of oil on the lift table, took it to the dealer the next day and got it fixed on my ESP, $50 bucks versus $458 bucks. Bike had 58,000 at time, hope it is not the color that makes them leak, lol.

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 06-23-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:07 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I just had mine done on my 14 FLHTK. Noticed a drop of oil on the lift table, took it to the dealer the next day and got it fixed on my ESP, $50 bucks versus $458 bucks. Bike had 58,000 at time, hope it is not the color that makes them leak, lol.
LOL - I think it was because I was bragging to my riding buddy after my recent trip that the bike ran flawlessly. I should have kept my big mouth shut!

hbsoldier3 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:30 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Man I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I thought that this shifter shaft seal leak had been fixed by now. I guess not. I had it on both my 2002 Glide and my 2007 Ultra. Maybe that is something that we will have to have done at some point on our bikes. Part of owning a Harley I guess.

GalvTexGuy (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,724 Likes on 2,394 Posts

I thought that this shifter shaft seal leak had been fixed by now.
If it is anything like a Sportster engine it would take weeks before a single drop of oil would form on the garage floor. Mine just has a dirty line down the case.

A quick 'tube tutorial and I had the seal changed in a few minutes.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:13 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GOV5
Man I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I thought that this shifter shaft seal leak had been fixed by now. I guess not. I had it on both my 2002 Glide and my 2007 Ultra. Maybe that is something that we will have to have done at some point on our bikes. Part of owning a Harley I guess.
The thing is I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't looked under the inner primary the other night after reading the thread where the OP had a hole in his. I laid on the garage floor with a flashlight and I noticed the dirty oily residue. I though maybe it was from the primary drain plug, but when I looked at the shift lever up top, that's when I saw it. It's probably a minor seepage, but I don't like the idea of having any kind of oil seepage. It sucks.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:46 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I have a 15 ultra Limited and have had it back at Harley Twice now. The first time they told me they replaced shifter shaft seal, main shaft seal and a gasket between tranny and motor along with all the primary gaskets. Still leaking oil so I took it back and was told now they have to replace the shifter shaft. all covered under ESP! Glad I bought that!

The following 2 users liked this post by Lunchboxx:
GalvTexGuy (07-02-2019), hbsoldier3 (07-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Shifter Shaft Leak