Sponsored by:

Boom Box issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 01:06 PM
rolling_again
Road Master
Received 427 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Boom Box issues

Just wondering if anyone else out there has had an issue with the boom box system while streaming bluetooth? I can be cruising along and it will suddenly switch to the weather band, sometimes twice within a mile or two then not do it the rest of the day. I have already had it up to the dealer and they did an update to it about a week ago and could not reproduce the issue, but the problem is back. I was thinking maybe its something with my phone? but this never happens when streaming to the sync system in my truck.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-25-2019, 01:46 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Funny you should mention that because it started happening to me just recently. I don't think it's a phone issue because the radio is switching to one of the weather bands (WB4) rather than the alerts coming from the phone. I haven't tried figuring out what causes it, so I'm hopeful someone has an answer.

The following users liked this post:
rcrankin (06-28-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 02:26 PM
rolling_again
Road Master

well at least I know I'm not the only one. I called dealer today and they said that they would call me back with a tech.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:18 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

If I recall, that is exactly what the system is designed to do. In the event of a weather alert, it overrides your current audio selection.

Remember watching TV, and you get an Emergency Broadcast Alert (Test) - yep, it overrides.

Imagine this, you are riding along have a great time - listening to music -and you ride right into a tornado - because your weather alert did not tell you.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:25 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

My 2016 Limited has done this several times, it was because there was Significant weather within a 50 mile radius from me, the radio is operating as it should, the Weatherband will overide Radio, USB stick, Sirius or any other device, that's how it was designed.

Bent and Broken (07-01-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 09:22 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

When in doubt, read the manual. According to this, it's an option that can be turned on or off. It must have turned on the last time I reset the radio.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:41 AM
rolling_again
Road Master

So my next question is, if the weather band station receives this alert and pops onto that channel how come it is nothing but static? Typically static would mean that a station is not receiving, yet an emergency weather alert makes it through. I will check out what my settings are in the alert area.

Thank you for the information

Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rolling_again
So my next question is, if the weather band station receives this alert and pops onto that channel how come it is nothing but static? Typically static would mean that a station is not receiving, yet an emergency weather alert makes it through. I will check out what my settings are in the alert area.

I can't answer that question. Each time the weather alert went active on my bike, it was on WB4 and it was transmitting. The document I posted came from the 2018 Boom! owner's manual. What gets me is it says, "The weather band alert feature is only available on radios built for North America with a CB module." Bikes no longer came with CB modules starting with the 2017 models and you're riding a 2018. I think these radios have a mind of their own.

rolling_again (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 07:58 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rolling_again

If it works like mine and IIRC there's 6 different channels, scroll through the channels, usually one or two come in nice and strong and the others are staticy. And if you turn off the Weather Band it won't interrupt the current broadcast, at least that's the way mine works. Have it off for years and never an emergency alert. I use XM weather, very accurate.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:22 AM
Ultra 99
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2019 with the CB module added has been doing that randomly and I thought there was something wrong with it. As others noted, the weather station it switches to has nothing but static. Good to now know why it's happening and how to turn that feature off as it's annoying to all of a sudden switch to static and then have to switch back to what I was listening to. Thinking there was a problem, I mentioned it to the tech at the dealer and he didn't know it's supposed to work like this either.

Good information to know, another problem solved.

Quick Reply: Boom Box issues