Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Road Glide vs Batwing for passenger

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:25 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Road Glide vs Batwing for passenger

I’ve read a lot of reviews regarding wind protection of the Bat Wing versus the Shark nose, and I’m looking at making the leap at the end of this year. Question is..which fairing offers more wind protection for the passenger? I literally ride two-up 99% of the time, so her comfort is my concern.

So..which is better for the passenger ??

Old 06-25-2019, 10:39 PM
sprint07
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I own a '14 Ultra Classic and a '15 RG CVO.

I ride 99% of the time with my wife on the back

My wife prefers the RG CVO.

My suggestion would be to rent a RG Ultra for a few days and make sure that the correct height windshield is on it for the few days. That windshield makes a huge difference for the rider and the passenger once fitter properly. We have Long Ride Shields and if you follow their recommendations on a windshield, I think you will get the answer you are looking for.

The following users liked this post:
lyork (06-25-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 12:53 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

The Shark Nose is probably better for the passenger. However I put a 15" Harley Windshield on my Ultra Limited and my wife is very much OK with it. She says it's as good as our Goldwing when it comes to the lack of buffeting and that bike pretty much places both of us in a very quiet pocket of air. On the downside, I'm 6'0" and I'm looking through the windshield. That said, I'm never more than loosening three Phillips Head Screws and 2 or 3 minutes, away from any one of the other Windshields that I have.

lyork (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 07:01 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I went from 3 Street Glides to a Road Glide now. I'm not really sure. I'm almost thinking the Street Glide did better. I had a 9" Windvest on my Road Glide until 2 weeks ago. I now added a 10" version to it. It almost seems like I get wind fluttering to the sides of my head and not much higher than my head. The 10" seemed to help the side wind for me. My wife says no difference. Hard to get an answer out of her.

On my Street Glides I had HD 7" windsplitter at the beginning to a Klockwerks 7" (think that's the size). The Klockwerks definitely did better. Wife had no complaints with the Klockwerks, some with the HD 7".

I wish my wife would be decisive lol.

lyork (06-26-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 06:33 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Well, it’s exactly 50/50 on the poll currently, which is kind of what I expected. Thanks to those that have responded !

Old 06-30-2019, 06:45 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The Shark Nose is probably better for the passenger. However I put a 15" Harley Windshield on my Ultra Limited and my wife is very much OK with it. She says it's as good as our Goldwing when it comes to the lack of buffeting and that bike pretty much places both of us in a very quiet pocket of air. On the downside, I'm 6'0" and I'm looking through the windshield. That said, I'm never more than loosening three Phillips Head Screws and 2 or 3 minutes, away from any one of the other Windshields that I have.
I put a 12" Harley windshield on my 2015 Ultra Classic, replacing the stock 10" shield. I am 6' 2" and I look through the 12" shield. That 15" shield must be WAY up there. NO way wind is going to hit you or your passenger. Good going!

Old 06-30-2019, 06:57 AM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain
Received 523 Likes on 246 Posts

Get a Goldwing, No Air at all...........

Old 06-30-2019, 08:14 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by pgrchaplain
Get a Goldwing, No Air at all...........
That is NOT an option...lol.
I have an 11” Ultra Wide shield and honestly we have no complaints. I keep thinking of getting a Road Glide for our next bike, and I’m just looking for a little more side by side opinions. We’ve ridden thousands of great miles on a Batwing, and have test ridden the Road Glide, I’m just not “sold” on the Shark Nose yet

Old 06-30-2019, 01:16 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

Better half and I are both on Road glides and she is rarely on the back. I had an ultra limited as a loaner for about a month when engine blew a couple years ago.

The couple of times she was on the back of the ultra she commented that she got less wind than when on back of the road glide. The ultra had a stock shield, the road glide had a 12" wind splitter at the time.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:51 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Better half and I are both on Road glides and she is rarely on the back. I had an ultra limited as a loaner for about a month when engine blew a couple years ago.

The couple of times she was on the back of the ultra she commented that she got less wind than when on back of the road glide. The ultra had a stock shield, the road glide had a 12" wind splitter at the time.
Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it! We ride all the time 2 up, and I’ve never owned a shark nose, so I’m really thinking of going that route come fall

Quick Reply: Road Glide vs Batwing for passenger