Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary input question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:53 PM
fiddypal
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anybody have wiring diagram or pinouts for the ZUMO GPS? Would love to get this working...

Just did some quick research and the Harley branded GPS seems to only have a line out plug, i am not seeing any other wire that would be sending a signal to the head unit. Is it passing the signal over the aux in cable?

Last edited by fiddypal; 04-26-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by fiddypal
Does anybody have wiring diagram or pinouts for the ZUMO GPS? Would love to get this working...

Just did some quick research and the Harley branded GPS seems to only have a line out plug, i am not seeing any other wire that would be sending a signal to the head unit. Is it passing the signal over the aux in cable?

Here's at Tech Bulletin from issue 1 -2012 of Shop Talk that provides an explanation of how the NIM works for the Zumo Road Tech Garmin units & the (older) Harmon Kardon HU:
H-D ROAD TECH™ ZŪMO® 660/665 AND
NAVIGATION INTERFACE MODULE (NIM)
The zūmo unit in this system must be a Harley-Davidson®
Road Tech version; identifiable by the words “Road Tech
zūmo” printed on the lower left corner of the front of
the unit. If it’s not the H-D Road Tech zūmo, the required
software will not work with the H-D NIM correctly. Some
customers try to install the Road Tech software in their
non-Harley zūmo, and dealers spend a lot of time trying
to figure out why the system isn’t working.
How Road Tech zūmo 660/665 works with NIM and
AAS: With a route programmed in the zūmo and the unit
mounted in the cradle, the zūmo emits a short, inaudible
tone at the beginning of a GPS voice direction that
signals the NIM to take control of the radio and activate
the intercom function, which mutes the music and allows
the voice direction to be heard through the speakers or
headset. At the end of the voice direction, another tone
signals the NIM to return the radio to its previous mode.
In some cases, the end tone may be missed, but the NIM
has a 45 second time-out feature, so any silence after
the GPS voice direction should not last more than 45
seconds
Unfortunately, it doesn't provide the specifications of the sub-audible tones used to switch the NIM function on or off.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:12 AM
fiddypal
Advanced

Wow thank you guys for this info!!!!

The tones coming from the Zumo are not that important, since all they are doing is signaling the NIM to fire commands at the radio. I thought the zumo was connected directly to the radio and telling it when to switch.

Starting to creep a bit above my skill level but I will see where I can get with this project.

Ideal solution is to create a module that sends the interrupt signal to the radio when it detects audio, but I am wondering if there may be too long of a delay between switching to aux and the beep from the radar detector.

Thanks again for the helpful info.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by fiddypal
Wow thank you guys for this info!!!!

The tones coming from the Zumo are not that important, since all they are doing is signaling the NIM to fire commands at the radio. I thought the zumo was connected directly to the radio and telling it when to switch.

Starting to creep a bit above my skill level but I will see where I can get with this project.

Ideal solution is to create a module that sends the interrupt signal to the radio when it detects audio, but I am wondering if there may be too long of a delay between switching to aux and the beep from the radar detector.

Thanks again for the helpful info.
Not true. The Road Tech routed into the 6.5GT through an added AUX input worked just the same as it did on the previous HK radio (but w/o using a NIM hardware module). While there have been comments that this function has been disabled in current/latest versions of the 6.5GT software, the older version that did work is still available from users that have saved them. These reports indicate the NIM is a software subroutine in the 6.5GT system & doesn't require the NIM hardware needed for the previous HK radio.

In Amateur Radio today, most of our VHF & UHF repeater systems use a sub-audible tone to activate the repeater transmitter. The radios themselves have programmable tones that are set to different values (ie 100 Hz, 67 Hz, 131.8 Hz, etc). The repeater listens on an "input" frequency & transmits on an "output" frequency. The radio transmits on the repeater's input frequency & listens on the repeater's output frequency. The repeater will only transmit (repeat) when the input signal includes the required sub-audible tone.

Most of the FRS (family radio service) handy talkies on the market also use the "PL" (private line) tones to limit their audio out to selective signals using the correct sub-audible (PL) tone. All other signals not transmitting the correct PL tone do not cause the receiving radio to output an audio signal.

Both services can also use burst tones to activate their outputs as well, however this method is more subject to RF interference causing false signals. The described info I quoted in my previous post most closely describes a burst tone for activation system.

I point this out because that subaudible tone is key to allowing AUX input signals to temporarily over-ride other input sources to allow the AUX signal to be output to the speakers without adding additional hardware.

An analysis of the output signal from a navigation prompt on a Road Tech GPS unit should reveal the details of that sub-audible signal. A mixer circuit could then be added to any non Road Tech GPS to allow it to function the same as the Road Tech units fooling the 6.5GT into allowing the AUX input to over-ride other input sources w/o any mods to the 6.5GT itself.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 PM
fiddypal
Advanced

You guys know your **** about HD! I know software and a little hardware but am new to HD brand, so thank you VERY much for this info. I am trying to get ahold of a Harley zumo gps so I can test the outputs with an o-scope.

So once I figure out the signal and can reproduce it, what kind of software flashing needs to happen to the bike?(2017 street glide, non touch screen radio, no aux cord I have to add one).

Old 04-30-2017, 10:15 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I put the cb and the aux media on my 2014, one of the 2015 early 2016? boom upgrades included what they need. I have never had a flash and it found them.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Dealer added the Aux Input Kit on my 2018 CVO Limited Anniversary yesterday. I have the HD Road Tech Zumo 660 with the Handlebar Mount but did not hear anything on my ride home. I'm thinking my dealer did not use the service tool. Obviously they did not check it after the install. LOL

Here's part of the on-line Harley Service info:· Have a Harley-Davidson dealer use DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (Part Number:HD-48650) service tool to update the "Audio Inputs" to the desired setting:1. No: Aux input disabled2. Yes: Audio only3. Interrupt tone detection only: For use with H-D branded Garmin GPS devices. Audio prompts from the GPS device will interrupt audio playback to announce turn by turn prompts. The text in the "Input 3 Name" field will not be shown or selectable media device list (FM, USB, XM).4. Interrupt tone detect and add device to mode list: For use with H-D branded Garmin GPS devices. Audio prompts from the GPS device will interrupt audio playback to announce turn by turn prompts. The text in the "Input 3 Name" field will be shown and selectable media device list (FM, USB, XM).· Check the audio system for proper function (a new AUX appears under the "Media" tab).

Old 01-17-2019, 11:27 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by zubaugh
My Dealer added the Aux Input Kit on my 2018 CVO Limited Anniversary yesterday. I have the HD Road Tech Zumo 660 with the Handlebar Mount but did not hear anything on my ride home. I'm thinking my dealer did not use the service tool. Obviously they did not check it after the install. LOL

Here's part of the on-line Harley Service info:· Have a Harley-Davidson dealer use DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (Part Number:HD-48650) service tool to update the "Audio Inputs" to the desired setting:1. No: Aux input disabled2. Yes: Audio only3. Interrupt tone detection only: For use with H-D branded Garmin GPS devices. Audio prompts from the GPS device will interrupt audio playback to announce turn by turn prompts. The text in the "Input 3 Name" field will not be shown or selectable media device list (FM, USB, XM).4. Interrupt tone detect and add device to mode list: For use with H-D branded Garmin GPS devices. Audio prompts from the GPS device will interrupt audio playback to announce turn by turn prompts. The text in the "Input 3 Name" field will be shown and selectable media device list (FM, USB, XM).· Check the audio system for proper function (a new AUX appears under the "Media" tab).
You'll probably want to have them set up option 4). That way you can select alternate audio input source & allow Nav prompts to overide your audio source and allow you to use a music SD card from the 660.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Option 3 or 4

Originally Posted by Hammz
You'll probably want to have them set up option 4). That way you can select alternate audio input source & allow Nav prompts to overide your audio source and allow you to use a music SD card from the 660.
I was thinking Option 4. But wouldn't Option 4 require me to set it each time I turned the bike off? Whereas Option 3 would always interrupt when the 660 was attached and not require setting the AUX. Option three recognizes the presence of the 660 and I could play SD card using the USB port on the dash or my Bluetooth phone. I probably do not understand but it seems Option 4 would not allow other Media to be connected at the same time.

I am not clear on the pros and cons of the options

Old 01-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by zubaugh
I was thinking Option 4. But wouldn't Option 4 require me to set it each time I turned the bike off? Whereas Option 3 would always interrupt when the 660 was attached and not require setting the AUX. Option three recognizes the presence of the 660 and I could play SD card using the USB port on the dash or my Bluetooth phone. I probably do not understand but it seems Option 4 would not allow other Media to be connected at the same time.

I am not clear on the pros and cons of the options
Option 4 allows the Zumo to interupt audio streaming from any source just like Option 3, but also allows the Zumo to be selected as the audio source so you can use the Zumo's SD card as an audio source too. While the 660 has music via its' SD card, there was also a Zumo model w/o music capabilities, hence no need for a dedicated audio input. Either option works, but option 4 adds the additional input for your 660 music.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary input question