Sponsored by:

Stock Air Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:45 PM
baltorex
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Air Filter Replacement

My stock air filter was almost black after about 5600 miles on my 2014 FLHX. Is this typical of Harley air filters? I purchased a new one and replaced it, but this seems to me to be a fairly short life cycle. Maybe the insane amount of pollen in the air during this weird winter in Florida?

On my last bike, a 2011 Street Bob, I replaced the filter with a K&N filter and I would just wash and re-oil it with every oil change\service so I am not sure if this would be normal.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:11 PM
jstrenn
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by baltorex
My stock air filter was almost black after about 5600 miles on my 2014 FLHX. Is this typical of Harley air filters? I purchased a new one and replaced it, but this seems to me to be a fairly short life cycle. Maybe the insane amount of pollen in the air during this weird winter in Florida?

On my last bike, a 2011 Street Bob, I replaced the filter with a K&N filter and I would just wash and re-oil it with every oil change\service so I am not sure if this would be normal.
The stock air filter element is washable, see page 169 of your owners manual. Wash in warm water with a mild detergent and let air dry.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:23 PM
baltorex
Novice

Originally Posted by jstrenn
The stock air filter element is washable, see page 169 of your owners manual. Wash in warm water with a mild detergent and let air dry.
Thanks jstrenn. Now I feel stupid.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by jstrenn
Originally Posted by baltorex
Thanks jstrenn. Now I feel stupid.
Buy a "new but short use" take off. That way you can throw it on and keep riding when the other one is drying. Btw, don't use a blow dryer on it or tumble dry it like someone did here on the forum. Let it air dry.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I talked to a K&N rep on the phone a few weeks ago, and they said they will have a stock
replacement filter some time late Spring or Summer. They are working on one that will fit
in the stock Rushmore air cleaner housing. I was told you only need to clean there air cleaners
once a year, and that the dirtier they look the better they filter the air.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 AM
baltorex
Novice

Originally Posted by OldPhat
I talked to a K&N rep on the phone a few weeks ago, and they said they will have a stock
replacement filter some time late Spring or Summer. They are working on one that will fit
in the stock Rushmore air cleaner housing. I was told you only need to clean there air cleaners
Thanks Oldphat. I was wondering when they would have something out.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

K&N flows more air and more dirt. A K&N air filter is worth 2 to 4 hp. Is 2 to 4 hp worth letting more dirt into your engine?

Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
K&N flows more air and more dirt. A K&N air filter is worth 2 to 4 hp. Is 2 to 4 hp worth letting more dirt into your engine?
Exactly ! And thank you for being the first to say it. I will now add fuel to the fire. If one takes the time to look at the dyno run graphs shown on a number of aftermarket web sites promoting high flow kits, the power gains come on above the rpm point that we ride at. Unless one rides at WOT constantly, all one gets is sop feel good noise from the air intake.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:44 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

K&N makes almost no difference in the rpm range we typically ride in. More dirt into the engine sure ain't worth it to me.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:55 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
I was told you only need to clean there air cleaners
Yep, because they don't filter as well when they are clean. The more air a filter flows, the less it filters.

Quick Reply: Stock Air Filter Replacement