Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible transmission noise SGS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 AM
Triig
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible transmission noise SGS?

So I bought my bike in the winter, and today was only the second ride on it. I noticed a loud whining type noise and at first I thought it was the wind coming over the fairing. But after letting off the throttle I heard the noise go away. After stopping I found I could hear the noise from around 1500-2500 rpms even with the bike in neutral, and from the best I could tell it sounds like the transmission area. I found a bolt on the chrome transmission cover that wasn't all the way installed (and I couldn't get it to budge), but that was the only thing I found.

My bike only has 30 miles on it, and like I said it was only my second ride on the bike. I will take it to Black Hills Harley Davidson in the morning and hopefully they can look at it today. Has anyone else heard any noises like this before?

EDIT: after taking a ride for some lunch, I just noticed that the noise goes away as soon as I pull the clutch in. Hopefully that will help them fix it quicker.

Last edited by Triig; 04-09-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 PM
jstrenn
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They are probably going to tell you to ride it and get it broken in a little bit... Unless it sounds really bad I wouldn't worry about it too much. There lots of bearings and gears that need to get broken in.

Besides it's under warranty if something should fail later.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Triig
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately it wasn't making the noise when I took it to the dealer this morning, so they didn't find anything wrong. The noise was pretty loud when I originally heard it, enough that I could hear it over the radio and wind while doing 65 on the highway. I heard it on all three rides I took yesterday, but not once on the three rides today. Maybe the gremlin is gone.

I can't say enough good things about Black Hills Harley Davidson in Rapid City though. I didn't buy my bike there and they treated me like I had. Checked all of my fluids, pulled the primary cover, and did a full inspection on the bike. They definitely have customer service down.