Sponsored by:

Gps issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:47 AM
rotcart
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gps issues

1) I have changed the arrow on the GPS screen from the arrow to a motorcycle and it will not stay, every time I turn the bike off and start the gps back up the motorcycle has defaulted back to the arrow. It has to be set every time the GPS is restarted. Does anyone know of a way to make the motorcycle the default. I checked and could not find how to do it. One of my buddies has been experiencing the same issue.

2) There are two configurations for viewing the GPS screen, one with north pointing up and the second is the vehicle arrow pointing up and the map rotating around the arrow, I find when it is in this mode the arrow at the top right corner of the screen which indicating north is not reading accurately. The map is reading properly in so much as the roads that are supposed to be on the north side are on the north, etc but with the arrow which indicates north just spins and for the most part points south when it should be pointing north. I know this sounds like a trivial issue but I feel that when I get into unfamiliar areas it is important to know the lay of the land. Has anyone had the same problem and if so does anyone know how to rectify this so the arrow points north?

Thanking you in advance.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 AM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) the motorcycle reverting to arrow is a know glitch with the system. May be corrected on future update, but was support to have been corrected on last update.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 AM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2). When the GPS is set for " direction of travel up" you will see a compass. In the case of the HD infotainment system the compass indicates direction of travel and is not a true compass. Unconventional, but that is the way it is.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by rotcart
1) I have changed the arrow on the GPS screen from the arrow to a motorcycle and it will not stay, every time I turn the bike off and start the gps back up the motorcycle has defaulted back to the arrow. It has to be set every time the GPS is restarted. Does anyone know of a way to make the motorcycle the default. I checked and could not find how to do it. One of my buddies has been experiencing the same issue.

2) There are two configurations for viewing the GPS screen, one with north pointing up and the second is the vehicle arrow pointing up and the map rotating around the arrow, I find when it is in this mode the arrow at the top right corner of the screen which indicating north is not reading accurately. The map is reading properly in so much as the roads that are supposed to be on the north side are on the north, etc but with the arrow which indicates north just spins and for the most part points south when it should be pointing north. I know this sounds like a trivial issue but I feel that when I get into unfamiliar areas it is important to know the lay of the land. Has anyone had the same problem and if so does anyone know how to rectify this so the arrow points north?

Thanking you in advance.
Item 1) per response by emu309.

Item 2) Yes. It uses a very screwy algorithm. What it appears to be doing is pointing in your direction of travel as if north is always up. Completely & utterly stupid. I have complained to H-D about this on several occasions w/o any results. I added the direction to the lower right user defined display field. It gives E, SE, S, SW, etc but it's better than that stupid compass in the upper right quadrant.

Have a good one!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:04 AM
canes75
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latest software on h-d.com corrects the icon issue not staying with the motorcycle

Old 04-14-2014, 11:19 AM
WaucondaRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The newest software definitely fixes the icon issue.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Custardglide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You're lucky, I can't even get a motorcycle icon, it's the arrow only on my bike, and yes I have the latest update!!!

Ady

Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 PM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With respect to rotcart item #2:

I believe that when you are in the "track up" mode the red portion of the little indicator points in your direction of travel (your heading) and the reference for that indicator will always be that up is north and down is south. So, if you are in "track up" and headed west, the top of your display will be west but the red portion of the indicator will point to your left, the nine o'clock position. If headed due east, the top of your display will be east, but the red indicator will point to your right, the three o'clock position. If you are actually heading north, the map will be oriented with north up and the red arrow will point up, to the 12 o'clock position. The red arrow tip will always point in the direction of your heading, north up, south down, etc. without regard to what the map shows. At least that is how it works on my '14 Limited.

Last edited by GSHOG; 04-14-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by GSHOG
With respect to rotcart item #2:

I believe that when you are in the "track up" mode the red portion of the little indicator points in your direction of travel (your heading) and the reference for that indicator will always be that up is north and down is south. So, if you are in "track up" and headed west, the top of your display will be west but the red portion of the indicator will point to your left, the nine o'clock position. If headed due east, the top of your display will be east, but the red indicator will point to your right, the three o'clock position. If you are actually heading north, the map will be oriented with north up and the red arrow will point up, to the 12 o'clock position. The red arrow tip will always point in the direction of your heading, north up, south down, etc. without regard to what the map shows. At least that is how it works on my '14 Limited.
That's one of the best explanations I heard. Nicely done, thank you.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
That's one of the best explanations I heard. Nicely done, thank you.
And it's still a STUPID use for an indicator that's normally used as a compass needle that points north.

Quick Reply: Gps issues