Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gps route setting do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 AM
bkgabby
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What gps route setting do you use?

I was just wondering what gps route setting everyone uses: scenic, shortest or fastest. I have never used scenic but have gone back and forth between fastest and shortest. I hate it when I go through a small town and instead of taking me through it using the two major highway intersections it takes me through via the truck route, which winds all over the place to get me to the same spot I would've been. I've done some "abc's of touring" and getting to some of these post offices I gotta laugh. It has taken me through neighborhoods with multiple turns when in reality it was just one turn off the dang road I was originally on. What am I doing wrong..lol?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Basically you use whatever setting you feel like depending on how you want to go. I have used fastest, shortest & scenic. A matter of choice.:

Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I most often use fastest and find I beat the time by a lot.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

I like to take the back roads for the most part

Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 PM
AmberWhisky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bkgabby
I was just wondering what gps route setting everyone uses: scenic, shortest or fastest. I have never used scenic but have gone back and forth between fastest and shortest. I hate it when I go through a small town and instead of taking me through it using the two major highway intersections it takes me through via the truck route, which winds all over the place to get me to the same spot I would've been. I've done some "abc's of touring" and getting to some of these post offices I gotta laugh. It has taken me through neighborhoods with multiple turns when in reality it was just one turn off the dang road I was originally on. What am I doing wrong..lol?

What are your avoidance settings? Do you have avoid highways enabled.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:50 PM
TheLazyC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what you are doing. If you are out for a weekend ride, I set it to avoid highways, scenic, etc.

If I am trying to get from Point A to Point B, I would set it for the fastest route.

However, very seldom am I trying to get anywhere fast on my bike, it is all about the journey and not the destination...

Old 04-21-2014, 11:52 AM
bkgabby
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLazyC
It depends on what you are doing. If you are out for a weekend ride, I set it to avoid highways, scenic, etc.

If I am trying to get from Point A to Point B, I would set it for the fastest route.

However, very seldom am I trying to get anywhere fast on my bike, it is all about the journey and not the destination...
I'm all about the journey but I don't see why it would want to send me through a neighborhood with six stop signs just to cut a corner that if I had gone another 300yds I would've had to deal with one traffic light.

The avoidance I have active is toll roads and unpaved roads. I've toggled between fastest and shortest and haven't noticed a difference in routing.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:24 PM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hve only tired a couple places so far. Also do not see a difference in how it calculates the route if you pick twisty, fastest, or shortest. They all create the same exact route. Makes me wonder if there really is a difference in the back end logic for those options.