Sponsored by:

Front Fairing Gap Around The 3 Windshield Screws

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:37 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Question Front Fairing Gap Around The 3 Windshield Screws

I had the front fairing off to instal the hidden antenna, and after reinstalling the front fairing cover it seems like there is a bit of a gab around the windshield. I've left all the bolts loose on the front fairing and tried adjusting how I screwed down the fairing with no luck. The new antenna doesn't seem to be in the way, and the fairing it's self appears to be fitting well all the way around, and snug to the rubber gasket.

When tightening the 3 windshield screws there is a bit of a gap on each side of the center windshield screw. Probably 1/8"- 1/16" and goes away as it gets closer to the side screws. I never paid attention before I pulled the stock windshield off. Even when putting the old back on it does the same thing. Is that how the top of the fairing looks when tightened down normally? Screws are not over tightened either. Will post a pic tomorrow if needed.

TIA.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:53 PM
ravenron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Load...I've noticed the same thing on my bike at delivery. I asked my dealer about it and they say it's "normal". I checked out all the FL bikes on the floor and, sure enough, they all have the same type of gap in varying degrees. It seems to me like I need some type of spacer but haven't figured out how to make it yet.

In the end, this is one of the most annoying aspects of my new bike. Just kinda spoils the look of the fairing a bit. I've got a new 5" shield from Freedom Shield on order and I'll see how it looks with it bolted on. I suspect there won't be any drastic change. Gotta figure out a spacer...

If you or anyone else has a solution, I'd love to see it...

Old 04-26-2014, 11:59 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Duct tape.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:26 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks guys. Glad it's not something I did. I'll probably try rubber weatherstripping , then duct tape LoL.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:23 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

It needs two more screws and then equal torque on each.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenron
Load...I've noticed the same thing on my bike at delivery. I asked my dealer about it and they say it's "normal". I checked out all the FL bikes on the floor and, sure enough, they all have the same type of gap in varying degrees. It seems to me like I need some type of spacer but haven't figured out how to make it yet.

In the end, this is one of the most annoying aspects of my new bike. Just kinda spoils the look of the fairing a bit. I've got a new 5" shield from Freedom Shield on order and I'll see how it looks with it bolted on. I suspect there won't be any drastic change. Gotta figure out a spacer...

If you or anyone else has a solution, I'd love to see it...

I have 5 inch Freedom Shield on my bike. Don't get your hopes up.........

Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 AM
DGRF250
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone posted, don't remember who, that they changed out the trim piece and it helped a lot. I have been looking at other Rushmore bikes haven't come across one yet that has been changed. Might be worth a try.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 14 triglide.The right side of mine has a big gap.I was up to the dealer last week & pointed it out to them.Then we checked the 14's that were on the floor,some were sealed good some weren't.All the ones that were bad,was on the right side.The owner said the rep would be in thursday & for me to come up & show him mine.Well it rained the next day so i didn't go.I called & asked them to just show the rep. the ones on the floor.I haven't got back with them yet,but they (h-d) do know about the problem.Not that,that means anything.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

I noticed fairing gap right off the bat on show room bikes from the first time I seen the new bikes.

When I put the freedom shield on my bike on the left side of fairing I had a gap I loosen all the bolts holding outer fairing and was able to minimize the issue but was not able to do much on the three windshield bolts/gaps.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:02 PM
ravenron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DGRF250
Someone posted, don't remember who, that they changed out the trim piece and it helped a lot. I have been looking at other Rushmore bikes haven't come across one yet that has been changed. Might be worth a try.
To what "trim piece" are you referring, the billet strip that fits under the three windshield bolts? I haven't purchased that but have considered as a potential remedy.

Right now I'm leaning towards a thin piece of foam weatherstripping between the outer fairing and the windshield. Should at least give it something to bite into.

Quick Reply: Front Fairing Gap Around The 3 Windshield Screws