Sponsored by:

EITMS - Engine Idle Temperature Management System

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EITMS - Engine Idle Temperature Management System

It is getting warm here in So. Cal. I have had the EITMS activate a couple days so far.
Observations - It works quicker/better than on my 2009. It is tied to the outside temp AND the internal temp on the motor (i think).
It was 91+ at lunch, when i first started the bike it did not activate but automatically did so at red lights after a mile or so of warming up.
I can definitely hear the difference. That is one big thumper at activation.
You can also see when it activates by pressing the "other side" of the right blinker.
Pic one shows enabled and pic 2 shows active.
I guess it is a good thing. It still throws me back to fouled plugs when i was younger. That was never a good thing as fuel was still being delivered to the cylinder....

Attached Thumbnails EITMS - Engine Idle Temperature Management System-20140429_114141.jpg   EITMS - Engine Idle Temperature Management System-20140429_114654.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:06 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

On the '14s it is activated Automatically at 80 degree ambient.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

I've used the info screen to show when it was enabled or disabled, but I didn't know it would show when it is actually active. Pretty cool. I'll have to watch for that.

I know what you mean about taking their word for it that EITMS is a good thing. Luckily they turn off the fuel injector when EITMS kicks in so we're not soaking plugs, but I keep remembering all the problems GM had with their 8-6-4 experiment. Multi-displacement is old news nowdays, but it still seems weird to shut down a cylinder in a running engine.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Bagged Out
Road Captain

GlidingJoe - i thought the interesting thing was how it didn't activate until the engine had warmed up. So it uses 2 different triggers, ambient outside temp and engine temp.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagged Out
GlidingJoe - i thought the interesting thing was how it didn't activate until the engine had warmed up. So it uses 2 different triggers, ambient outside temp and engine temp.
No, it uses an ambient temp sensor, but not until the engine has been running for at least 4 minutes.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I am using Ward Werks FCS fans. ETMS has yet to activate.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
I am using Ward Werks FCS fans. ETMS has yet to activate.
I used Jason's fans on my '07. Worked well. If your EITMS hasn't activated on your '14 then either you have the EITMS disabled or it hasn't been over 80 degrees F yet while you were stopped at idle. The fans have NO EFFECT on EITMS operation on 2014 touring models.

Let me correct myself. I just reread Service Bulletin M1351 Some '14s do use engine temp, some use ambient temp. See the attached exerpt.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
M1351 Excerpt.pdf (11.5 KB, 658 views)

Last edited by Hammz; 04-29-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Correcting Info
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Road Kings and cop bikes use engine temp, all others use ambient air temp of 80 after engine has been running 4 minutes.

Fans will not change the EITMS on those, unless you re-direct the hot air from the fans to the AAT sensor, then it could come on when it is below 80...

Old 04-29-2014, 11:53 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
I used Jason's fans on my '07. Worked well. If your EITMS hasn't activated on your '14 then either you have the EITMS disabled or it hasn't been over 80 degrees F yet while you were stopped at idle. The fans have NO EFFECT on EITMS operation on 2014 touring models.

Let me correct myself. I just reread Service Bulletin M1351 Some '14s do use engine temp, some use ambient temp. See the attached exerpt.

•Touring (except FLHR, FLHRC, FLHRCVO, FLHRSE) and FLHTCUTG:
AAT sensor exceeds 80°F (27°C).

•FLHR, FLHRC, FLHRCVO, FLHP and FLHTP: ET sensor exceeds 288°F

Not sure but According to that bulletin the FLHTCU is not excepted,,,,, I better check to see if it's activated.

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Road Kings and cop bikes use engine temp, all others use ambient air temp of 80 after engine has been running 4 minutes.

Fans will not change the EITMS on those, unless you re-direct the hot air from the fans to the AAT sensor, then it could come on when it is below 80...

So do you think the fans are not doing anything useful?

Last edited by TenMidgets; 04-30-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 AM
Jhugues
Intermediate

Getting hot here as well in Southern France. I have yet to see the EITMS kick in on the new wet head CVO, even in stop and go traffic. Also my legs are not burning anymore compared to my 2010 Ltd (with wards fans). Great job from Harley on the subject, and you visually hardly notice the change.

Quick Reply: EITMS - Engine Idle Temperature Management System