Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the "Rushmore" in all of us...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 PM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For the "Rushmore" in all of us...

Leatherballs I – Who Does Harley Think They Are?

I love Harleys. I hate Harley-Davidson. That seems to be the consensus among old-school biker types these days, and they just might have themselves a point, too.
The Motor Company has always had its problems keeping its hardcore fan base happy. It seems to have a special talent for stepping on its own crank and pissing off (or on) the very people who did the most to make it the institution it is today. Ever since I’ve been riding H-D’s (since ‘82), I’ve heard complaint after complaint, and seen the Powers That Be at H-D making the sort of bonehead moves, again and again, that regularly generate those complaints like some sort of whacked-out ****up factory.
What the hell could they have been thinking when they decided to sue independent bike shops that used “hog” or some variation thereof in their shop name? I’m sure most of you remember that one. It ain’t as if Harley thought that “hog” business up themselves, after all. But they sure were willing enough to glom onto the idea—and then have their slickee-boy lawyers claim it as their very own private property.
And apehangers; they trademarked apehangers, ferchrissake. Trademarked ‘em, that is, after denouncing way back when the people who invented ‘em, and the way-out chops they were bolted to, as unsafe, unacceptable, and just generally mad, bad, and dangerous to know. Customization was something the factory didn’t much like back then; now, “customs” are what they sell the most of. Nothing wrong with learning from your mistakes and adapting to changing times, of course, but it does tend to tick off independent shop owners and backyard customizers a mite when the factory does its level damnedest to put ‘em out of business—and then turns around and steals their best ideas, copyrights ‘em, and sues the pants off of aforesaid innovators for using their own inventions without properly crediting the Great God Harley.
I hear HD ain’t cooperating with S&S like they used to; you could prove it by the fact that when I went to bolt an S&S onto my ‘06 half-a-Harley, I had to grind a whole bunch of cylinder fin off just to get an Allen socket in there to do the job. That was no accident, and the hassle it produced was no fun. Luckily, the cylinders were coming off anyway for some other mods we won’t discuss right now, lest you ever be tempted to bet me a hundred bucks that your Low Rider can take me 0-100 (hint: it can’t). That made it relatively easy to get mine done and together.
But what about Joe Biker out there, working in his attached garage, basement, or under the shade of his favorite sycamore? What’s he supposed to do? And, more to the point, does Harley give a damn?
Why, it’s enough to make one consider riding rice.
Except dammit, no, it ain’t.
Something you oughta know about me: I am not a kid anymore, but sometimes I like to ride like one. The only thing I like better than going fast is going faster yet, and I spend more time looking over my shoulder for John Law before cracking hard on the loud handle than I do calmly taking in the scenery. I’ve been stuck on Sportster for years now, although I’ve owned just about everything H-D at one time or another, and I wring every last bit of go-juice out of each and every one of them like a thirsty castaway squeezing his last orange.
And I think we’re all big boys and girls by now, and can admit that these rice-rockets will surely walk past most of our fine American iron as if we were in reverse. The Jap bikes are fast, alright. But even for a guy like me, fast just ain’t everything.
I ain’t riding rice. Period. It’s not even a question to be considered for me, and I suspect for most of you reading this. I’m not into busting anybody’s ***** for riding Jap, though; there have been times in my life when I was stuck with a Yamakawazukibitsosushi myself, and it’s a free country. But no matter how bad Harley jerks us around, no matter how many times they try to trademark engine noise, no matter what army of lawyers they send to my house to tell me to cease and desist from violating the pristine purity of their perfect product, my *** sits on Milwaukee steel, or it stays the hell home.
At this point, seems like maybe an introduction might be in order. I’m known to my tightest bros as Leatherballs—no, really—and I’m pretty sure I don’t wanna know why. I’m a former truck driver, a former independent-shop Harley mechanic, and a professional rock and roll/rockabilly guitar player and singer. I’ve been on two wheels my whole life, starting with a Honda SL70 back in 1971 when I was just a kid. I’ve ridden ‘em all over the years, but have been a full-bore Harley guy since ‘82. I’m partial to Sportsters, like I said, and I like building ‘em light, simple, plain, and quick. I don’t care much about topping out at 180 or grinding pegs on steep mountain curves; mostly what I like is getting from about 30 to about 90 in a straight line in less time than it takes to say it. I’m from the South and I’m goddamned proud of it. I’m not quite old enough to be entirely old school, but I can sure as hell see old school from where I’m at. My overall attitude was best summed up by another biker-rag columnist from years back: I ain’t nobody’s mother.
They’re letting me say whatever the hell I want around here, and I plan to take full advantage of it. But that’s probably enough to chew on for starters.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Geez. You should start your own blog.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM
sft-tale
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

someone just likes to hear himself talk...get a life buddy

Old 04-30-2014, 02:06 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I suddenly love Harleys after riding rice most of my life. But it took the Rushmore to make it so., I was ready to trade a 2012 Road King for an Indian just last week. SO I am still in school and hope never to "graduate" I am sticking with the brand until it lets me down. Drinking the Kool-aid. Buying the T shirt.

No other bike has made me want to "just go for a ride like this one" Even the 2012 FLRH I had for two months.

That is all I have to say. Everything else is just words.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:06 PM
DBLXX
Road Master

You guys are great. Must be real plesant people to be married to, friends with, or family members of. LMAO.

That was a cut and paste from a motorcycle blogger. Thought it was an interesting read.

Really surprises me that such intelligent people like yourselves (up above) would waste your incredibly valuable time to tell me I need to get a life.

You guys have mirrors in your home...right? Take a peek once in a while.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 PM
DBLXX
Road Master

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
I suddenly love Harleys after riding rice most of my life. But it took the Rushmore to make it so., I was ready to trade a 2012 Road King for an Indian just last week. SO I am still in school and hope never to "graduate" I am sticking with the brand until it lets me down. Drinking the Kool-aid. Buying the T shirt.

No other bike has made me want to "just go for a ride like this one" Even the 2012 FLRH I had for two months.

That is all I have to say. Everything else is just words.

I'm with you....owned every touring bike, sport bike, large CC scooter under the sun....it took Rushmore and it's new technology to convert me.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM
spr0k3t
Tourer

Thought I had read this before.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:11 PM
DBLXX
Road Master

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
Thought I had read this before.
Yeah...tried to use the QUOTE feature...but it didn't take. Now I am glad I didnt because all the losers come running out to call me names.

I love unveiling the maturity.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 PM
sft-tale
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sft-tale
someone just likes to hear himself talk...get a life buddy
I think I may of been a little rude. Sorry. Don't stop writing....I still like reading all this stuff. I guess I'm the kind of guy who just reads a lot and occasionally may have to ask a question. But that's just me. I apologize.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:18 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLXX
Yeah...tried to use the QUOTE feature...but it didn't take. Now I am glad I didnt because all the losers come running out to call me names.

I love unveiling the maturity.
LOL, I figured you'd just had one pint to0 many this afternoon
I've always liked Harley's but this is the first one I've owned. I previously owned Goldwings as I like their technology and ride. The Rushmore improvements were exactly what I was looking for so I was happy to make the switch.

Last edited by dgreen1069; 04-30-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: For the "Rushmore" in all of us...