Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rushmore wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:57 PM
tommytailspin
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you hit the twisties and sweepers more aggressively than the average rider , swing test spec is too loose. if it wobbles a bit when you hit em hard tighten them up a bit and the wobble goes away.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:44 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm not going to pretend I know what's going on with your bike, but every time I feel a wobble in a high speed curve I pull out the tire gauge afterward and sure enough, that rear tire is soft. This is every time. Oh yeah, 2014 FLHR.

GM

Old 12-11-2017, 07:54 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

My 2016 FLHTCU has never "wobbled" as described. At 36k miles, bone stock, this bike is rock solid in turns. However, like any motorcycle, a firm control hand is required during fast turns. You can't let the bike ride itself, it needs to be controlled, and never over cook a turn or there may be a certain amount of panicky wobbling.

I know what a wobbler feels like, though. I put 55k miles on a 2000 Kawasaki Voyager. This bike wobbled in high speed sweepers until I put a few more inch-pounds of torque on the steering bearings. After that, it was better, but still would get to oscillating if I didn't set up the turn properly, keep the speed level, and keep a firm hand on the bars.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:16 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok folks, we have been talking about the wobble for years on here and in our garages with the gang.

Here's a question, how many guys experiencing the wobble have modified their handle bars? Apes? Mini apes? Even just moving them away from the stock location?

I have had the wobble more than once, not a good feeling at all but I will say both of my bikes picked it up after I messed with the bars. I installed 12" apes on my 09 streetglide then 14" on my 15 road glide special. I absolutely believe this is part of the equation.

I have 10,000 miles on the road glide now, had it to the dealer and they checked the steering head, all was good. My rear tire was shot though so I replaced it and the difference was night and day as we all know from installing a tire.

Anyway just curious how many have changed their bars and picked up the wobble? There aren't many of these bikes out there with stock bars on them anymore, seems like that is one of the first things people will change because the stock bars basically suck.

Lets hear it folks.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm an experienced rider (former club racer, sport rider, etc.), and had experienced this on a 2005 RoadKing with no "Bagger Brace." Scary, but predictable. My 98 RK had a brace and was planted through corners, no matter the tire wear. Fast-forward to my 16 SG. It felt nice and tight... up until a couple weeks ago. At 6.5k miles now, she gets a bit unsettled in the fast sweepers--especially if they're bumpy or "wavy." Not quite a wobble, but she feels loose. And so I will definitely get the modern equivalent of the Bagger Brace (Tru-Track?) in order to establish a solid connection between the swingarm and the frame--I believe this is where the problem originates. And there is a problem.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:47 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by rusty289
Ok folks, we have been talking about the wobble for years on here and in our garages with the gang.

Here's a question, how many guys experiencing the wobble have modified their handle bars? Apes? Mini apes? Even just moving them away from the stock location?

I have had the wobble more than once, not a good feeling at all but I will say both of my bikes picked it up after I messed with the bars. I installed 12" apes on my 09 streetglide then 14" on my 15 road glide special. I absolutely believe this is part of the equation.

I have 10,000 miles on the road glide now, had it to the dealer and they checked the steering head, all was good. My rear tire was shot though so I replaced it and the difference was night and day as we all know from installing a tire.

Anyway just curious how many have changed their bars and picked up the wobble? There aren't many of these bikes out there with stock bars on them anymore, seems like that is one of the first things people will change because the stock bars basically suck.

Lets hear it folks.
I have 14" Yaffee's. Never had anything like a wobble; not going straight (I can cruise without hands for miles and miles), not in turns (even dragging boards). Maybe I just got a good one?

The following users liked this post:
rusty289 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:11 AM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Mine was doing the same and it turned out to be the rear bearings going out on me.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:17 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

My '15 Limited doesn't do it (yet). When/if it ever does, I'll fix it myself. There's no way in hell I'd ever let some brain-dead dealer "tech" touch my bike!

Last edited by jpooch00; 12-15-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:44 AM
tommytailspin
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMountainGlider
Just turned over 4100 miles today. I started feeling the familiar Harley wobble about two weeks ago. Went to the dealership this morning to try and get it taken care of. The service manager said that at the last Tech School meeting they discussed this specifically on the 2014's. He said that they won't even look at the neck bearing for the 5k service because it was "up to spec after the 1K", I have to wait until the 10k or else i'll be charged possibly over an hour for them to tighten it up. After my dealership visit I took her up the mountain on the interstate and it was wobbling real bad in the sweepers. Just wondering if anyone else is having wobbling issues on the Rushmores and what you're doing about it.
harleys swing test is spec for the average rider. if you encounter wobble in twisties and sweepers tighten the neck brg end play a bit. easy on rushmore bikes. loosen fork tube pinch bolts on upper triple tree. then take a long 3/8" drive extension rotate till you feel it drop in then righty tighty it a bit. harleys long years ago had a big thumb screw on top of steering neck behind handle bars so the end play could be adjusted on the fly for different riding conditions and riding styles. if that were there today nobody would know what to do with it so mo co must adjust them for the average rider.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:24 AM
ch54
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a '12 FLHTC. Traded in on a '15 FLHTK at 60000. Now have 47000 on the 15. No wobble on either bike. I'm not a real aggressive rider but I have scraped floorboards and the braces under them on occasion.

Quick Reply: Rushmore wobble?