Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rushmore wobble?

Old 05-01-2014, 06:18 PM
RockyMountainGlider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rushmore wobble?

Just turned over 4100 miles today. I started feeling the familiar Harley wobble about two weeks ago. Went to the dealership this morning to try and get it taken care of. The service manager said that at the last Tech School meeting they discussed this specifically on the 2014's. He said that they won't even look at the neck bearing for the 5k service because it was "up to spec after the 1K", I have to wait until the 10k or else i'll be charged possibly over an hour for them to tighten it up. After my dealership visit I took her up the mountain on the interstate and it was wobbling real bad in the sweepers. Just wondering if anyone else is having wobbling issues on the Rushmores and what you're doing about it.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 PM
LilWick
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting. I had "wobble" a couple of weeks ago and a buddy in front of me on a night train had something similar in the same corner...we were clipping along real good and it got my attention. I went through several corners after that and since and had no wobble or other adverse cornering issues. I am assuming you checked tire pressures, etc...to make sure everything was good.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:10 PM
RockyMountainGlider
Novice

When I first noticed it I had the girl on the back and she did not like that one bit. I knew what it felt like cuz my dyna did it all the time. The first thing I did when I got home was check the tires, they were only 2-3psi low on each so I filled them back up and I think it helped a little. I also adjusted the rear shock to make it a little stiffer thinking it was just swaying cuz it was too low. Again, I think that made an improvement for about 4 days. Then today was when it scared me, looking down a 200 ft drop off wobbling goin 90... Don't want to do that again.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Liquidoxygen
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted this sentence in another thread

"bike feels "washy" during cornering. It seems to want to stand up a little and feels a little wobbly."

Maybe I am experiencing the same issue. Please keep us informed. Hope there is a fix.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
davemc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

According to this:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-exposed.html

the wobble is produced by the way a Harley is designed (specifically the engine mounting), not by bad steering bearings or tires.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 PM
RockyMountainGlider
Novice

Originally Posted by davemc
According to this:

the wobble is produced by the way a Harley is designed (specifically the engine mounting), not by bad steering bearings or tires.
That's the thread that I read right after it started happening. Graham also addresses the fact that the bike must be in tip top shape ie; Tight neck bearings. I truly think that this is the problem. It was running on a rail for me until about 3600 miles. That's when i first noticed it. And i must not be the only one who is having this problem because it was specifically addressed at the tech meeting (according to the manager).

Old 05-01-2014, 08:16 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Pay the cost of labor to have it checked,if it is the problem warranty should cover it,if not at least you'll have piece of mind.JMO.Worth the labor charge if your azz is on that bike.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Tony Steele
Cruiser

I've noticed that myself, figured it was just me, the wind, or passed it off to worn tires. I'll see what the dealer has to say when I get mine serviced and the front tire replaced tomorrow.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:26 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm at 7100 and no wobble as of yet

Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 PM
FLHTKONE
Advanced

Originally Posted by davemc
According to this:

This is correct. I lived thru a "death wobble" on my 06 SE Ultra. Only with a little luck and my experience I was able to not go down.

There are some very good threads on this forum on the subject. One of the first things I did was get the True Track. I also have it on my 14 Limited.

For those of you have never experience the "death wobble", I hope you never do but keep in mind it could happen to anyone without notice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rushmore wobble?