2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone done 1000 mile service and only drained 2 or so qts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Betteroff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done 1000 mile service and only drained 2 or so qts?

I forgot to check the dipstick before I drained the engine. But I poured all the drained oil back into the new oil bottle and only had 2.25 quarts. I even drained the filter too. I know that the filter media has some oil in it but I expected to drain what I put in, which was 3 quarts. I did not over fill. Dipstick level is at full when hot. Oil was drained for 30 min. while level on bike lift.

Stupid me took for granted that oil was topped off at purchase, since it's a new bike. Have any of you found that your new bike was not full? I have read that past Harleys are known to consume some oil during break-in. Is this true?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Betteroff
Cruiser

I'm reading now where most suggest keeping oil level at the half mark to prevent oil puking.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

There will always be oil left in sump after draining.This is why they say to fill with 3 quarts and then check level.Leaving low oil level to keep oil from puking is not going to make any difference.Would You leave Your oil level in Your car low for any reason?Look into a crankcase breather bypass to keep oil from puking.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Betteroff
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harttoo
There will always be oil left in sump after draining.This is why they say to fill with 3 quarts and then check level.Leaving low oil level to keep oil from puking is not going to make any difference.Would You leave Your oil level in Your car low for any reason?Look into a crankcase breather bypass to keep oil from puking.
Exactly my thoughts.

I am looking at bypasses. J&P sells a nice one with braided hose fro $67. You can get cheaper kits or piece one together cheaper.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/4000380

Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Harttoo
It's well known that some Harley's when serviced with oil to the top of the oil level range will*suck oil out into the air cleaner. I haven't experience on 4 bikes but on some bikes it is an issue. For those bikes keeping the oil at about the half way mark seems to work. Do a search on this.
My bike doesn't do this enough to make a difference in oil level but I can see some oily residue on the bottom of the air filter backplate where it leads into the throttle body. I'm going to vent it to outside of the air cleaner housing.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 AM
skieverything
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I read correctly, the bike is supposed to be tilted, on the jiffy stand to drain and to check.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skieverything
If I read correctly, the bike is supposed to be tilted, on the jiffy stand to drain and to check.
Just what I was thinking based on where the drain plug is. East to image several ounces not coming out if not tilted on the kickstand.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:47 AM
tbird71
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2015 flhtp drained 2.75 qt including oil filter. I followed manual and started with 3 qts...NOT. That put me a little over full when hot.

My 98 heritage doesn't like to be over 1/2 between add and full and that's what I have now in my new one (after draining 1/4 qt)

Start with 2 1/2 qts THEN check hot and see where you are would be my idea

And that tranny dip stick is useless to me...cant read it worth a ****.
28 oz and call it good for me

Old 01-19-2016, 11:03 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by skieverything
Thats the way I read it and still your only going to replace a little over 3 qts measuring a little better than half way up the dip stick.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:10 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it sounds like you were around 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart low when you drained My bike consumed no measureable oil during break in

Quick Reply: Anyone done 1000 mile service and only drained 2 or so qts?