Sponsored by:

Taking the 'TK for a spin

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 PM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the 'TK for a spin

Two years ago I rode to Alaska with a bunch of Iron Butt Association friends from around the country - we met in Key West, met again in Dawson Creek, then attacked the Haul Road en masse. I loved Alaska so much I have to go back. This time it'll be solo.

I'll be taking my favorite short-cut to Alaska again <grin> riding first to Key West (the most southerly point you can ride in the US), then to Lubec, Maine (the most eastern), then on to Homer, Alaska (yep, the westernmost point you can drive to).

My wife doesn't let me leave home without my trusty SPOT tracker, so you can all follow along at this link: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...d5317423c0bf7b (trip goes live this Friday)

Even though I’ll be riding solo, it takes a lot of people to make a ride like this happen:

• Thanks to the team at Rocky Mountain H-D for keeping my bike on the road.
• Thanks to Howard Messner at Motorcycle Metals for the custom Ohlins he has designed and rebuilt for me - what a sweet ride!
• And above all, thanks to my wonderful wife who lets me go out and have my fun, even though I know it’s a bit of a worry for her….

I've attached a pic file for the route as it's currently planned, the little “pineapple” icons are National Parks I may be stopping at, red push pins are Canadian National Parks, the green squares/beds are possible overnight stops I used to break up the routes into manageable sizes (not likely actual stopping points), and the wine glass in south Florida is the Scotch Single Malt Whisky Society tasting room <grin> All planned on a Garmin zumo 665 mounted to the handlebars, btw.

Attached Thumbnails Taking the 'TK for a spin-southeastwest-route.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 11:30 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Dan,

Have a great ride, I'm looking forward to checking in on your spot tracks on occasion.

I haven't been to Alaska (yet), but am familiar with the LD scene. I probably won't take the new FLHTK on my LD rides, that's what the FJR is for...

All the best,

Shane (IBA #7676)

Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have great ride...how many miles do you expect to cover? I am getting serious about a trip from here in AZ, up the Rockies, and up into Alaska and then the Arctic Circle

Good luck...post some awesome pics

Old 05-21-2014, 03:44 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Awesome, good luck and have fun!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:57 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow! What an incredible planned journey! How do you keep sane for that many miles all by your lone?

Old 05-21-2014, 05:30 AM
RK_2014
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alaska, Prudoe Bay and the Haul Road are all on my bucket list

Safe travels and have a memorable ride

Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 449 Posts

Have a great ride. Be safe. I've been to Alaska twice. Made it up the Haul Rd to the Artic Circle the first time with a friend. Ten years later I went to Anchorage solo. I also had the Spot tracker on the second trip. Gave me some peace of mind with the SOS button (glad I never needed it) and I also had the Roadside Assistance coverage (didn't need that either). But the biggest benefit was that family and friends were a little more at ease because they could track my progress. Wish I was going but I guess I'll just have to follow along on the computer. Enjoy.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 AM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by Shanebo
I haven't been to Alaska (yet), but am familiar with the LD scene. I probably won't take the new FLHTK on my LD rides, that's what the FJR is for...
Thanks, Shane - Iron Butt rides are my addiction (wife says OBSESSION!) so maybe we've crosses paths at some point. Ex-Bettendorfer, btw...

Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 AM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by SunPilot
Have great ride...how many miles do you expect to cover? I am getting serious about a trip from here in AZ, up the Rockies, and up into Alaska and then the Arctic Circle

Good luck...post some awesome pics
Somewhere north of 14,000 miles and 3-4 weeks. My trip past the Arctic Circle to Deadhorse was actually on a bmw dual sport - no way I would abuse my Harley that way <lol> One needs to be very comfortable on gravel to tackle the Haul Road...

Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 AM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
Wow! What an incredible planned journey! How do you keep sane for that many miles all by your lone?
The voices in my head keep me company <grin>

New roads, new scenery, an awesome couple of countries - it's actually a bit of sensory overload for me on a trip like this.

Quick Reply: Taking the 'TK for a spin