Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 PM
starbiker99
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got home. 225 miles on the auto-tune. Still lots of open blocks. I also am getting some popping on decel at 1900-2200 or so. It's not bad and I have for sure heard worse. My issue is still with the idle I think it's too rich. It runs rough at idle and especially on start up. This is my auto-tune after 225 miles of riding here in CO flat and mountains.

Attached Thumbnails FP3 question-2014-06-03-00.44.36.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 PM
68beep
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by starbiker99
Just got home. 225 miles on the auto-tune. Still lots of open blocks. I also am getting some popping on decel at 1900-2200 or so. It's not bad and I have for sure heard worse. My issue is still with the idle I think it's too rich. It runs rough at idle and especially on start up. This is my auto-tune after 225 miles of riding here in CO flat and mountains.
I done an auto tune twice and never had as many green blocks filled as you do; but with the auto tune on I experienced the same popping and rich mixture on startup; but when I applied the auto tune learned values it ran perfectly and pulled hard when I went through the gears. Try that and see what happens. If it does not get better call V & H as they are a good source for helping their customers.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 PM
starbiker99
Tourer

OK it says I have about 35 miles before I need to fill up. When I do I will apply the auto-tune. That will be great if it leans up a bit and idles better. Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by 68beep
I done an auto tune twice and never had as many green blocks filled as you do; but with the auto tune on I experienced the same popping and rich mixture on startup; but when I applied the auto tune learned values it ran perfectly and pulled hard when I went through the gears. Try that and see what happens. If it does not get better call V & H as they are a good source for helping their customers.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:49 AM
bpd138
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starbiker99
Your map looks very much like mine does. I've attached two auto tune maps. The first one was autotune after about 80 miles. The second one was after another 70 miles. My bike is running great. Doesn't smell like it's running rich, no black "soot" in the exhaust and no decel pop. I wonder if you picked a different pipe/muffler combo if you might find an improvement?

Attached Thumbnails FP3 question-screenshot_2014-05-29-20-40-56.jpg   FP3 question-screenshot_2014-06-01-15-18-33.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:18 AM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I chose a base map closest to my setup and flashed... ran that map for a while and tried another. Then another....

I then chose the map that had the best performance to flash for the auto-tune.

Once I did it... I went on a 128 mile... mainly freeway, but occasional 30-50mph streets. Here is where I am at.

Now... everything seems to be working great. I have no rough idle, but I do get a slight hesitation when I rap the throttle within the first 5 minutes of starting. No biggie though... I cough it up to the learning curve it's in.

I am going to try a few scenarios to populate the map more... WOT's and rollons to get the higher RPMS's and TPS % blocks....

Full decels and idle cruising for the lower areas of the TPS range.... we shall see what happens...

so far... I am pretty happy with it.... no complaints

Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 AM
bpd138
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looking at the maps that have been posted it appears that the green blocks are all in the "cruising" range of the RPM and Throttle position. I'm wondering if we did some slower, stop and go riding around town whether the other blocks would populate to green?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Spazz
Tourer

I agree... thats why I mentioned low idle cruise for a scenario and WOT rollons and full decels for the other

Old 06-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Is anyone seeing the throttle position as 4-5% with the bike running, Idling or off and the throttle closed?
If you start the bike and "view Sensors" it will tell you what your TPS is at.
This just seems wrong if everyone's shows more than 0% and it's closed. I couldn't imagine all the tables working accurate if it gives you a false TPS. It should be at 0% if the throttle is closed

Smitty

The following users liked this post:
Dirtslinger103 (03-25-2018)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 AM
starbiker99
Tourer

That's what I see too. Every time I have been in the view sensor data screen the TPS sits at 5%. I never really thought much about it but what you say makes sense. Wy is it not as 0 when it should be.

Originally Posted by Smittyjf
Is anyone seeing the throttle position as 4-5% with the bike running, Idling or off and the throttle closed?
If you start the bike and "view Sensors" it will tell you what your TPS is at.
This just seems wrong if everyone's shows more than 0% and it's closed. I couldn't imagine all the tables working accurate if it gives you a false TPS. It should be at 0% if the throttle is closed

Smitty

Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Spazz
Tourer

I think the TPS is never actually closed... if you think of a carb... the butterly has to be open slightly to idle to have some air... its just slightly off seat. I am thinking the same applies to the TPS position being regulated via the ECM in the same manner...

I could be wrong... just a logical assumption on my part

Quick Reply: FP3 question