Sponsored by:

Coolant pump failure on long distance trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Coolant pump failure on long distance trip

This is my story regarding a complete failure of the coolant pump which resulted in a 5 day break down on a long trip.

I rode the bike locally 1500 miles and had 3100 on the time of break down.

I wont bash the bike. I actually think its one of the best long distance bikes I ever had but its also the only HD that ever failed on me! I went on a long, solo trip.
I rode 1086 miles the first day.
Second day I rode about 600.
Third say check engine light comes on shortly followed by the overheat light...upon checking the coolant level the bottle is full.
I am not a tech but was sure the pump failed.
I called the nearest dealer which is 75 miles away.
I was assured that they stated the bike was now an air cooled bike and to try to stay out of traffic. No problem...I was in NW Colorado...not much traffic.
The bike ran like crap...no power at all.
The dealer I went too stated that they just gave out the last pump they had to a trike that came in earlier.
It was Friday and they stated the pump should be in sometime Monday.
The GM refused my request to have a pump taken off a showroom bike...they didn't have many water cooled bikes in stock.
The tech also showed me he noted the fans fuse was blown and stated he wasn't sure what the problem and was waiting on a pump to test the entire system.
The GM and I agreed that the water cooled feature is problematic. The GM offered to take the bike back from me and I would have come out even on the deal which surprised me.
My situation is that now this bike will always be the one that failed me.
Don't matter how great it runs or ran up until the break down...the fact is that it broke down and left me stranded.

I know this is a long post so wrapping it up...
I was shown the pump...it really felt cheap...not sure what I was expecting. The plastic pump housing just felt like cheap plastic.
Looking at the entire system (mostly lying on the rack by the doa bike) it all looked cheap...cheap plastic junk...junk that failed.

I know a lot of guys are saying that this is the best bike ever!
I was one of those guys!
Just not really sure anymore about having any confidence in the bike.
I had two tech at different dealers telling me that they would not recommend the bike at this time....
I have to agree.
I also feel like I was a product tester.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:20 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

VROD is the only water cooled bike I would buy from Harley. For the record, I worried a lot about the water pump on my Honda VTX 1800 as well. It's just one of those parts that fails. Unfortunately yours failed much earlier than expected. Good luck in the future.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:09 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

This really sux, was kinda hoping most of these major issues were behind us, hopefully yours is an isolated issue and they get you up and out the door real quick, good luck!

Old 06-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Wayne Carlton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems to me that you have more then just a pump problem. As I understand it the bikes are still air cooled the water colling sysyem just helps keep rider cooler. They say you should be abel to ride them even if they run out of water. Not sure why you had a power loss problem

Old 06-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

A real bummer the bike let you down. I was tempted to buy a limited but opted for the Ultra instead only because the water cooled system on the Limited hasn't been proven reliable (in my mind anyway) due to the newness of the design. I had always been taught to never buy the first year model of anything (vehicles that is) because more often than not you end up being a beta tester. The Ultra has some new things but nothing a drastic departure from past bikes so I felt relatively safe acquiring one. The MOCO will get things sorted on the Limited in time.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:30 PM
FLTHarleyman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1000 miles the first day
I'm impressed

Old 06-18-2014, 02:40 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Carlton
seems to me that you have more then just a pump problem. As I understand it the bikes are still air cooled the water colling sysyem just helps keep rider cooler. They say you should be abel to ride them even if they run out of water. Not sure why you had a power loss problem
I'll have to agree with this, And I was told by my dealer that the water cooled system was tested over and over in extreme conditions by the MOCO before being offered to the public, please keep us imformed

Old 06-18-2014, 02:57 PM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tpcowfish
I'll have to agree with this, And I was told by my dealer that the water cooled system was tested over and over in extreme conditions by the MOCO before being offered to the public, please keep us imformed
I was told by the mother ship the bike can run without any coolant at all.
Was mainly designed for rider convenience.
just my 2 cents
good luck i hope they find the issue

Old 06-18-2014, 03:02 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

sorry for the mishap. Harley test's pretty well before offering. I saw this on a youtube video of their testing grounds and procedures in phoenix (I think). I don't fault plastic parts as plastic probably is a better material to use for water transfer ( my marine experience's).
Some say harley's are bulletproof some say not. This bike is my first harley so the jury for me is out. The recalls have kind of gotton to me however. NO probs with my SGS as yet, 'cept recalls.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap
This is my story regarding a complete failure of the coolant pump which resulted in a 5 day break down on a long trip.

I rode the bike locally 1500 miles and had 3100 on the time of break down.

I wont bash the bike. I actually think its one of the best long distance bikes I ever had but its also the only HD that ever failed on me! I went on a long, solo trip.
I rode 1086 miles the first day.
Second day I rode about 600.
Third say check engine light comes on shortly followed by the overheat light...upon checking the coolant level the bottle is full.
I am not a tech but was sure the pump failed.
I called the nearest dealer which is 75 miles away.
I was assured that they stated the bike was now an air cooled bike and to try to stay out of traffic. No problem...I was in NW Colorado...not much traffic.
The bike ran like crap...no power at all.
The dealer I went too stated that they just gave out the last pump they had to a trike that came in earlier.
It was Friday and they stated the pump should be in sometime Monday.
The GM refused my request to have a pump taken off a showroom bike...they didn't have many water cooled bikes in stock.
The tech also showed me he noted the fans fuse was blown and stated he wasn't sure what the problem and was waiting on a pump to test the entire system.
The GM and I agreed that the water cooled feature is problematic. The GM offered to take the bike back from me and I would have come out even on the deal which surprised me.
My situation is that now this bike will always be the one that failed me.
Don't matter how great it runs or ran up until the break down...the fact is that it broke down and left me stranded.

I know this is a long post so wrapping it up...
I was shown the pump...it really felt cheap...not sure what I was expecting. The plastic pump housing just felt like cheap plastic.
Looking at the entire system (mostly lying on the rack by the doa bike) it all looked cheap...cheap plastic junk...junk that failed.

I know a lot of guys are saying that this is the best bike ever!
I was one of those guys!
Just not really sure anymore about having any confidence in the bike.
I had two tech at different dealers telling me that they would not recommend the bike at this time....
I have to agree.
I also feel like I was a product tester.
What year and month was your bike build? ( info on vin label front of frame)

Quick Reply: Coolant pump failure on long distance trip