Sponsored by:

disable route recalculation

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011FXDC
Damn Hammz try some decaf...if you actually read his post he wasn't really bitching but just asking a question. Take a few deep breaths...
I hear you but you should reread his (3 total) posts. If his posting was strictly to ask about the '14s NAV system, then why all the point by point BMW vs HD specs? His point was he test rode the HD & wanted to:

1) justify to himself why he shouldn't buy it

2) Make sure we understood how superior his BMW is

We catch enough negative comments from existing HDF members about the 14s, we don't need newbies coming on here just to brag up on their foreign brands.

Last edited by Hammz; 07-09-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:55 AM
frankenralf
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
1) justify to himself why he shouldn't buy it
..I try to find a solution or answer about a detail which is very important for me because my wife is already convinced. Be sure that I also interviewed some owners here and I am also pretty sure that the quality increased over the years. The belt would be for sure a better alternative to the BMW kardan which makes noises on the 1600.

2) Make sure we understood how superior his BMW is
...BMW is not superior product just different. I had a BMW K1200LT before and the rear bearing broke 3 times. I did 80.000km with it. Just to blame BMW. On the 1600 I have noise (famous "klong") from the drive train and also the other well known issues with hard 1. gear and so on...

Every bike has its own caracteristic and positiv and negative points. Harley is not superior BMW as well. Or should we also discuss about Goldwing which would be also an alternative for comfortable touring?
In my club everybody is driving different brand and is accepted with his choice.
I think that you cannot be a friend of a non Harley owner...If you are frustrated about comments from existing Harley users don't make other brand owners responsible for. Just blame them.

Ralf

Last edited by frankenralf; 07-10-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by frankenralf
..I try to find a solution or answer about a detail which is very important for me because my wife is already convinced. Be sure that I also interviewed some owners here and I am also pretty sure that the quality increased over the years. The belt would be for sure a better alternative to the BMW kardan which makes noises on the 1600.

...BMW is not superior product just different. I had a BMW K1200LT before and the rear bearing broke 3 times. I did 80.000km with it. Just to blame BMW. On the 1600 I have noise (famous "klong") from the drive train and also the other well known issues with hard 1. gear and so on...

Every bike has its own caracteristic and positiv and negative points. Harley is not superior BMW as well. Or should we also discuss about Goldwing which would be also an alternative for comfortable touring?
In my club everybody is driving different brand and is accepted with his choice.
I think that you cannot be a friend of a non Harley owner...If you are frustrated about comments from existing Harley users don't make other brand owners responsible for. Just blame them.

Ralf
Ralf -

OK, if you are seriously looking for a solution for the NAV system that will allow you to keep the features of the GPS you currently have, then you will need to add a Garmin with the features you need. The Harley version includes a tone output (only available on the HD Road Tech version, not on Garmin version) that will allow integration with the Infotainment system (by adding Aux 3 input option hardware & doing the correct software changes - by dealer w/Tech II). When done properly, you will be able to play music from Infotainment system & the external GPS will interrupt with directions prompts. Search the forum to find threads that detail this.

As far as whether route recalculation can be selective turned on or off, that to me seems to defeat the purpose of the GPS. If I wanted to follow a strict route w/o adapting to road closures & other issues that won't allow following a pre-planned route, I would rely on maps & planning notes. GPS units' advantage is the dynamic flexibility they provide in helping us reach a destination, even when we turn onto unplanned roads. I have never considered a situation that I would want the GPS not to recalculate my route.

If you genuinely want info, actively search these forums. You will be rewarded will knowledge w/o anyone giving you crap. I gave you crap because your posts are all too typical of what we refer to as trolls. Trolls come on here with no real purpose other than to look for responses that end up getting users to argue with each other while they sit back & laugh at the chaos they create here at the expense of regular users genuinely interested in helping fellow riders.

If you are sincere in really wanting knowledge, I apologize. I hope this response provides the answer you were looking for.

Regarding my feeling on other brands, you may find, by reviewing my past posts, I am not one who hates everything except HD, only stuck up owners that have a closed mind that their brand is the only brand that is any good.

So, there it is.

Have a Great Day!

Dave, aka "Hammz"

Last edited by Hammz; 07-10-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 AM
frankenralf
6th Gear

...If you are sincere in really wanting knowledge, I apologize. I hope this response provides the answer you were looking for.... Have a Great Day!
...apologies accepted...thank you for the advice....have a great day as well.... most important now is not biking but the soccer champioship final on Sunday.

My dealer here also offered to include a Garmin 590LM without more cost into the infotainment system. My concern is that this would destroy the look... Can I find sample pictures here?

Cheers
Ralf

Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior

Hammz

frankenralf

Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by frankenralf
...apologies accepted...thank you for the advice....have a great day as well.... most important now is not biking but the soccer champioship final on Sunday.

My dealer here also offered to include a Garmin 590LM without more cost into the infotainment system. My concern is that this would destroy the look... Can I find sample pictures here?

Cheers
Ralf
You could run the 590LM as a stand alone with a handlebar gimbal mount. You'll need a mount that attaches to the 2 mounting bolts for the clutch or brake lever since there's no room for an actual handlebar clamp mount. The 590 can be used as Aux 3 input, but you lose the ability to listen to music with GPS interrupts; the GPS must be selected as the radio input & you will only hear GPS output audio.

Again, adding the Road Tech version will allow music w/GPS interrupts - a much more useful & versatile method of GPS interface.

I haven't done this, but a search should find a thread with a picture of this type installation. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 PM
NHVet
Stage I
Default Some observations

Ralf,

You are correct, only waypoints are imported and not the exact route. However, I have found that using the H-D Ride Planner, which you can access if you make the purchase and get your HOG membership, entering a sufficient number of waypoints (best to use actual ones from the app if possible), and then modifying the routing options while going along, you have a great deal of control. (If that app isn't usable in Europe, any routing software that produces a .gpx file is fine, like Garmin as you mentioned.).

Since the GPS software currently limits the waypoints/stops, you will have to break up larger trips or ones where you want finer control. I believe it is around 8 or 9.

For example, suppose you route a trip with 6 waypoints. First leg is autobahn to a town where you want back roads for WPs 2-5. You simply import the trip and start with the routing on fastest. It will guide you up the autobahn and into the town with stop1. Then, you change the routing to scenic. It will likely take you on nearly if not the exact roads you mapped. If not, use the map screen to adjust and the GPS will adjust as well. On imported trips it gives you waypoints grouped by two, so you will have to select 3&4 and so on. If you want to do some exploring, simply stop the nav. When ready to get back to your trip, go to recent or trips, select, go and adjust routing as desired. Being able to do all of this without taking your hands off the controls if desired is great. (By the way, the grouping is the Ride Planner output in the gpx file, others may be different. I plan to edit one and see if I can get them to show as one trip vs. groups.)

It would be nice if future upgrades allow for the exact planned route and more waypoints, but the current version is very capable.

I have found one nasty bug. Here in the US, if you enter a stop found in a turnpike plaza, it sends the unit into an error mode that disallows further imports and loses track of any stored trips. The same type of error scenario happens with too many waypoints in a file. It recovers after a lengthy power cycle or entering an address manually and routing followed by an ignition off. Hopefully these will be fixed soon.

It takes a while to get used to a different application, but I think you will find it will provide what you are looking for and given the other functions that are integrated, it is pretty impressive what they did for V1.0.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:02 PM
junior166745151
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems the only snob here is Hammz, the German guy was just asking some questions. All you did was make easy for the German guy and friends that HD riders are ********. I have encountered many foreigners on the road here in NY asking interest questions about my ride and I'm happy to answer them. All bikers should have good comradery, we all ride two-wheel vehicles.
2001 Sportster 1200C
2006 Sportster 1200C
2007 Road King Classic
2013 Ultra Limited

Old 02-04-2018, 08:03 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

I hope that you realize that this thread is 3 1/2 years old. I read many helpful posts by Hammz during that time.

The following 3 users liked this post by 14GuineaPig:
cycle7447 (02-05-2018), Hammz (02-04-2018), rwven (02-05-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 07:45 AM
txn.style
Stage I

This post may be over 3 years old, but the problem still sadly remains. It makes me sad that I am even considering pulling out my old Garmin Road Tech GPS and adding it to my bike when there is already a navigation system built in to it. Really wish we had the ability to turn off that Auto Recalculate - if someone has figured it out please let me know.

Quick Reply: disable route recalculation