Sponsored by:

disable route recalculation

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:42 PM
jmike
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txn.style
This post may be over 3 years old, but the problem still sadly remains. It makes me sad that I am even considering pulling out my old Garmin Road Tech GPS and adding it to my bike when there is already a navigation system built in to it. Really wish we had the ability to turn off that Auto Recalculate - if someone has figured it out please let me know.
Me too. Came here looking for an answer. Seems like they could set some kind of flag for imported trips that would keep recalc from happening unless I want it.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

There is a box on the bottom right of the infotainment screen with 3 horizontal lines, click on that and there is an option to skip the next waypoint. This is the best solution that I know of.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:35 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by josame
.... and there is an option to skip the next waypoint. .....

And if the 'skip waypoint' displays longitude and latitude, instead of the actual waypoint NAME .............. another option is to STOP the route, then restart it, which will allow you to see actual waypoints NAMES so that you can select the proper waypoint to resume to. (hope that made sense)

Old 11-20-2018, 10:12 AM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

It could be that I don't understand, but I think the solution to recalc is to add so many waypoints that your route must be followed. This is a PITA, but works.
Whenever I get lazy while building the route I always get a reminder while riding.

Disclaimer: "waypoints" is meant generically, could be "stops", "points", "locations", "whatevers".

Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Howler_LI
It could be that I don't understand, but I think the solution to recalc is to add so many waypoints that your route must be followed. This is a PITA, but works.
Whenever I get lazy while building the route I always get a reminder while riding.

Disclaimer: "waypoints" is meant generically, could be "stops", "points", "locations", "whatevers".
There's your winner folks.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:24 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I have two touring level bikes. Both have factory GPS (stripped down) versions of what Garmin sells under the Garmin name.

I use the factory GPS systems solely for what I call; "Get me to this single point!" They do fairly well at that.

For: routes, trips and almost any route that uses something involving multiple waypoints; I have and use a stand alone Garmin unit.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:11 PM
inestyne
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into 'routes' vs ''tracks' it's extremely helpful,
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...hq3prHjRlxdRw5

Also, check our mapmyroute as an alternative to HD Ride Planner, no required, but i'm working this angle and it appears promising.
https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab

I just purchase an glide ultra 2019 and the Boom GTS is just fine especially since the update (update your boom). As Howler_LI suggests and what i found on the new ones it use LOTS OF WAYPOINTS. On the boom they are referred to as VIAs. Learn how to manage these. How to reload the route from scratch and delete your way back the next waypoint you want to hit.

I'm still learning,

Old 05-29-2019, 08:00 AM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the reminder! I'm putting a ride together and realized I have to add more waypoints or I'll be on the superslab.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:37 AM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

I went across country with my 2018 Heritage equipped with a Garmin 595LM and used basecamp to setup all my routes. I really liked it and have no complaints. Now I have a 2019 Street Glide that I take on long trips with the GTS6.5 BOOM. I either don't know exactly what I'm doing or the Boom navigation system has many flaws.

I use the Ride Planner web based software on my PC to plan my route, then I use the H-D app on my phone to upload the route. Sometimes it only uploads part of the ride or it often does not upload the route as planned in Ride Planner. After you upload, you will get multiple routes that you can choose based on the start and end points. Then you sort of need to guess what route you want and its difficult to tell if you're selecting the correct route because if it a long route there is no way to see what roads you'd be taking. Then, lets say mid way you stop for gas. When you start your bike again I've had the Nav change the route on me. Totally annoying. And it's often not the best route. I really don't trust it. Maybe I need to create more waypoints like every 60 miles or something and number them 01,02,03 etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tricks? I know about avoiding interstates and other settings that can change a route. It would be nice though if I could be assured that the route I plan with Ride Planner is the exact route that Boom puts me on.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2020, 09:13 AM
MassGeezer
Intermediate
Received 86 Likes on 22 Posts

I use a usb stick for transfering the routes from PC to the bike. I have hit or miss results transfering the routes from my phone. Could be me.

Your seeing the multiple routes because of the "Alternate Routes Setting". From the navigation map screen,
Select Search (The magnifying glass in the left corner)
Select Settings (The gear Icon in the right corner)
Scroll down to Alternate Routes
Set to: OFF

Also more waypoints is always better!

There are numerous other setting as you mentioned that can give you undesirable routes but the one I pay attention to are: Route Preference (Fastest, Shortest, Twisty, Scenic)

Last edited by MassGeezer; 06-14-2020 at 09:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kenny55 (06-14-2020)

Quick Reply: disable route recalculation