disable route recalculation

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:24 AM
frankenralf
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disable route recalculation

Hallo all,
my name is Ralf, living in Germany, close to Würzburg or Bamberg. Currently I am driving a BMW K1600GTL with Garmin navigation. Travelling arround 8000 km per year together with my wife. Unfortunately she is not satisfied with the seat comfort. So we did a test ride on a E-Glide 2014 with boom box and integrated navigation.

At the end I was satisfied with the characteristic and seat position and she liked the "massage" of the Twin. There is only one point what I have to complain:

I found no way to tell the navigation not to recalculate a route imported from an USB stick when leaving the route.
I normally plan my routes in detail on my computer at home. Then import to the motorcycle device and just follow my planned route. Sometimes some routes are blocked. So I have to leave my route and use the map to get back after the deversion.

Without the above mentioned option the unit will recalculate and destroy my planning.

Is there any option or setting to disable the route calculation?

The dealer here could not answer that question.

If somebody founds typing errors you can keep them. Possible answers in easy understanding english please. I am no native english and /or american speaker

Cheers

Ralf

Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

The Nav will constantly want to re-route you back to any missed via points that were used to create the route. You can go into "where to go", select "trips" and select the next via point on your route and the Nav stop taking you backwards.

Or

You can select the turns at the bottom of the map screen and delete some of the planned/recalculated route that you have passed.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 AM
frankenralf
6th Gear

...understood that this is the standard setting. But other GARMIN models can do. The 660 on my BMW has the option and I think I am not the only preparing routes at home on the computer.

For me it is a clear nogo. I just thougt that I am may be too stupid to find this setting in the Boom box NAVI.

Cheers
Ralf

Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenralf
...understood that this is the standard setting. But other GARMIN models can do. The 660 on my BMW has the option and I think I am not the only preparing routes at home on the computer.

For me it is a clear nogo. I just thougt that I am may be too stupid to find this setting in the Boom box NAVI.

Cheers
Ralf
Another Troll! No plans to buy an H-D. Took a test ride & comes on HDF to bitch about the Infotainment system's GPS? Maybe he needs to go bitch at BMW because they don't have "built in GPS"? Sour grapes. Knows H-D is a better product, but needs us to justify to him why his BMW is "superior" product? BS!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:57 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

But other GARMIN models can do.
This isn't a Garmin unit.

I just thougt that I am may be too stupid....
Who am I to disagree?

Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 AM
frankenralf
6th Gear

Hi,

the german troll has a built in GPS. The BMW Navigator IV which is the same as the Garmin 660 but with different pin conaction. That one has the option I need for satisfied touring.
If you guys don't need it, ok. For me the option is a must and a nogo for Harley.

And by the way: Not the BMW nor the Harley is better bike. They are just different. 6 cyclinders to 2 cylinders; 160 HP to 87 HP; 210 km/h max speed to ...don't know. This is not important.
I just liked to ride the Harley a whole day and I like also riding the BMW. I am only too fast for my age and looking for something more comfortable because I don't drive 180 km/h really often on the german Autobahn.

And sorry, I did not know that HD riders are so arrogant (Hammz and SafetyMan).

Did last weekend a 1.000km tour to the czech Republik. Don't having this important option on the Navigation I would have lost a perfect route on sometimes single track roads because at least 7 times the choosen road was blocked and I had leave my route. Just my opinion that it is important option and try to get information if it is available.

Ralf

Last edited by frankenralf; 07-09-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

The HD nav is more of a prototype mess than a functioning unit at this point. I suspect it may be another year before they get it working properly.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Hi,

the german troll has a built in GPS. The BMW Navigator IV which is the same as the Garmin 660 but with different pin conaction. That one has the option I need for satisfied touring.
If you guys don't need it, ok. For me the option is a must and a nogo for Harley.

And by the way: Not the BMW nor the Harley is better bike. They are just different. 6 cyclinders to 2 cylinders; 160 HP to 87 HP; 210 km/h max speed to ...don't know. This is not important.
I just liked to ride the Harley a whole day and I like also riding the BMW. I am only too fast for my age and looking for something more comfortable because I don't drive 180 km/h really often on the german Autobahn.

And sorry, I did not know that HD riders are so arrogant (Hammz and SafetyMan).

Did last weekend a 1.000km tour to the czech Republik. Don't having this important option on the Navigation I would have lost a perfect route on sometimes single track roads because at least 7 times the choosen road was blocked and I had leave my route. Just my opinion that it is important option and try to get information if it is available.

Ralf
You're a typical BMW snob. We have them over here too.

Sorry, but your GPS is an add-on, not a built in. H-D had/has GPS add ons too. They work about the same as yours' since they're based on the same Garmin unit as yours.

Your further pissing about route rerouting doesn't impress me. My built in NAV does route rerouting too, despite what you may think. Most of us on 2 wheels can get around our country just fine w/o GPS. And we got a whole lot more real estate that we could (but don't) get lost in over here. How a built-in GPS functions has not been a deal-breaker for any of us that are riding '14s.

Again, stand by my previous post. Go back to your BMW forum.

Last edited by Hammz; 07-09-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:34 AM
dr2152
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about the rude responses. The Harley GPS is not that user friendly but it is the first year for this unit. Hopefully Harley will update the program to make it easier to use.

The following users liked this post:
kcblaze (02-04-2018)
Old 07-09-2014, 06:01 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn Hammz try some decaf...if you actually read his post he wasn't really bitching but just asking a question. Take a few deep breaths...

Last edited by 2011FXDC; 07-09-2014 at 06:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kcblaze (02-04-2018)

Quick Reply: disable route recalculation