Sponsored by:

Sirius/XM-Don't waste your time or money

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Sirius/XM-Don't waste your time or money

As many others have posted I've had the friggin XM Sat Radio drops happening since day one. I've taken the antenna out of the fairing, mounted it to many different places (front and back of bike), even installed what Sirius says is an improved antenna for XM reception on my Limited's windshield with a suction cup mount and still have drops. I've also done the updates to the Boom system just to make sure it wasn't that.

So, final determination, XM sucks!!! Some of you keep saying that you don't get the drop outs. I've figured out why. It's because you don't have any trees where you live. If every place you ride has clear sky, then sure, it doesn't drop. But if you live in an area with lots of trees, like I have in New England, then you're screwed. Anytime you get near any tree canopy the system just craps out.

So screw that. Dropped my subscription to XM for the bike, installed a chrome Claw for my iPhone and I listen to un-interupted music. Just like it's supposed to be. Did a 6 hour ride last weekend and was surprised by how little bandwidth I used up streaming music. Not bad at all.

So the moral of the story is, don't waste your money on the XM module. Just bluetooth your phone to the system and stream XM that way. It's $4 a month for that with your XM subscription and whatever your data plan is.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I agree with you. I had XM on my 2011 CVO bike and frequently lost the signal anywhere there were tree lined roads. I wouldn't waste my money on it again.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to be a clown, but you do know there are two antennas in there. One for the GPS and the other for XM.. I moved both out and it helped.. Not great but far better.. You being from Ma. We did a ride from Framingham to N Conway via Rt. 16 and then out Rt 302 to 113 to 295 into Booth Bay for lobster..477 miles and only lost XM about 20 times and it came right back..

Old 07-15-2014, 12:33 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I love my XM.

I've had it for 12 years? I think...

When I lived in Michigan, in the real North Woods, not much of a problem, when I lived in Appalachia, there were drop zones due to the mountains. **** happens, pull up your big girl pants and ride on.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:33 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I love my XM.

I've had it for 12 years? I think...

When I lived in Michigan, in the real North Woods, not much of a problem, when I lived in Appalachia, there were drop zones due to the mountains. **** happens, pull up your big girl pants and ride on.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
pull up your big girl pants and ride on.
Wow, big girl pants in a double post. Must have your panties in a twist today to post the same thing twice.

Just trying to save anyone buying a new bike some money. Don't waste it on the XM Module. Not worth the expense and time trying to figure out the best place to put the antenna.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Dave Thorpe
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

XM is worth every penny to me.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:39 PM
sullyj020
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrivr1
Wow, big girl pants in a double post. Must have your panties in a twist today to post the same thing twice.

Just trying to save anyone buying a new bike some money. Don't waste it on the XM Module. Not worth the expense and time trying to figure out the best place to put the antenna.

Bet it works just fine in Florida

Old 07-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the Zumo 665 with XM on my last bike; the unit was handlebar mounted & the audio was routed through the AUX input in the factory stereo/communication system (this was a 2002 Yamaha Venture).

I did the install myself, & mounted the XM antenna inside the fairing. It was positioned in such a way that it was maybe at a 10 or 20 degree angle downward from being flat. Riding back home into SW Pa, I would loose the signal every once & a while for a few seconds, then it would come back. Riding a loop across the USA, it worked very well for 90% or more of the time.

To be honest, we have it in the 2012 GMC Terrain my wife usually drives. It drops less than my Zumo 665 did - but it still drops some, & that is with a roof mounted antenna pointing to the sky.

I bought the XM module when I purchased my bike; I'll have it installed at the 1k service so we'll see. But I fully expect, now & again, to loose the signal. I think it is the nature of the current technology.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:05 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrivr1

Not worth the money to YOU!!!

I love it! Yes it does drop in some areas, that is not unique to the bike, my car does the same thing. I simply love the classic vynal channel. I set it and forget it. Works better than the XM on my last bike, a 07 CVO.

To each their own...I am a supporter.

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM-Don't waste your time or money