Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio booting every time you start up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Radio booting every time you start up?

I've heard several complain about the infotainment system booting up every time they start their bike, even if they have turned it off before shutting down the bike. I've had this problem too. I stumbled on to something that seems to be working. Before you turn off the infotainment system use the volume control and turn down the volume until it shows the mute symbol, now that the system is muted with the volume control, shut down the infotainment system. Since I did this I have started my bike 8 times and the infotainment system has not booted up. Of course it will boot up using the power button and it will still be muted, just use the volume control to raise the volume.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm confused here, shouldn't the radio boot up every time you start the bike.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

I would also think you would want it to boot, just like a car. If you don't want it to come on, just push the power button when the thing starts up.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

There are other features that I use, NAV, phone book, temp gauge..so I always want the info to boot up.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 502 Likes on 246 Posts

I found that annoying as well. I don't listen to the radio very often nor use the navigation often. I'll try that method with the mute. I've tried other experiments with using the kill switch or the ignition with the radio off but it comes back on again when you start the bike. It should not do that, no other radio I've ever had comes on automatically when it's been powered down.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by dontdropit
I've heard several complain about the infotainment system booting up every time they start their bike, even if they have turned it off before shutting down the bike. I've had this problem too. I stumbled on to something that seems to be working. Before you turn off the infotainment system use the volume control and turn down the volume until it shows the mute symbol, now that the system is muted with the volume control, shut down the infotainment system. Since I did this I have started my bike 8 times and the infotainment system has not booted up. Of course it will boot up using the power button and it will still be muted, just use the volume control to raise the volume.

I hope this works, because i am old school, and from my 45 years in aviation, your Avionics/Radios aren't booted up/turned on until the engine is up and running. You want all the battery juice going for one thing, starting the engine (s). Then on shut down you turn off aux electrical switches which includes the radios and then shut the engine(s) down, sometimes, situations or SOP, you might leave one radio on in-case you have an emergency during shut down, like an engine fire.

I definitely don't want the radio booting during my starting, only after when i finish the start and am ready for the FM (which i am normally not interested in to come on.)

The starting procedure on a lot of different equipment is one of the more complex times, more systems employed, radios/lights sap some power and they are not needed during starting, in fact a distraction. Night operations with Aircraft does normally require some lighting to be on.
'

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 07-16-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:24 AM
prattp
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an issue that it sometimes takes a long time (1 to 2 minutes) to boot up to the ACCEPT button screen, and other times it come right up. Have not been able to figure that one out yet.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:37 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts

Another thing that I am doing is when I turn on the ignition I wait for the clock to display. It only takes a few seconds. I then start the bike. Then upon starting the accept display comes up, do not hit the accept button, if you do it will boot up. The accept message will go away in a few seconds and the clock display will resume.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
I'm confused here, shouldn't the radio boot up every time you start the bike.
I believe he is saying that when he turns the radio off & then starts the bike again the radio is coming on without him turning the power to it back on. Happens to me at times.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I see what your saying. I leave it on and normally just flip the switches and start the bike as soon as the engine light goes out.

Quick Reply: Radio booting every time you start up?