2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There A Way To Change The Gauge Lighting on the FLHX (Pics Included)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is There A Way To Change The Gauge Lighting on the FLHX (Pics Included)?

I have a 2014 FLHX. I do not like the Orange/Amber color behind my gauges. I absolutely LOVE the WHITE Color behind the Limited. I asked my dealer if there was a way for me to make the change and the guy I asked didn't seem to have a clue. Has anyone else experimented with this or have any suggestions? Even if I have to buy all new gauges for my Street Glide. I've included a photo of both the limited and the street glide so you will see what I am talking about. Thanks for any input!

Is There A Way To Change The Gauge Lighting on the FLHX (Pics Included)?-dash-1.jpg

Is There A Way To Change The Gauge Lighting on the FLHX (Pics Included)?-dash-2.jpg

Old 07-16-2014, 12:38 PM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used these guys before, they have lifetime warranty...

http://www.bluegauges.com/prod_backlighting.htm#harley

Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you talking about switching over to the dark face gauges, or changing the lights in your current gauges?

If you're talking about changing over to the dark face gauges, you'd just have to replace your gauge cluster. I was talking to my dealer about switching my Limited to the white faced gauges. It's been too long, but if I remember it was about $600. I ended up preferring the darker face for longer rides that went into the night, so I didn't make the switch.

If you buy the gauges new from your dealer it should be plug-and-play. Buying used may be harder. I've heard something about the speedo only being able to pair with a single computer module. Something about the odometer readings... I'd look into that before I went used.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Hozzie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, the amber color leaves something to be desired. I also really like the back background of the Ultra gauges. I have thought about swapping mine out as well, but it just seems like a bit more work and expense that I want to bother with.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master

Originally Posted by rs87277
I have used these guys before, they have lifetime warranty...

http://www.bluegauges.com/prod_backlighting.htm#harley
Thanks....I will check them out!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master

Originally Posted by dpmerrill
Are you talking about switching over to the dark face gauges, or changing the lights in your current gauges?

If you're talking about changing over to the dark face gauges, you'd just have to replace your gauge cluster. I was talking to my dealer about switching my Limited to the white faced gauges. It's been too long, but if I remember it was about $600. I ended up preferring the darker face for longer rides that went into the night, so I didn't make the switch.

If you buy the gauges new from your dealer it should be plug-and-play. Buying used may be harder. I've heard something about the speedo only being able to pair with a single computer module. Something about the odometer readings... I'd look into that before I went used.
I would change to the darker gauges if I have to and "if" they are available for the Street Glide. Here's the catch. On the Street Glides the gauges are white so putting a "white bulb" in replace of the orange one (if thats even possible) might not work. The Limited's have the dark face gauges so the white lights look great with it. The dealer did look in the 2014 catalogue and there are some darker/silver gauges but the lights that come with it are the orange. He said it's all internal as well so I wouldn't be able to switch it.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hozzie
I agree, the amber color leaves something to be desired. I also really like the back background of the Ultra gauges. I have thought about swapping mine out as well, but it just seems like a bit more work and expense that I want to bother with.
Did you happen to find a way to do it? The guy in my service department at my dealership is new and he didn't seem to really know much.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:15 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGetter5832
I have a 2014 FLHX. I do not like the Orange/Amber color behind my gauges. I absolutely LOVE the WHITE Color behind the Limited. I asked my dealer if there was a way for me to make the change and the guy I asked didn't seem to have a clue. Has anyone else experimented with this or have any suggestions? Even if I have to buy all new gauges for my Street Glide. I've included a photo of both the limited and the street glide so you will see what I am talking about. Thanks for any input!

Attachment 390001

Attachment 390002
Do a search here. There were a couple of guys who wanted to swap gauges between a Limited and a SG. I didn't follow it how it worked out but there were some issues with the gauges being "married" to the ECM/BCM's.

You certainly can buy a set of new Limited gauges.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Kilokato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just happy the radio light and the gauge lights finally match....They never did on my 2010 SG.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be a nice factory addition to the infotainment system. It would be cool to have options to match the bike's color or the rider's taste. They have options for the Dyna, and probably others as well.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...10-70900171--1

Quick Reply: Is There A Way To Change The Gauge Lighting on the FLHX (Pics Included)?