Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junk Speakers on CVO Boom AVC Infotainment New Speakers on Back Order July 2014

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Junk Speakers on 40K CVO Boom AVC Infotainment Speakers on Back Order July 2014

Here is the bottem line make them put after market speakers of your choice in the bike before you buy it so they will be under warranty . ... ...Harley knows the speakers are junk... They are not telling the Service Managers but they know... Every single one them is gonna blow.... They have pulled all the speakers off the shelf and the new ones are on back order.... The new speakers have the same part number... When the speaker blows you will lose some frequencies but it seems to still be working... When a speaker blows the software pulls power from the good speakers and tries to push the blown one to make it work... So if you have a blown speaker when you turn the volume up it will actually go down... This also affects the avc or automatic volume control... When I got my blown speaker replaced the AVC started working right... but it didn't last long and I had another blown speaker... The new replacement speaker is just now being manufactured and delivered so your dealer will tell you it's on backorder... My first trip in the dealer told me there was nothing wrong with it... When I took it to one on the north side for the breakline recall they checked it and told me it was blown but a replacement would not be available for six weeks... I went back to the dealer where I bought the bike an told em what the dealer on the north loop said... I was going on a Cross Country Trip so they unkitted a pair of speakers and replaced the two back ones... For about two days they sounded ok and the avc worked... Then another blown speaker and the whole system sounded like crap.... I had to deal with on my four thousand mile round trip from Houston to the Dragon and surrounding parts... Awesome Trip... Thanks Harley for putting a damper on it by rounding up the lowest bidder to make the speakers for YOUR so called CVO??? WTF Mr. Harley! Make it right! The 2014 CVO 6.5 Boom Radio has a DSP (digital sound processor) built in that optimizes the sound output to the (stock) speakers. This DSP is internal and non adjustable. What it does is adjust the equalization and power output to the speakers as you increase the volume. Which is why as you crank it up higher and higher, you actually start loosing volume to clarity. Thus as you approach max volume the DSP tells the radio to push more power to the speakers to fight distortion as opposed to increasing the volume. So when one of the speakers blows the DSP tries to correct the problem and pulls the whole system down... at this time there is no solution... Every month they change the back order delivery date to the end of the current month... So we don't get too upset and they keep stringing us along... Some folks warranty will run out before they get this problem rectified... That's the goal...

The internal DSP greatly reduces your ability to just change out speakers to something from the aftermarket. So... It's a problem that can not be simply fixed by going and buy some speakers off the shelf somewhere and plugging them in... The DSP is precisely tuned to the HD BOOM speakers and the enclosure their in.... I bought two bikes from the same dealer this year... You would think they would go a little further to make it right... Oh but no...

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 09-19-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:23 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me they did everything they could with what they had available to help you

Old 08-01-2014, 05:47 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Let me get a tissue for you.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Holy ****, how loud are your tunes??? I have a complete boom system in the fairing and tour Pak and I can't stand it past half volume at 80MPH. Anything more and it sounds like the WHO are having a concert inside my skull.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:44 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SOCALHD
Sounds to me they did everything they could with what they had available to help you
They did go over and beyond to help me as the speakers they unkitted were not the cvo speakers. So when I go back after they get the new and hopefully improved ones in I can get the right ones... But they got me off on my trip at least with some tunes... I reverted to the headset after another speaker blew... But my rant is that they have a problem and there is no memo to the dealers etc... They are just quietly pulling the old speaker off the shelf and replacing it with a new one without telling anybody... These threads are riffled with posts on the AVC not working correctly etc... and or the volume control in general... In my travels I stopped at several dealers to check the availability of the new speaker.... Some knew about this problem and others did not... There is NO memo or Service Bulletin on it...

Old 08-04-2014, 01:47 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Harley does this all the time with non-critical, out of spec parts. Install now...replace later.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a lot of blown speakers. Will keep my eye (ears) on this as I have the 6.5 upgraded Boom speakers in all 4 pods on the Limited. No amp though so I'm guessing I will be alright. So far no problems and they sound a lot better than the stock 5.25's.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:36 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain

it's official... Memo just came out to Dealers... Mine said solution is on backorder... sucks to be you ... now git yer 40k CVO OUT my service bay n quit crying

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 08-07-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:12 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Default CVO 6.5 Audio Boom Radio Bust Rushmore??? Ya Right

The 2014 CVO 6.5 Boom Radio has a DSP (digital sound processor) built in that optimizes the sound output to the (stock) speakers. This DSP is internal and non adjustable. What it does is adjust the equalization and power output to the speakers as you increase the volume. Which is why as you crank it up higher and higher, you actually start loosing volume to clarity. Thus as you approach max volume the DSP tells the radio to push more power to the speakers to fight distortion as opposed to increasing the volume. So when one of the speakers blows the DSP tries to correct the problem and pulls the whole system down... at this time there is no solution... Every month they change the back order delivery date to the end of the current month... So we don't get too upset and they keep stringing us along... Some folks warranty will run out before they get this problem rectified... That's the goal...

The internal DSP greatly reduces your ability to just change out speakers to something from the aftermarket. So... It's a problem that can not be simply fixed by going and buy some speakers off the shelf somewhere and plugging them in... The DSP is precisely tuned to the HD BOOM speakers and the enclosure their in.... I bought two bikes from the same dealer this year... You would think they would go a little further to make it right... Oh but no...

Old 08-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I don't understand why anyone would need to replace the stock speakers to begin with. I have a SG with just two faring speakers and at 90mph I might turn it up to one or two marks past half way and it's plenty loud to hear clearly. And if you have a Ultra you get two more speakers in the back. For those that replace the speakers on the 14's and add additional amps what is the goal? I admit I'm not an audiophile and don't replace the stock radio in my car either so maybe I'm missing something. I have thought about adding the bag lids with speakers just to give the bike a fuller sound but it would not be due to the lack of sound from the stock system.

Quick Reply: Junk Speakers on CVO Boom AVC Infotainment New Speakers on Back Order July 2014