Sponsored by:

14 FLHTK Break Squeak/squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:40 AM
JDKJAG
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 FLHTK Break Squeak/squeal

Have had a squeak/squeal since about the beginning when braking at slow speed. 1 K and 5 K done and the service guys say it is just brake dust. They say nothing to do, just have to live with it. Anyone else have this issue? Any fix. Just really irritating when coming to a stop and that "nails on chalkboard" sound comes up.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:58 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Same problem, started about 5,000 miles, when I clean the bike I pull the caliper inspection plates and clean the pads and rotors with brake clean. Works good for a while, be sure not to leave any fluid or dust on wheels. The new linked braking works very well, but is a little tougher on pads. Ride safe

Old 08-02-2014, 05:55 AM
smokingpig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem here too... mine started around 2,500 miles... only slow speed stops... it is annoying... going to try to find some better pads and install this winter...

Old 08-02-2014, 06:01 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Yep, mine started recently, about 3K miles. My Vette came with semi-metallic pads, used to squeal like crazy. I replaced them with Ceramic Akebono pads and all is well. Eventually I'll do the same with the bike.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:10 AM
Frankie G
Advanced

Started having the same problem at around 1500 miles or so. +1 on pulling the cheese grater looking inspection covers and cleaning. I used used the attachment for my compressor and blew the calipers out real well from aiming at the top and bottom. When the bike gets washed I make sure I spray some bike brite in there and hose it off well. The past couple thousand miles have been quiet.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Crusader45
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem at 5000 miles. My dealer show me a Brake Noise Notice from HD basically saying that this is "normal" and not a warranty item. The dealer did however do something to the rear brake and that seemed to help.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 AM
harleyjth
Tourer

My rear brakes are noisy as well since about 3000 mi or so. Thankfully, the front isn't too bad. On the rear if they don't squeal, they are honking like a goose as I come to a stop. I believe that may be caused be rotor runout, although when I checked the runout, it only measured about 0.006". That seems like a lot to me, but the spec according to the FSM is 0.008". So.... dunno. I'm going to take it in one of these days for the brake line recall and leave it and let them check it. I understand the squeal, and although I don't like it, its just the nature of the beast. But this damn honking is driving me nuts.
jt

Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Frankie G
Advanced

Originally Posted by harleyjth
My rear brakes are noisy as well since about 3000 mi or so. Thankfully, the front isn't too bad. On the rear if they don't squeal, they are honking like a goose as I come to a stop. I believe that may be caused be rotor runout, although when I checked the runout, it only measured about 0.006". That seems like a lot to me, but the spec according to the FSM is 0.008". So.... dunno. I'm going to take it in one of these days for the brake line recall and leave it and let them check it. I understand the squeal, and although I don't like it, its just the nature of the beast. But this damn honking is driving me nuts.
jt
That honking noise can usually be attributed to vibration in the pads.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyjth
My rear brakes are noisy as well since about 3000 mi or so. Thankfully, the front isn't too bad. On the rear if they don't squeal, they are honking like a goose as I come to a stop. ......................... But this damn honking is driving me nuts.
Here's no help probably as I have an 04. But honking like a goose describes my fronts. Embarrassing as all hell. I had my dealer all set up to replace pads and rotors for almost $500, and instead the tech just swapped sides on the rotors. $90 later only and no noise any more. Go figure..............maybe your back rotor can be reversed. As explained to me the "grain" of the rotors were smoothed out in the one direction, reversing it made it more abrasive now against the grain and eliminates the squeal. So the saw blade design of the rotor now goes the other way, who cares, and since the picture below I have chrome rotor covers any way

Last edited by Markymannn; 08-03-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: ..........
Old 08-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Duffyone
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

no problem on the new bike, but my '10 FLHR rear brakes started after about 3k miles. replaced pads (EBC) problem solved. the pads I took off were not bad, just glazed over.

Quick Reply: 14 FLHTK Break Squeak/squeal