Sponsored by:

New Fairing Speakers, Saddlebag Lid Speakers and Amp Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 05:13 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default New Fairing Speakers, Saddlebag Lid Speakers and Amp Install Questions

Hello, I will be installing new J&M Rokker XX 6.65 fairing speakers, J&M's 500watt 4 channel amp and a set of Harley saddlebag lid speakers on a 14 Street Glide Special. I am doing this for a friend. I have installed similar setups on multiple older bikes but never a Rushmore. Just curious if there is anything different compared to installs on older bikes or anything I should watch out for?

Thanks, I will be taking lots of pics and make a video of before and after.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:36 PM
rcharles
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your adding additional speakers, you may have to get the dealer to do the re-flash to activate the fader.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:10 PM
StellaBlue14
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am in the middle of the same install. there are a few things you will need to know. make sure your friend knows if he plans to EVER add more speakers like in the lowers.. if he does you must get the proper wire kit. the street glide kit that john @ J&M has uses your front signal and splits it to front and rear inputs for the amp. using this setup you will not need to reflash the radio because the bikes actual rear speaker signal isn't being used.. J&M has a different wire kit (i think for an ultra) that will use the rear signal.. this wire kit will require a reflash so the rear fade will work. if he plans to add speakers to the lowers i would recommend the ultra style wire kit so the rear speakers will fade like they should. and the lowers and upper fairing speakers can run parallel. (J&M has a wire harness for that too)
now when ordering the speaker lids from Harley, you should know that you also need to order the grills.. also ask your dealer for the proper screws for the speaker AND grill, you are supposed to reuse the original screws on the J&M install.. because on the street glide we don't have rear speakers to start don't forget you need wiring for the rear speakers. they only accept a boom style connection to the speaker. J&M has wiring available..
J&M are expensive but in the past they have been a great system for me.. i havent finished my install because i haven;t decided if i want to re-use my last 500watt amp from J&M and buy the new wire harness or sell my old amp and harness and start fresh with a whole kit.

Last edited by StellaBlue14; 08-17-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Duffyone
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Heard here somewhere that you can have the dealer flash $$$, or purchase the Magic Box.

http://www.cyclesounds.com/line-leve...rley-2014.html

Description of product on their website tells why you need it.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:18 PM
StellaBlue14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Duffyone
Heard here somewhere that you can have the dealer flash $$$, or purchase the Magic Box.

http://www.cyclesounds.com/line-leve...rley-2014.html

Description of product on their website tells why you need it.
this magic box will work for the other aftermarket amps, but if you are using J&M dont waste your $$.. john has everything you need plug and play...

if you choose a different amp setup magic box is a great component.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info! He called J&M, explained the bike he has and what components would be installed. I hope J&M included everything he would need. He ordered the top of the line amp and speakers so I have my fingers crossed. He lives a good distance away and I want to get it done in one afternoon.

Thanks again for the info!

Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 PM
StellaBlue14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lhgdale
He lives a good distance away and I want to get it done in one afternoon.

Thanks again for the info!
The hardest thing I have had to do on the '14 was break free the bolts for the speaker pod in the fairing.. Make sure you read up on how to find them and the best tool for removal.. You pretty much need a swivel end and extender. There are some great pics on a different audio thread.. Everything else is plug and play from j&m. The rest of the install is tank removal and wire stuffing.. It can be fun or tedious depending on your company..you should be able to complete this in an afternoon. I built my system for my '09 over a few installs but ran all the wires for future installs when I did the amp.. Good luck post us some pics

Last edited by StellaBlue14; 08-18-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:36 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by StellaBlue14

The hardest thing I have had to do on the '14 was break free the bolts for the speaker pod in the fairing.. Make sure you read up on how to find them and the best tool for removal.. You pretty much need a swivel end and extender. There are some great pics on a different audio thread.. Everything else is plug and play from j&m. The rest of the install is tank removal and wire stuffing.. It can be fun or tedious depending on your company..you should be able to complete this in an afternoon. I built my system for my '09 over a few installs but ran all the wires for future installs when I did the amp.. Good luck post us some pics
Thanks for the heads up. I will do some searching on the pod bolt removal. Do you know what size bolts they are and type? Torx, allen or hex?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

I searched for the pics / thread on the speaker pod bolts but couldn't find any info.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:19 PM
StellaBlue14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lhgdale
I searched for the pics / thread on the speaker pod bolts but couldn't find any info.
ill try to find it tonight

Quick Reply: New Fairing Speakers, Saddlebag Lid Speakers and Amp Install Questions