2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new FLHTK peeing all over the floor!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My new FLHTK peeing all over the floor!

Hey guys - been a while! So I bought a '14 FLHTK yesterday and when I pulled it into my garage after a 5 mile ride home from the dealer, the radiator overflow tank took a leak and left about a cup of coolant on the floor. Odd. I topped off the reservoir to the proper line and didn't think much about it.

Today I took a 50 mile ride in some pretty hot weather, bike performed marvelously, of course, but when I pulled into the garage and shut the bike down, the fans ran for about a half minute or so and then once again the bike dropped about a cup of coolant on the garage floor.

Since the dealer is just a few miles away, I thought I'd ride it down and have them take a look. The service manager hasn't seen this behavior before, but he drained and flushed the coolant system, and then refilled to spec.

Once again, I pulled into the garage and shut the bike down, and it did the same thing - about a half cup of coolant on the floor.

The bike is running fine, with no signs of overheating, but this can't be "normal". Any ideas from the experts?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Some of the 2014's did this, they replaced thermostats, FIller necks, and caps. I personall hae not experienced the coolant barfing issue. But your dealer should have access to information on this issue.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's happened to tons of '14's including mine. Have the dealer check to see if the filler neck has been replaced with the new one. I forget what program it was called, but that fixed mine. They replace the filler neck with one that doesn't expand as much when heated up thereby not allowing air to get into the system. Anyway, somehow air is getting into the system.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

From what you are describing the filler neck product recall has not been done. Could be the wrong cap. Dealer should have the info if not all of it is on this site.

You can check on HD web site put in your VIN # and it will list any recalls that are not done.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:00 PM
East Coast
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bunch of guys over on the CVO fourm had mentioned this exact occurrence last year after purchasing a wet head. I believe HD released a fix for this last year. Go back to the dealer and have them do some research, they dropped the ball on this one.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a well known and much discussed topic. I'm not knocking on you; if you didn't know, you didn't know. For the service manager to say he's never heard of this borders on the unbelievable unless he's been on vacation for the past 18 months. Also strange that the work wasn't already completed on your bike. Bought mine a few months back and it had been done at the factory. Maybe your bike is one of the early builds that never sold. Anyway as has been stated it's an easy fix under warranty.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:30 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Your dealer should call Harley tech support. I also went down this road, they fixed my bike last Dec. No issues since. Trust me, every dealer has seen this issue. The good news is the problem is not a design issue, it's a bad part or tech issue.

Once this is fixed, you will love the bike.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

I am pretty sure my filler neck is the updated one. Anyone have a picture of the updated part?

Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Hey guys - been a while! So I bought a '14 FLHTK yesterday and when I pulled it into my garage after a 5 mile ride home from the dealer, the radiator overflow tank took a leak and left about a cup of coolant on the floor. Odd. I topped off the reservoir to the proper line and didn't think much about it.

Today I took a 50 mile ride in some pretty hot weather, bike performed marvelously, of course, but when I pulled into the garage and shut the bike down, the fans ran for about a half minute or so and then once again the bike dropped about a cup of coolant on the garage floor.

Since the dealer is just a few miles away, I thought I'd ride it down and have them take a look. The service manager hasn't seen this behavior before, but he drained and flushed the coolant system, and then refilled to spec.

Once again, I pulled into the garage and shut the bike down, and it did the same thing - about a half cup of coolant on the floor.

The bike is running fine, with no signs of overheating, but this can't be "normal". Any ideas from the experts?
You will continue to have issues until your dealer gets all the air out of your cooling system. Take it back & make sure they talk w/HD tech to understand the proper technique to remove the entrained air from your cooling system.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:39 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

My question is did the dealer's service check to see if the recall had been done by VIN? Another way to look at this if you run out of fluid at least you'll be air cooled again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new FLHTK peeing all over the floor!