Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Road Glide screen glare

Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Scales
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Road Glide screen glare

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2015 Road Glide Special. I am also looking at the Street Glide but after test riding both I am heavily leaning towards the RG. My only problem with it is that because the Boom! infotainment system is mounted towards the top of the fairing the glare from the sun makes it hard (if not impossible) to read the screen. Harley probably should have mounted the gauges where the screen is and vice-versa. At any rate, does anyone have any easy fix for this? The model is probably too new for any aftermarket fixes like a hood or something but if you know of some fix, even temporary, let please let me know.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Matt_laidlaw
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can adjust the screen brightness dramatically to fix most glare issues. There is also an "automatic" setting which enables the screen to adjust according to the light/sun hitting it. I ride a FLHXS and this solves all glare issues. I haven't, however, played with this on the FLTRXS.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM
TVH475
Tourer

Pretty much if the sun is behind me the screen I worthless! I actually wish I would have bought a standard instead of a special!LOL

Old 09-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Yup, I can tell you that with the sun at my back I can't see a damn thing on that screen. I haven't had a chance to mess with settings yet but I can't see it helping that much if at all. All good though, I bet someone comes out with a visor of some kind or some sort of reflective screen before too long, I'm not too worried.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 AM
upmaniac
Novice

Was at the Bike, Blues and Bar-B-Que this past weekend and rode the CVO version of the Road Glide. It was virtually impossible to see the Infotainment display while on a 30 minute ride. When I got back, I was lucky enough to run into one of the engineers for this project and he said they were working very hard on a redesign, and anticipated it would be implemented (including a fix for existing models) within 60 days.
I have a 2014 CVO Limited and have no issues with glare, so this was really a disappointment. I tried every adjustment possible, but nothing alleviated the disappointing display view.
That being said, the bike was an absolute joy to ride. The newly designed fairing really blocked the wind / turbulence much better than my first experience with a Road Glide 6 years ago. They get that issue fixed and I just might have to trade my CVO Limited for one.....

Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 AM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2015 RG standard screen, with the sun hitting directly on it, is like the screen is turned off. You can't even see a faint trace of anything.
Good thing none of the important gauges are using this screen.
These radio screens are to distracting anyway.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Rooster37
Road Master

I wonder if any of those screen protectors that reduce would work on it. I know they make ones that cut to size. I may give that a try. Has anyone tried this yet?

Old 10-01-2014, 02:09 PM
09FLHXrLVNV
Cruiser
Default Glare on 6.5 Boom for Road Glide Special

Im glad im not the only one who has noticed this HUGE problem when sun is behind us.

Im sure there will be an aftermarket to cure our problems...or just ride off into the sunset!!

Old 10-01-2014, 03:16 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

Why do you need the sceen if you can control it hands free? Assuming that you know how to operate the infotainment system.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:06 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I did a demo ride on a RG special I noticed the screen was not viewable most of the ride because of the washout from the sun despite having the brightness adjusted. I also noticed that with the angle of the screen I got a lot of reflection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Road Glide screen glare