Northeast Tri-State Area NJ, NY, and Ct

Stage 1 Tune Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 07:51 PM
mstrlucky74
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stage 1 Tune Wanted

Hello all. 17' Sportster 48. Would like to get stage 1 done at some point but really don't want to go to Harley dealer. Can anyone recommend good mechanic with experience doing these and preferably close or on Long Island. Thanks a lot.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:51 PM
Frank3101
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't mean any offense, but I think you ought to ride it like it is for now. Isn't it Winter there? If you do a little studying, by Spring you can do it yourself. Did mine in about three hours.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:55 PM
mstrlucky74
Tourer

Originally Posted by Frank3101
I don't mean any offense, but I think you ought to ride it like it is for now. Isn't it Winter there? If you do a little studying, by Spring you can do it yourself. Did mine in about three hours.
Np. I wasn't going to do it until March/April. So it's a DIY project? Thought there was some very technical adjustments involved. BTW bike already has slip on V&H pipes. Thanks

Old 10-26-2018, 07:10 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

so to go stage 1 you need three things:
Pipes, air cleaner, and tune.
You said you have the pipes, so all you need is a better air cleaner which is like 10-15 minutes and a hundred bucks for a decent one. Hammer Performance has one of the better ones, K+N has one, DK has some great stuff, http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/air-...intake-c10.htm
I think what you're asking for is a shop to install the AC, and then apply a tune.
You can get your bike tuned, by a shop, by running it on a dyno and having them adjust the Air/fuel ratio for your bike, usually runs about $500 and is a one time service. You cannot DIY. but once its done, if you change anything, its basically worthless.
Or they can sell you a mini computer that connects to your bikes computer and adjusts the AFR, that you can apply pre-canned tunes for.
PowerVision, Powercommander, FuelPak, ect, are available independently, take 5 minutes to plug into the bike and load a 'stage one'.
since you have the V+H, the fuel pak might be the way to go, inexpensive, has tunes for your pipes, just grab a V+H intake and the fuel pak and get wrenching.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:17 AM
mstrlucky74
Tourer

Originally Posted by slvrscoobie
so to go stage 1 you need three things:
Pipes, air cleaner, and tune.
You said you have the pipes, so all you need is a better air cleaner which is like 10-15 minutes and a hundred bucks for a decent one. Hammer Performance has one of the better ones, K+N has one, DK has some great stuff, http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/air-...intake-c10.htm
I think what you're asking for is a shop to install the AC, and then apply a tune.
You can get your bike tuned, by a shop, by running it on a dyno and having them adjust the Air/fuel ratio for your bike, usually runs about $500 and is a one time service. You cannot DIY. but once its done, if you change anything, its basically worthless.
Or they can sell you a mini computer that connects to your bikes computer and adjusts the AFR, that you can apply pre-canned tunes for.
PowerVision, Powercommander, FuelPak, ect, are available independently, take 5 minutes to plug into the bike and load a 'stage one'.
since you have the V+H, the fuel pak might be the way to go, inexpensive, has tunes for your pipes, just grab a V+H intake and the fuel pak and get wrenching.
Thanks so just to be clear. The fuel pack takes the place of a shop doing the tuning you describe?

Old 10-26-2018, 08:10 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrlucky74
Thanks so just to be clear. The fuel pack takes the place of a shop doing the tuning you describe?
Yup, they did their own testing in house, and determined for XX bike year ranges, with AC X, and pipes Y (X and Y being Their brand versions) that the bike runs best at these settings.
They have some 'generic' for other brands, as most pipes, and ACs dont vary too widely.
Obviously once you get past stage 1, doing those 2 changes, PLUS cams, or Heads or.... the performance and reliability of a good dyno tune starts to come through. but for stage 1, really your just adding fuel to compensate for the lower restrictions in the AC and Pipes, and USUALLY taking it off the 14.6:1 EPA regulated AFR so that your bike runs better, which is why they ALL say 'for track use only, not on public roads'

Old 10-26-2018, 08:32 AM
mstrlucky74
Tourer

Originally Posted by slvrscoobie
Yup, they did their own testing in house, and determined for XX bike year ranges, with AC X, and pipes Y (X and Y being Their brand versions) that the bike runs best at these settings.
They have some 'generic' for other brands, as most pipes, and ACs dont vary too widely.
Obviously once you get past stage 1, doing those 2 changes, PLUS cams, or Heads or.... the performance and reliability of a good dyno tune starts to come through. but for stage 1, really your just adding fuel to compensate for the lower restrictions in the AC and Pipes, and USUALLY taking it off the 14.6:1 EPA regulated AFR so that your bike runs better, which is why they ALL say 'for track use only, not on public roads'
Thanks