Northeast Tri-State Area NJ, NY, and Ct

Location for Pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,226 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Location for Pictures?

Does anyone know of a good location to take riding, action pictures? I have always wanted to get a picture of myself riding, while leaning into a curve, similar to the linked picture below.
I am a photography enthusiast, I would be shooting with an DSLR. When I take pictures, I like to take a lot of shots, so I can chose the best.

So, some of the criteria I am looking for:
  • A curve with a scenic background
  • Safe spot to take pictures
  • Light traffic
  • Easy turnarounds nearby (it would be dangerous to do u-turns on most twisty roads, and I would want to take 10 or more shots)
  • Ideally in Connecticut or North-Eastern PA, so it could be done without a helmet, though I do have a small half helmet I could pack.
The next thing I would want, is to find another photography enthusiast to go with or meet at the location so that we could take shots of each other. I am thinking early one Saturday morning. That would provide the best conditions: i.e., best natural lighting and least traffic.

Last edited by hairymoth; 06-13-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:24 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,190 Likes on 2,822 Posts

Hawks Nest

The following users liked this post:
hairymoth (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Hawks Nest
Thanks. That could work.. There are several scenic overlooks that would make good turn-around spots.
Traffic in the morning should be light.

I was also thinking of Rt 23, at the first sharp curve just west of the entrance to High Point.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:55 AM
16Bullitt
Grand HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

There's a bunch spots in Harriman State Park and Bear Mountain

hairymoth (04-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 08:33 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Im in the northern NJ area, and ive been shooting for 20 years so I guess Im an enthusiast. I know more about the NJ area, we have plenty of twisty turny mountain roads up here that are completely deserted, but it would require a helmet of some sort, or at least trying not to get caught.

hairymoth (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 12:31 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior

One of these Saturday mornings, would any one be interested in meeting up to take rolling pictures of each other, that we could later exchange?
I am thinking about quality shots, not taken with phones. A DSLR or a high capability mirrorless camera like a Canon EOS R.
I would probably be shooting a Canon 7D with an 80mm prime where there is enough room, otherwise a 17-55 f/2.8

I am thinking about meeting at point 1 (everyone from North Jersey has been there). Some possible spots for pictures (including safe places to park and shoot and places to turn around) are labeled 2 & 3 (shooter may need to walk a few hundred feet).
Another possible location is just to the left (on the map) of the meeting point (1). There is a driveway to a park/boat launch right there.

There are some other beautiful location in this area, but when you look closely, there is often a chain link fence or some eyesore, that you don't notice when riding by, but would look awful in a picture.

Weather looks bad this Saturday. I would prefer to do early morning for good light and low traffic, maybe meet at 8:00 AM.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:45 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master

Im down, could bring the 70-200 and 5D3

hairymoth (04-14-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 12:34 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior

This weekend looks promising; is anyone up for it?

It will still be pretty cold in the early AM, about 40º but it will be in the 50s probably by 10:30. We could meet at the spot I identified or we could try Bergen Harley, maybe at 9:30. They are still locked down except for service, so there won't be any of their normal Saturday morning activities, e.g., coffee, bagels, saddle-up rides.

As much as I hate the current state of affairs, we could do this while maintaining 6' social distancing.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:38 PM
madmaxnj
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Otterhole is the main road into that section of West Milford, so I don't know how light traffic will be on a weekend morning. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just offering a word of caution. You might be fine, or you might be better off up on Route 23 just past High Point heading into Montague.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:12 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master

Im going for a ride with a buddy next sunday, so it would be good timing, but weekend mornings are busy up there, but probably not terrible with the lockdown and whatnot.

Quick Reply: Location for Pictures?