Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

What's The Skinny On Centralia, PA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 04:50 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts
Default What's The Skinny On Centralia, PA?

Any PA forums members have info/insight regarding Centralia, PA? I'm intrigued by the place and am thinking of taking a trip over to see it.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

its on fire under ground coal fires in the mines

Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by touchdown
its on fire under ground coal fires in the mines
Yes that's what interests me. I'm looking for local info or from someone who's been there.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:56 PM
yellowpearlfb
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand you're looking for some one who was/is there.....not quite sure if you're going to find them....here's why:
Centralia is a borough and a near-ghost town in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its population has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 10 in 2010[5 as a result of the coal mine fire that has been burning beneath the borough since 1962. Centralia, which is part of the Bloomsburg-Berwick micropolitan area, is the least-populated municipality in Pennsylvania and is completely surrounded by Conyngham Township.

All real estate in the borough were claimed under eminent domain and therein condemned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1992 and Centralia's ZIP code was discontinued by the Postal Service in 2002. State and local officials reached an agreement with the remaining residents on October 29, 2013, allowing them to live out their lives there, after which the rights of their houses will be taken through eminent domain.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Yellow. Yeah all of that is why I want to go. I guess what I should have said is "Has anyone here gone to see it/what tips do you have and what shouldn't I miss?"

Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I have a sister in law that lives in Smoakin, Pa. Somewhat close to there. Riding around there would be interesting maybe for a weekend. A week? Or go far to go just there? No. Nothing of interest for me.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanHappy
I have a sister in law that lives in Smoakin, Pa. Somewhat close to there. Riding around there would be interesting maybe for a weekend. A week? Or go far to go just there? No. Nothing of interest for me.
This would just be a stop on the way to something else that probably falls into the same catagory

Old 03-31-2016, 06:10 PM
kberger
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Keep Going

Lots of nice riding in that area. Check out PA Grand Canyon

The following users liked this post:
BigWaterJim (02-13-2018)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:58 PM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Coming from Ohio I would recommend taking route 6 all the way to Towanda then head South. This is probably the best road in the state and along the way there are a few good stops. The Kinzue Bridge in Smethport then the PA Grand Canyon near Wellsboro then Bills Old Cycle Barn in Berwick. Getting close to Centralia is the town of Elysburg with Knoebels, a unique amusement park with no fees for parking or admission. They have one of the top ten rated wooden roller coasters in the country and it only costs $2.50 to ride it once. From there it is only twenty minutes to Centralia. Don't expect too much but is is cool to check out. You will see an abandoned church and a grid of roads and empty lots. The cemetery is still maintained by the township. I've heard that occasionally smoke can be spotted coming out of the ground but I have not personally witnessed it. From there it is only two hours to York so you might as well tour the Harley factory. Then I would go through the Gettysburg battlefield and make your way back home through Western Maryland and West Virginia.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:51 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

http://www.centraliapa.org/visiting-...ap-directions/

There are a couple of mines in the area. They offer tours of the mines themselves, (take a jacket even in summer), and give some insight to the Centralia history. There are also a few "furnace" locations in the area. Along with Danial Boone's birth place and the other things mentioned. In short, it's a trip worthy of several days. And the bonus is, it's mostly two lane windy, twisty, up and down roadways.

Quick Reply: What's The Skinny On Centralia, PA?