Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

HELP!! Need Small Quaint Towns In VT.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:32 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,318 Likes on 10,699 Posts
Question HELP!! Need Small Quaint Towns In VT.

G'day mates.

I will be headed from Burlington, VT east to NH. Could u tell me the exact locations of a few very small quaint VT towns in my line of travel. Or as close as possible to my line of travel?

Summertime travel of course on a bike.

Thank you!

BuzzCap7

Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Where in NH are you headed? That will sort of predict what route you take and towns you see if you are just going straight across east from Burlington to NH. What specifically are you looking for to do in the towns, just travel through, stop and shop, see covered bridges? Most towns in VT are small quaint towns, some have country stores, some have covered bridges, etc. There are many great motorcycle roads like rte 7, rte 2, rte 100, rte 125 and so on.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by dawg
Where in NH are you headed? That will sort of predict what route you take and towns you see if you are just going straight across east from Burlington to NH. What specifically are you looking for to do in the towns, just travel through, stop and shop, see covered bridges? Most towns in VT are small quaint towns, some have country stores, some have covered bridges, etc. There are many great motorcycle roads like rte 7, rte 2, rte 100, rte 125 and so on.
I was born and brought up in Boston and lived in New Hampshire. I have been all over New England a bazillion times. And I am familiar with a lot of those roads you are talking about. They are definitely excellent!

We will be coming across from the ferry, from Lake Placid. Heading over to Bretton Woods (Mount Washington Hotel) and then up Mount Washington itself up the auto road.

I am kicking myself big time because 2 years ago I rode through New Hampshire and just fell in love with some of the small towns. And all I did was ride through. And for the life of me I cannot remember the towns.

It truly was quaint, and All-American small-town white picket fences etc.

A covered bridge would be really cool. But to be more specific in answering your question my friend, I am only really interested in riding through the downtown area. And then on to the next town. Not stopping. Just writing through.

If it is a small town with one of those band centers in the middle of a Boulevard kind of thing where you would have a barbershop quartet and the like. Or in the middle of the town they would have a county fair with pigs and such.

Generally the smaller the town the better. Just a drive-through.

Know what I mean? So if you draw a line from Burlington Vermont to Mount Washington Hotel (or the mountain itself) that is the route we are going.

Does that help?

I do appreciate your looking into this for me.

BuzzCap7

Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure how much time you want to take to get across either, but I would consider heading out of Burlington to Essex and then take Rte 15 up to Cambridge and instead of staying on 15, I would take 108 over the mountain (only open in the summer) to Stowe. From Stowe, take 100 north back to Rte 15 and take 15 all the way to Danville and pick up Rte 2 over to St. Johnsbury. Once in St. Johnsbury, I'd cross over to Littleton NH and take I93 down to the Notch and Woodstock. Conversely, you could skip 108 and just stay on 15 the whole way, but 108 is great and Stowe is a nice quaint town. Yet another option would be to take Rte 2 out of Burlington and head south to Montpelier and pick up 14 south to White River Jct (where I live) and take Rte 5 north up through Norwich and Thetford and cross over into NH from Fairlee onto 25A and then 118 and you'll be in the white mountains where you want to be. The latter will give you many small quaint towns with band stands in the village greens, etc.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (04-02-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:22 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by dawg
Not sure how much time you want to take to get across either, but I would consider heading out of Burlington to Essex and then take Rte 15 up to Cambridge and instead of staying on 15, I would take 108 over the mountain (only open in the summer) to Stowe. From Stowe, take 100 north back to Rte 15 and take 15 all the way to Danville and pick up Rte 2 over to St. Johnsbury. Once in St. Johnsbury, I'd cross over to Littleton NH and take I93 down to the Notch and Woodstock. Conversely, you could skip 108 and just stay on 15 the whole way, but 108 is great and Stowe is a nice quaint town. Yet another option would be to take Rte 2 out of Burlington and head south to Montpelier and pick up 14 south to White River Jct (where I live) and take Rte 5 north up through Norwich and Thetford and cross over into NH from Fairlee onto 25A and then 118 and you'll be in the white mountains where you want to be. The latter will give you many small quaint towns with band stands in the village greens, etc.

Fantastic my friend. That is more of what I was looking for. I am saving the information and will look deeper into the roots.

We just came back from Stowe skiing at the resort. My freaking ***** it was cold. My kids in their friend liked it a lot. Snowboarding.

They actually have an indoor/outdoor pool that we were stupid enough to go in. LOL!

Either way, since you live in White River Junction, this is a long shot but do you know the "Figley's"? I do not know if they still live there. I think his 1st name is Jeff and they do not have kids.

Thank you very much for letting me know about the routes and small towns.

BuzzCap7

Old 03-31-2017, 04:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Haven't heard of the Figleys, been living/working here 24 years and with my occupation I pretty much know everyone.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,979 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Buzzcap,Dawg gave some great advice--I would think maybe 7south out of Burlington to New Haven,then 17 east to 100 to 14 south would give you some more small towns, 5 north to Wells River and cross over to NH 302[NH 302 paved last year] to Bretton Woods will give you some more small town looks-----I ride out of southwest NH on all the VT/NH/Maine roads all summer---we are spoiled here

Rocker

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 12:32 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Rocker NH
Buzzcap,Dawg gave some great advice--I would think maybe 7south out of Burlington to New Haven,then 17 east to 100 to 14 south would give you some more small towns, 5 north to Wells River and cross over to NH 302[NH 302 paved last year] to Bretton Woods will give you some more small town looks-----I ride out of southwest NH on all the VT/NH/Maine roads all summer---we are spoiled here

Rocker
Absolutely my friend. I heard him and you loudly. Believe me.

I have all of this down in my notes. So as I find tune my ride with my friends through this area, we will be riding those roads.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-04-2017, 03:55 AM
tehshortbus
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be remised if I didn't tell you about the amazing ride up Route 100 in VT. It's considered one of the top 10 best Scenic Byways in the USA!! I've ridden every inch of it from MA to Canada and I can throughly agree with it.

Going through towns like Dover, Ludlow, Killington, Pittsfield, Stowe, etc. Along the way I found a great little in that is very biker friendly, Trailside Inn just north of Killington in Pittsfield. Great younger couple running the place with the two kids. Made it a great place to crash after hitting a few breweries to have a beer next to the outdoor firepit.

Anyway, the riding is amazing up there!! You really can not go wrong!

-Eric

Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by tehshortbus
I would be remised if I didn't tell you about the amazing ride up Route 100 in VT. It's considered one of the top 10 best Scenic Byways in the USA!! I've ridden every inch of it from MA to Canada and I can throughly agree with it.

Going through towns like Dover, Ludlow, Killington, Pittsfield, Stowe, etc. Along the way I found a great little in that is very biker friendly, Trailside Inn just north of Killington in Pittsfield. Great younger couple running the place with the two kids. Made it a great place to crash after hitting a few breweries to have a beer next to the outdoor firepit.

Anyway, the riding is amazing up there!! You really can not go wrong!

-Eric

Thank you my friend, I have it written down. Greatly appreciate the post.

The Southern California Motorcycle Association I believe has it as one of their 10 best roads in the USA. And if not, it is definitely on their list. I may be getting it screwed up with VT 101 but either way, I wrote it down on my list I friend as one of my "must do" rides when I had up there.

Thank you again,

BuzzCap7