Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

HD Lube Sources

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:28 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CharliesHarley
I don't know if were all nuts with the oil, I know I get carried away with it all the time as to change all 3 fluid every 1500 miles with synthetic, which is probably over kill. From what little I under stand oil provides lubrication, cleans the engine, keep it running cooler (synthetic) and as to what I've experienced the synthetics oil's give me a lot more valve train, primary, and tranny noise when they get hot at 80 mph. Just for giggles I might go with a high quality 20-60 regular engine, 20-50 primary and 75-140 tranny to see if there is a difference. Is anybody running straight oil any more?
==================

1500 mile oil changes in all 3 places is way overkill with quality std dino amd esp with full syn.

Would be a good test to swap over to good quality std dino type motor/prim/trans oi to see what the diff is from a noise/driveability standpoint.

Please post results back here so we see what you found from 1st hand exp doing it.

Even though its a know issue even with quality full syn bike oil that it thins out a bit more when pushed hard (esp when hot outside) resulting in more engine/valvetrain noise then std dino of same grade and quality creates in same cond in same motor,trans,prim case.

But the down side to the std dino is at it doesnt flow as well cold as syn oil of same grade does and also that it starts to have issues at or above 250 deg f where full syn oil not only flows better at cold startup but also gives you 50+ deg's additional safety factor vs std dino too with full syn going to 300+ deg before having issues which is a huge benefit for the HD's lrg air cooled v-twin that gets very hot in summer traffic or when cruising at high speed in hot temp too.

So question is do you run a quality oil like spectro's heavy duty 20w-50 std dino specifically formulated for HD's for quieter motor operation and change it more often or do you run the a quality full syn like spectro's golden 20-50 full syn oil (M1 v-twin & amsoil MCV syn oils too!) also specifically formulated for HD's that will likely results in more engine/valve train noise too but protects better from heat by 50+ deg F which is a big plus?

Guess that decision should be made by the type riding and cond you normally ride the bike in & go from there.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 04-14-2016 at 11:25 PM.