Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Fumoto oil drain valve for H-D

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 01:55 PM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fumoto oil drain valve for H-D

I have one of these oil drain valves on my Duramax and it works well so I was wondering if anyone else used this and thought it would be a good idea for the bike ..? I checked with Fumoto's web site and it doesn't appear they offer one for Harleys but I did see one listed for a Honda motorcycle..? Just wondering if anyone else has used these and thought about using one for the bike..? Thanks

Old 08-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I use a 5/8ths wrench. Oil is too important have a faucet keeping it in.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I use a 5/8ths wrench. Oil is too important have a faucet keeping it in.
It is not a faucet, it is a ball valve, and these valves have been around for decades, they are simple and dependable.

I`ve been using them on my cars and trucks for many years, and never had so much as a drop leak out.

I don`t have one on my Harley, but it doesn`t have a drain plug on the tank (it`s a Softail )

The reason I use them on the 4 wheeled vehicles is that they are too low to crawl under and reach the plug (unless I raise the car). With the valve I just reach under with a pair of long needlenose pliers and flip open/close the valve.

Since the engine oil drain on the Harley is on the side of the sump, the valve would not be hanging down into harm`s way.

I`m not sure there is much advantage to using the valve on the bike, but I would not be afraid to use one.

Although now that I think of it...I`ve seen many posts here about guys who have boogered up the threads on a drain plug, so maybe the advantage is simply eliminating the removal and installation of the drain plug over many years time.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-09-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:20 PM
DMetcalf
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
It is not a faucet, it is a ball valve, and these valves have been around for decades, they are simple and dependable.

I`ve been using them on my cars and trucks for many years, and never had so much as a drop leak out.

I don`t have one on my Harley, but it doesn`t have a drain plug on the tank (it`s a Softail )

The reason I use them on the 4 wheeled vehicles is that they are too low to crawl under and reach the plug (unless I raise the car). With the valve I just reach under with a pair of long needlenose pliers and flip open/close the valve.

Since the engine oil drain on the Harley is on the side of the sump, the valve would not be hanging down into harm`s way.

I`m not sure there is much advantage to using the valve on the bike, but I would not be afraid to use one.

Although now that I think of it...I`ve seen many posts here about guys who have boogered up the threads on a drain plug, so maybe the advantage is simply eliminating the removal and installation of the drain plug over many years time.
I agree and in my opinion it makes sense to install and use one of these oil drain valves. I sent an e mail to Fumoto to inquire about acquiring one. I'll post later what their reply was if your interested.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:31 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

No thanks, I like pulling the plug and seeing hot oil pouring out at maximum flow. I also like having the magnet on the plug.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Not having a magnet would be a minus to me.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:59 AM
DMetcalf
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
Not having a magnet would be a minus to me.
I agree with the magnet being absent but using this device on my truck makes changing oil a bit easier and there is no chance of messing up any threads. Just my opinion. I'm checking with the manufacturer to see if they offer. Maybe I'll suggest using a magnet in their production..?

Old 08-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Don`t worry about the absence of a magnet on the drain plug, that is why you have an oil filter, and you change the oil every 5k...

Old 08-10-2015, 06:36 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Don`t worry about the absence of a magnet on the drain plug, that is why you have an oil filter, and you change the oil every 5k...
True dat

Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM
DMetcalf
Road Captain

I talked to a rep. from Fumoto yesterday and we determined what size I needed from the thread size used by Harley for the oil drain plug 1/2 in. x 20 tpi. I have one coming my way so I'll report after I install it. It's just so much easier to use and there is O chance of messing up any threads or needing to change out the o rings.. IMO.

Quick Reply: Fumoto oil drain valve for H-D