Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Amsoil engine, trans, primary fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:28 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by DCRANER
Thanks. I just wondered why their site says 20 / 50 engine oil recommended in all 3 holes, then offer a "NEW" line of oils made for trans and primary.
I think we can chalk that up to marketing and market share.
Amsoil going after the part of the market (like me) that uses something other then motor oil in the transmission and (like me again) something other then motor oil in the primary.

Bottom line, quality oil in all three holes is perfectly fine and of course everyone knows Amsoil is a great choice for that, and, Amsoil already has those customers.
But Amsoil knows there is still that other part of the market that use gear oil in the transmission and transmission fluid in the primary and some like me that simply use Harleys Formula+ in the transmission and primary.

So I suspect its reasonable that Amsoil would like to pick up some sales of people not already using their standard oil product in all 3 holes and market a product to directly compete with Harley or even the metrics, specifically worded for the purpose..

Old 03-24-2016, 10:08 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

alarmdoug pretty much nailed it!

Old 03-25-2016, 07:08 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

So bringing new high priced oils into a market already flooded with proven choices, that will not do anything differently then whats already available, seems like a necessary thing to some guys?.,,,

Old 03-25-2016, 07:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by big cahuna
So bringing new high priced oils into a market already flooded with proven choices, that will not do anything differently then whats already available, seems like a necessary thing to some guys?.,,,
Amazing isn't it? It's as if Harley owners are somehow consuming huge quantities of the stuff, which the industry is struggling to keep up with yet keen to make the most out of. I don't get it.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:12 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
It`s necessary to the guys who are selling it...

Old 03-25-2016, 07:55 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are funny. Amsoil is doing two things here...providing customers a demanded product and making a profit off of such. Question...what would you do if you owned a business? Would you not cater to your customers demands? Would you not capitalize on a particular market to increase profitably? You're lying your a** off if you answer no to either one of those questions. Why, when it comes to oil, espicially Amoil (or any oil company for that matter) the devil for doing so? Ingenious if you ask me.

Last edited by galaxyfe; 03-27-2016 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by galaxyfe
Why, when it comes to oil, is Amoil (or any oil company for that matter) the devil for doing so? Ingenious if you ask me.
I don`t have any issues with any company making a nice profit, as long as they provide a product that meets their claim.

I don`t think any of the major lube providers are producing sub standard products (that`s why I don`t think it matters one bit which brand you use).

Old 03-27-2016, 01:51 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCRANER
Thanks. I just wondered why their site says 20 / 50 engine oil recommended in all 3 holes, then offer a "NEW" line of oils made for trans and primary.
If you read the Amsoil site they state they made transmission and primary fluid for those of us that like designated fluids for the specific purpose. I myself like to run 20/50 in the motor and 75-110 in the transmission and AFT in the primary. Next order I'm going to try the primary fluid, but like Redline, there primary fluid might be the "Same fluid as our famous MTL gear oil"

Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by galaxyfe
You guys are funny. Amsoil is doing two things here...providing customers a demanded product and making a profit off of such. Question...what would you do if you owned a business? Would you not cater to your customers demands? Would you not capitalize on a particular market to increase profitably? You're lying your a** off if you answer no to either one of those questions. Why, when it comes to oil, espicially Amoil (or any oil company for that matter) the devil for doing so? Ingenious if you ask me.
Do you really think there is a need for another magical oil ? When there's too many of the same thing available, the demand drops for any particular product. And being your customers buy 1 qt of it at a time, and you only have a small percentage of the market, it's gonna take a long time to realize a profit from your investment. Here's another fun fact. Only a small percentage of the motorcycle sold today use a separate primary or transmission oil. The rest are lubed by the motors oil. So where's all the big profit gonna come from?.,,,

Old 03-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Deleted double post

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-30-2016 at 06:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gtirhd (03-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Amsoil engine, trans, primary fluids?