Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Spectro 75W-140 6-speed transmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 AM
BLUFLHX
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spectro 75W-140 6-speed transmission oil

Moco recommends GL-1 spec in the tranny.........doesnt matter what name is on the label.......But I prefer Amsoil.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

ORIGINAL: BLUFLHX

Moco recommends GL-1 spec in the tranny.........doesnt matter what name is on the label.......But I prefer Amsoil.
Just curious where you got that information at?

The original Harley transmission fluid was semi-synthetic gear lube GL-5. It has been that way for along time.My second choice would be GL-4.....but that would be it.

Perhaps Harley is actually recommending GL-1 in the transmissions. If that is the case, no wonder why they are recommending motor oil in the transmissions. Which in my opinion only.....Harley is completely wrong for recommending motor oil in the transmission. Companies that claim that you can use their motor oil in the transmissions are also wrong.

I believe Harley and other companies are only recommending motor oil for transmissions on a marketing scheme.This would probably attract more potential customers, because the maintence is much more simplified by saying "Same fluid for all three holes." In a way, I belive it is a practice to help compete with the metric cycles.....since they all pretty much share the same fluid. Furthermore, Harley is recommending SNY3 for all three holes.....so now a customer will buy a case of SYN3 at the store.....which is really expensive. Harley is making alot of money on this marketing plan. Some bikes can take up to six quarts to perform one service....expensive. Over $60 or more for a service....just in fluids.....rediculous.

It use to be that, one would buy one quart of transmission fluid, one quart of primary fluid, and 3-4 quarts of the engine oil of their choice. This is still alot less than using the One fluid for all technique and you get better protection this way.

In my opinion, put an engine oil of your choice in the engine only. Just use the correct viscosity and change when needed. Put a gear lube GL5 in the transmission only. For the primary.....use something between 10w40 through 20w50 or ATF.

Marketing folks.....

Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lost1

Anyone know if Spectro 75W-140 6-speed transmission oil is on the street yet? If so, where can I get it? I see it advertised in magazines but can't find it anywhere online and Spectro's website pretty much sucks for providing any useful information.

I want to try it to see if it'll dampen the gearbox noise my '07 has in 5th & 6th gears.
Original fill H-D oil was pretty good & noises were hardly noticeable. Dealer put Amsoil in all three holes at 1K service & tranny noise is much louder now. The Spectro oil says it specifically addresses tranny noise, so I figured I'd give it a shot before going back to the factory H-D oil.

Thanks!
Lost1:

I'm using the new Spectro as areseveral other '06/'07 Ultra riders, and the concensus is we will not run anything else in our trannys! It's that good!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1732578/tm.htm

Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I would use Spectro BUT:

1> Cant find it ANYWHERE locally.
2> Spectro Oils wont return emails.

So im using Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 in trans

Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: WVRDKING

Anyone know if Spectro 75W-140 6-speed transmission oil is on the street yet? If so, where can I get it? I see it advertised in magazines but can't find it anywhere online and Spectro's website pretty much sucks for providing any useful information.

I want to try it to see if it'll dampen the gearbox noise my '07 has in 5th & 6th gears.
Original fill H-D oil was pretty good & noises were hardly noticeable. Dealer put Amsoil in all three holes at 1K service & tranny noise is much louder now. The Spectro oil says it specifically addresses tranny noise, so I figured I'd give it a shot before going back to the factory H-D oil.

Thanks!
Lost1:

I'm using the new Spectro as areseveral other '06/'07 Ultra riders, and the concensus is we will not run anything else in our trannys! It's that good!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1732578/tm.htm

Dennis Kirk sells the new Spectro Platinum 6-speed tranny oil for about $17 a qt. I think I'll give it a try next time I service my transmission- in the Spring. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:57 PM
twiceretired
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted

Old 11-11-2007, 01:31 PM
wildspirit97
6th Gear

Thanks!

Any bike shop that carries a specto line should and would probably order it for you. That's how I had to get mine. It took three days but I got it. BTW....I'm stickn' with it. and I was also using the amsoil 75-90 before, but the s6 speed made a considerable improvement.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:45 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Have any of you tried Redline HD Shockproof. Not knocking the Spectro and it sounds like a great lube but , wow, 17 bucks a qt.??????

This price for MC stuff as opposed to mass marketed lubes is really getting out of hand.

JMHO
EZ

Old 11-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

Have any of you tried Redline HD Shockproof. Not knocking the Spectro and it sounds like a great lube but , wow, 17 bucks a qt.??????

This price for MC stuff as opposed to mass marketed lubes is really getting out of hand.

JMHO
EZ
I'm using Shockproof Heavy now. It's $10/qt for the "regular" stuff, $12/qt for the "V-twin" () variant.
It's great oil but I'm looking for something than can reduce the 5th gear whine a bit more.

The Spectro Platinum is exhorbinately priced, but if it does the job I don't mind paying for it once a year. If it doesn't I'll just say screw it and get $4/qt synthetic gear oil from Wal-Mart. If plain dino gear oil can protect tractor-trailer differentials & gearboxes that see 80,000 lbs. as a daily worlkload, these tiny little HD trannys that only have to haul 1000 lbs. and see new fluid annually certainly won't ever break down a synthetic gear oil...
And you're right- m/c specific lubes are a screwjob, especially for a Harley that doesn't have a shared engine/tranny sump.
That's why I run $4/qt Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic instead of the $9/qt V-Twin stuff. Same oil, half the price.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:11 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Try the Redline Shockproof heavy. 75w250.

Quick Reply: Spectro 75W-140 6-speed transmission oil