Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Different Bike, Same Size Motor, Changing Oils?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:49 AM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

HDSlimJim, if you would like you can take issue with oilspecification.org, but I am going to defer to my original statement that JASO MA/MB is for motor oil only

https://www.oilspecifications.org/ar...MA_JASO_MB.php

The motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard can be classified into four grades: JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system firction test.

In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3

Ken

Old 12-22-2017, 11:05 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by y22c
I sit corrected, but I would find it hard to believe a manufacture of "primary/wet clutch specific oil would make/sell a product that would cause clutch issues.

Just my .02 cents

Ken
Unless they were suicidal, they wouldn't make an oil that caused problems right off the bat...but...if they're trying to "maximize profit"...the CEO may decide to cut a few corners here and there (losing the JASO rating) that would cause problems that you wouldn't notice in the short run...but in the long run, your clutch wears out say, ~5000 miles sooner than it should have...can you prove it was the oil that caused the early wear...or was it your heavy backside?

So, the CEO boosted profits, added a 3rd pool to the mansion and your clutch failed sooner than it should have had you had a JASO oil...sound impossible? Not to me...

The Japanese came up with JASO because they were unhappy with America's loose standards..they wanted perfection...if you're going to dominate the racetrack, perfection is a must...there's no better way to sell motorcycles than to have them constantly taking the checkered flag...JASO is an important piece of the perfection puzzle.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 12-22-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:27 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Really ...................

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
Unless they were suicidal, they wouldn't make an oil that caused problems right off the bat...but...if they're trying to "maximize profit"...the CEO may decide to cut a few corners here and there (losing the JASO rating) that would cause problems that you wouldn't notice in the short run...but in the long run, your clutch wears out say, ~5000 miles sooner than it should have...can you prove it was the oil that caused the early wear...or was it your heavy backside?

So, the CEO boosted profits, added a 3rd pool to the mansion and your clutch failed sooner than it should have had you had a JASO oil...sound impossible? Not to me...

The Japanese came up with JASO because they were unhappy with America's loose standards..they wanted perfection...if you're going to dominate the racetrack, perfection is a must...there's no better way to sell motorcycles than to have them constantly taking the checkered flag...JASO is an important piece of the perfection puzzle.
My godson is a Redline dealer and I've used it at wholesale prices for several years. My '06 HD SG ate the cam bearings at 31k and it
became a built 103" engine. Gas on hard clutch slip became an instant problem. Switched the primary out with 15w40 dino oil that
was JASO and problem gone. Here's Redline's primary oil spec and no JASO so go figure. - https://www.redlineoil.com/v-twin-primary-case-oil
I know now that JASO is a clutch specific rating and other oils may work without it but not all. My experience.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:43 AM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim

If you were to purchase your oil at a 7-11 or some other convenience store I might agree that the oil may not meet the standard and the CEO is enjoying his 3 pools.

I purchase my oil from a motorcycle shop and it is made by Spectro which as been in business since 1966. I think if they made bad products the market would of driven them out of business decades ago.

Other motorcycle specific oil companies, Bel-Ray, started making powersport oil in the 70's, Maxima-1979, Torco-1950, Redline -1979, (now owned by Phillips 66).

All of the above blend a primary specific oil that is not JASO rated.

If my memory serves me, Mobil didn't enter the motorcycle market until '99 or 2000, and for Mobil, the market isn't big enough to make a primary specific oil when their motor oil will work.

The JASO rating for clutches didn't come about because of loose standards, it
came about because the government was pushing the auto industry for fuel economy and one of the answers was friction modified oils.

It is because of friction modified oils the Japanese auto industry developed the JASO MA/MA2 ratings.

Before friction modified oils any API rated oil of the time would work in a wet clutch application.

I like my Swiss Army knife, but I would rather have a real saw, a real pair of scissors, and a real screwdriver.

Once again, this is just my 2 cents.

Ken